300 TDi coolant temperature range - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2008, 09:28 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

300 TDi coolant temperature range

Coming back from California my coolant temperature ranged from 208 degrees down to 170 degrees as I went up and down 2,000 to 4,000 ft. passes. Generally it sat right at 202 degrees.
The fluctuations were greater than I had ever experienced with the gas V8 and I wondered if there was some issue that needed attention before I leave the rain and cold of Oregon for the sun and heat of the Southwest.
Also, sometimes even after I crested a pass and was headed downhill for a few miles the temperature still stayed at 208 degrees. Many times the temperature didn't even seem to correlate with the load (steepness of hill or whether I was going up or down). The temp gauge is a VDO. The boost turbo was 12-14 lbs. and it was 40 - 50 degrees outside.
I just had the head gasket, and thermostat replaced and the water pump checked out too (new one year ago). The radiator was recored with a larger unit last year.
More info: I now have A/C and the condensor is sandwiched between the radiator and a large aftermarket intercooler.
When I used a infrared thermometer to measure temperatures of the various hoses, engine block, head, coolant recovery tank I never got a temperature as high as the gauge was reading (then at 208 degrees) and the top of the radiator looked to be in the 50s and 60s. I think the thermometer is right.
Getting tired of the coolant temperature blues.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
my 2.8 manual states normal op range is 180-220. when I'm on the highway with the radiator muff fully snapped open (highway only driving), after about five minutes it gets to about 180 and stays there, unless I'm climbing up steep inclines, then it climes to between 190 and 200 and holds. it will go to 210 if I forget to open the radiator muff before getting on the highway. 5 minutes after I get off the highway, the temp will drop down below 160.

I have a Pendy special uber-radiator, built for the dakar or something(he gave me a little extra cooling than normal), so your temps sound pretty good to me. My TDI isn't happy until it hits 180 for a few minutes. if you are averaging 200, that sounds pretty good to me.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I can tell you that on my 400 mile drive home from Winter Romp today my temps were basically the same as yours with my Daihatsu 2.8 TDI, a similiar motor. I got up to 218 once at the top of a 4 mile long steep upgrade on I90. My thermostat is an 88 degree, I am looking to swap it for a 82 degree to get it fully open sooner under heavy loads. I am still using a series III radiator and the intercooler is mounted in front of it out of a Saab 900 turbo.
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
my tdi will get in the 200 range on the highway with the hammer down...
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Coming back from California my coolant temperature ranged from 208 degrees down to 170 degrees as I went up and down 2,000 to 4,000 ft. passes. Generally it sat right at 202 degrees.
The fluctuations were greater than I had ever experienced with the gas V8 and I wondered if there was some issue that needed attention before I leave the rain and cold of Oregon for the sun and heat of the Southwest.
Also, sometimes even after I crested a pass and was headed downhill for a few miles the temperature still stayed at 208 degrees. Many times the temperature didn't even seem to correlate with the load (steepness of hill or whether I was going up or down). The temp gauge is a VDO. The boost turbo was 12-14 lbs. and it was 40 - 50 degrees outside.
I just had the head gasket, and thermostat replaced and the water pump checked out too (new one year ago). The radiator was recored with a larger unit last year.
More info: I now have A/C and the condensor is sandwiched between the radiator and a large aftermarket intercooler.
When I used a infrared thermometer to measure temperatures of the various hoses, engine block, head, coolant recovery tank I never got a temperature as high as the gauge was reading (then at 208 degrees) and the top of the radiator looked to be in the 50s and 60s. I think the thermometer is right.
Getting tired of the coolant temperature blues.
Any ideas?
You think thats bad, if you could see the egt's when the water guage goes to 210 you would friek out!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I got my water temp to around 220 one time pulling a trailer through the rockies.

Old February 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Eddie 1
EDWARD BAHAW
Disco 1 TDI 300 SE

TDI 300

4 core radiator

Temperature range is 172 to 203 degree fahrenheit
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Buck....

I was watching the EGT all the time and it showed 1,000 degrees with spikes to 1,100 degrees - even at the hottest coolant temperature. That seemed OK?
I spent most of the time in the mountains with my eyes flitting from EGT gauge, to Turbo Boost gauge, to Coolant Temperature gauge. I should put them all side by side (Turbo Boost is down where the clock used to be).
Anyway, it sounds like everything is within normal range and I can concentrate my worries elsewhere.

Clark
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Deleted due to stupidity....
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have never made it to 220... has been my max 210 with egt's at 1200. Thsi was over a series of passes, towing with the fuel turned up.

With that said I will regularly get to 205ish with 1100 egt while on the freeway.
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Anything 1200 and under is good. I hit 1300 once. Actually, my buddy did while I rode shotgun.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:57 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Before upgrading the cooling, I was regularly hitting 220 on the highway. Now it is a rare event if ever. I do need to put a temp sensor in the trans though.
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I forgot to say I have a 4 core industrial radiator...

(5speed or auto) Is tranny temp worth it? I have been thinking about this one...
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
I forgot to say I have a 4 core industrial radiator...

(5speed or auto) Is tranny temp worth it? I have been thinking about this one...
Do you mean fluid cooler or guage? I think a trans cooler is very worthwhile on an auto. No point on a manual. I don't think a guage is worth it on either. Pure opinion though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, coolant, tdi