300 TDi Conversion to 2.5NA -- Am I Crazy? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 28th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Bayonet16
Ed
1984/110

300 TDi Conversion to 2.5NA -- Am I Crazy?

1984 Land Rover 110 with a 300 TDi conversion. Currently stationed in Germany and would really like to import it back to the states next year, but is not importable with current eng. Bought it with a complete 2.5NA (believed to be working) and am getting ready to do the swap. Only parts I need to source, I think, are the frame brackets.

I have limited spare time, but I really like this truck (sloppy xfr/trans, rusty/leaky bulkhead & doors and all). Am I crazy to want to do this? Should I reconsider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2015, 07:30 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

We all get emotionally attached to these rigs- who would do so cognitively?!?! But, you would be much better off financially locating a nice orig 200 for import. Use your existing truck as the venue to do so- i.e., for transport whilst searching, etc.
Beyond that, spend whatever it takes if your existing truck warrants such to you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:13 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Yeah man. Just search for another vehicle. If you can't find it swap the engine, ship your 300 as hhg. Reinstall at a later date.

Or do the smart thing and buy a g wagon or a really nice Land cruiser.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2015, 08:17 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet16 View Post
1984 Land Rover 110 with a 300 TDi conversion. Currently stationed in Germany and would really like to import it back to the states next year, but is not importable with current eng. Bought it with a complete 2.5NA (believed to be working) and am getting ready to do the swap. Only parts I need to source, I think, are the frame brackets.

I have limited spare time, but I really like this truck (sloppy xfr/trans, rusty/leaky bulkhead & doors and all). Am I crazy to want to do this? Should I reconsider?
From my perspective it is not too hard to do an engine swap.
There is a member named Kurt Ohlendorf in Bremen, Germany.
Kurt is magic at making custom anything out of metal.
Kurt's handle is Arlo.
I can't speak for Kurt's availability or willingness to help, but he seems like a first class guy.

Am of the opinion that Kurt or any good fabricator could build a set of mounts to go from a 2.5N/A over to your 300TDI mounts.
Then you are set to get it here where you can later switch back.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 28th, 2015, 09:45 AM
dwayne
Dwayne
88 LR110

Registry
I had bought my 1988 LR 110 in 2011 from a guy in the UK with a 300Tdi drove it around Germany just before it was time to go in 2013. I had to buy a 3.5 with a trans from Scotland and had to pick it up from a friend in the UK. That was fun. Did the whole swap at the little auto shop in Hohenfels. Had to weld in the V8 engine mounts and cut out the 300Tdi. As for your engine mounts try these links. I hope that this can point you in the right direction

you try this or talk to them about it. https://www.steveparkers.com/product...yl-v8-chassis/

these guys might be able to help Miscellaneous Parts, Kits and Engines | Product Categories | Motor & Diesel Engineering (Anglia) Limited
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Bayonet16
Ed
1984/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
I had bought my 1988 LR 110 in 2011 from a guy in the UK with a 300Tdi drove it around Germany just before it was time to go in 2013. I had to buy a 3.5 with a trans from Scotland and had to pick it up from a friend in the UK. That was fun. Did the whole swap at the little auto shop in Hohenfels. Had to weld in the V8 engine mounts and cut out the 300Tdi. As for your engine mounts try these links. I hope that this can point you in the right direction

you try this or talk to them about it. https://www.steveparkers.com/product...yl-v8-chassis/

these guys might be able to help Miscellaneous Parts, Kits and Engines | Product Categories | Motor & Diesel Engineering (Anglia) Limited
So it was worth it? Great to hear that someone has had a similar experience. Thanks for the links.

Did you use the military to ship your 110 back, or a shipping company?

I've spent a lot of time at Hohenfels at JMRC, and at Graf. Love it down there. Beautiful area. Thanks again.
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Bayonet16
Ed
1984/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
From my perspective it is not too hard to do an engine swap.
There is a member named Kurt Ohlendorf in Bremen, Germany.
Kurt is magic at making custom anything out of metal.
Kurt's handle is Arlo.
I can't speak for Kurt's availability or willingness to help, but he seems like a first class guy.

Am of the opinion that Kurt or any good fabricator could build a set of mounts to go from a 2.5N/A over to your 300TDI mounts.
Then you are set to get it here where you can later switch back.

Fabbing-up a 2.5NA mount that uses the existing 300 mount is a great idea. Thank you. Bremen is about four hours away, unfortunately. Will contact him to see if he has any ideas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, conversion, tdi