300 tdi cooling fan switch temperature - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

300 tdi cooling fan switch temperature

Hi all,

When I bought my 110 a couple of years ago, it came with an electric fan with what appeared to be (from the VDO gauge) a 230 on/220 off temperature switch. I swapped this out for a 210 on/195 off, but I think it's still a bit too high - the thermostat is the stock 88 C (190 F). The 210/195 is much better than the 230/220, but I think kicking in the electric fan earlier would be better, say 195 on/185 off. What's the "correct" switch range for an engine with a 190 thermostat?

FYI, I wouldn't mind going to a mechanical fan, but mine is set up for the LT77 transmission, which sets the engine further back than a stock 300 Tdi - I'd be concerned about the effectiveness of the fan.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2012, 09:09 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
I have the same set up motor set farther back from the radiator than normal. I have been trying to figure out the right temp or the normal running temp. Mine seems to run up to 198 when going up hill and cools down to about 195 when its hot. any pointers from your end on this?
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:18 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

the problem with running the fan on the radiator temp is that it doesnt pull air across the intercooler..you would be much better getting a stock mechanical fan and stock shroud and adding an extension to the shroud if necessary..when you arent moving forward at any great speed and using the turbo (eg.. on the trails) the intercooler cant cool the charge air down and hence turbo performance is lost...as long as the fan is fairly close fitting inside the shroud and the shroud has no air gaps where it mounts to the rad it has no choice other than to pull air across the rad.. I combined the best of both with an explanation as to why on my build thread here..
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ound-the-world
ifyou cant see the pics and don't want to sign up...its free and an excellent site for land rovers as well... let me know and I will give you a password..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
I have this exact same problem with the fan shroud for a 300tdi not even coming close to the fan blade so there's a huge gap. I got a shroud for a 2.25 diesel from bossman(thanks man!!)as it seems to be deeper and will cover at least most of the intercooler. I'll have to cut some holes for a hose or 2 and extend a hose as well but it seemed to line up pretty good today. I'll take some pics of when we tackle it so everyone can see.
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Mine has a 200tdi (almost the same) and it has a kenlowe fan that I now switch on manually. No fan shroud, the fan only covers the radiator and the engine nearly never have to be cooled down. It nearly never goes up to the middle part of the gauge. In summer when really hot, on trails with load it might get hotter but nothing to be concerned. Shouldn't it be like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323jamie View Post
I have the same set up motor set farther back from the radiator than normal. I have been trying to figure out the right temp or the normal running temp. Mine seems to run up to 198 when going up hill and cools down to about 195 when its hot. any pointers from your end on this?
Per the VDO gauge (once I sorted the worst of the grounding issues) (sorry no infrared temperature sensor), my normal running temperature is around 185 or so. This was after I removed the lights the previous owner placed in front of the grill and then I had a five row radiator built and installed. The only time it climbs to 210 (the fan kick-on temperature) is up a really long hill with the AC on, and then only when the outside temperature is 100. With the old radiator & lights in place, the normal running temperature was 195.

I still need to sort out a couple of bad grounds, mostly for the cooling fan. When the cooling fan kicks on, the temperature gauge jumps up 10 degrees.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, fan, switch, tdi