300 Tdi coolant leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:42 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

300 Tdi coolant leak

Finally got the D90 back with a new head gasket and air conditioning installed.
After it sat for the night I noticed a coolant puddle and after I started it up I could see that it was dripping along the driver's side (it's an NAS) of the motor between the oil pan and the block. A drip every few seconds and while it ran along the gasketing material between the pan and the blosed that way until the motor gets cold - many hours.
I didn't think there were any coolant channels down there and all I could think of was a cracked block.
Any ideas?

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I am willing to bet that the leak is coming out of the water pump further up and you have only noticed it down below. I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Only leaked when it was warm at first. Then got worse, and finally had to be fixed. It is the seal behind your water pump. The good news is, it's not "that" bad and can be done yourself. New bolts and a gasket is like $30 or so if I am remembering right.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:19 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks Buck.

I initially thought that might be the issue, but couldn't see any drip trails down the block. I'll have another look since the just removed and then replaced the waterpump when they found it was ok. They were looking for my coolant overflowing - it was a head gasket.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I also had a couple hoses leaking until they got good and seated. On the large inlet hose by the alternator I had to get a heavier clamp to get it tight enough, a little hose clamp wasnt doing it. It was weeping through at the bottom and running down stuff, hard to see, but all the while making a mess.

Old February 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Try the "P" gasket between the casting that holds the PAS pump, the alternator, and the water pump. It will leak onto the front of the oil pan on the drivers side. It's a little tricky to see where it's coming from but is a common leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9010152.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	12075   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9010153.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	12076  

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
Try the "P" gasket (...)It's a little tricky to see where it's coming from but is a common leak
Does it look like this?
It started last week.
Attached Images

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II
Does it look like this?
It started last week.
Yep, thats the one.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

That's the right spot. I think Matt's pictures show the culprit, but I'll re-check all the hose connections.
It is surprising how coolant can run down the motor and not leave a trail but stay on the garage flooor - unevaporated - for days, weeks, ??
Clark
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
It's surprising how it started to leak...suddenly!
I checked the coolant level and it's already a good inch less!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Not to worry as it isn't a bad fix at all. You don't actually even have to take the water pump off (although now would be a really good time to replace it if at all questionable).

This is the bit that needs to be removed
...holds the alternator and the PAS pump, as well as the belt tensioner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9010155.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	12085  

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks Matt....

Oddly, it has stopped leaking even after sitting overnight. Crossing my fingers, but if it comes back I'll pull that piece.
I do wonder why LR has so many head gaskets go bad around 70,000 miles. I've had three or four go in various RR V8s and one in a D90 V8. Maybe the same design team that handles oil seals does the work.

Clark
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Assuming you have a LHD, on the drivers side of the block you also have 3 core-plugs and a coolant drain plug. The rear core-plug blew on my 300tdi, was fixed by the main dealer and then began leaking again about six months later. The plug had not been installed square.

Could be worth checking, as if the core-plug blows you basically dump all your coolant in seconds and a warped head is nigh guaranteed...

Mark
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks Mark...

I'll give it a look.
Oman, now that sounds like an interesting place to have a LR.

Clark
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Thanks Mark...

I'll give it a look.
Oman, now that sounds like an interesting place to have a LR.

Clark
Only if 1700km of coastline, plus mountains and desert rings your bell...
Been here 16 years and can't seem to drag myself away. Knocks the UAE into a cocked hat (Flame on!)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, coolant, tdi