300 Tdi Chassis Mounts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
300 Tdi Chassis Mounts

Does anybody have (or can point me in the right direction) pictures of the chassis portion of the 300Tdi motor mounts?

We are about to stuff the 300 into my 110 this weekend and I am not sure yet about fabbing up the mounts. Can I just relocate the 2.5 NA mounts (doubtful) or will I need something a little different? I have the engine portion and rubbers.

Of course if anyone has some measurements on the placement of the new mounts, I would be interested as well.

I have, I believe, most everything I will need along with the engine and R380 gearbox. These will be replacing the 2.5 NA and short bell housing R380 that are currently powering the truck now.

I have been told that the new R380 with the longer bell housing will drop right into the spot where the short bell housing gearbox now sits, moving the 300 into the right position in the engine compartment. At least, that's what I am counting on.

Any additional info greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Pendy has them and a template for their location.
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

2.5na trucks are different. I recomend attaching the transfer case/transmission to their mounts. And then mount the engine and hang it to get the motor mount location. Your seatbox is different then the later trucks and makes it a hassle.

Good luck

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
2.5na trucks are different. I recomend attaching the transfer case/transmission to their mounts. And then mount the engine and hang it to get the motor mount location. Your seatbox is different then the later trucks and makes it a hassle.

Good luck
Yep. You may have to move the drivetrain back as well. I had to move mine back about 1.5in to fit it properly. Looking back on it I would have gone back a full three inches for weight distribution and a shorter rear driveshaft. But that is a unique concirn. If you need help, post up as you go. I did exactly what you are about to tackle.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Sorry, didn't see the 2.5NA - just assumed it was a 93 NAS. My bad.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose
Does anybody have (or can point me in the right direction) pictures of the chassis portion of the 300Tdi motor mounts
Thanks
Brett
this may help.....not my work, off some English forum.

That's pretty much it though. I have an actual template of the location, as well as the bits for the mount fabrication if you need them. I'd reckon you should be able to get it though. Like Pendy said, hang the thing in there first before the final welding.

Is the old lump/tranny for sale yet?

Follow-up Post:

If you really need the templates for the weekend you'd better call (207 450 2187)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 300Tdi mounting dimensions.zip (698.2 KB, 208 views)

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

This is timely. I need the same info if I can ever get my 300tdi and gearbox here from the uk.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The 2.5 NA had the LT230 in a different location. I would figure out the whole thing and start over with everything where it is in a 300Tdi set up. Change the driveshafts for the correct ones and reposiiton everything.

Ron
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi all,
I have just done this swap on my own 300tdi 90 build, the chassis started out as a 300 tdi chassis that i modified to take a V8 and autobox but i changed my mind and made new engine mounts, i have a template which gives accurate location of the engine mounts for a 300TDI taken from the steering box holes. i can take pics of it against a rule if that helps.

or if it is of use to anyone you can have it for the price of carridge.
let me know if you want some pics of the mounts before i put the wings on.

I am using a hp22 autobox with an R380 crossmember/gearbox mount mated to a 300TDI.
all fits in the original positions.!

have fun...It drove me nuts.!!

Gren
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:26 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Thanks all for the info. My thinking is that the newer R380 should bolt into the same spot as the old R380 so I didn't think that the seat box would be a concern. The longer bell house would move the tdi forward of where the 2.5 NA sat, basically into the stock 300 position. The only difference I have seen between the two gearboxes is the bell housing length.

Which ever way the mop flops on this, I have an excellent welder/fabricator friend helping me out, so we should be able to work it out. We will mount the gearbox, hang the engine, and do the mounts. It was also suggested that once the motor is in roughly the right spot, to instal the rad and cowl, then centre the fan in the cowl, putting the engine at the correct height. Seems to make good sense. With the pix that Matt included, we should be able to whip up some mounts.

And Matt, I haven't forgotten about your interest in the 2.5 NA. ;-)

Only three more sleeps till the big day!

Brett
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Have fun mate.

It's like musical frigging engines around here right now. International 2.8's, 300TDi's, 4.6 V8's all going in. The shop looks like a combination of some bizare plumbing inspired art show and a plane crash.....or is that just in my head....damn bats....I just hope to keep it all straight so nobdy leaves the hospital with the wrong baby

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:31 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Well, it was a damn fine weekend. Unfortunately we didn't quite get it finished, but darn close. I think all we have left is to sort out the fuel lines in and out, put the rad in, a couple of hoses, a couple clamps on the exhaust, add oil and water and turn the key.

It was getting late last night and we were all a bit knackered. I think if we had pushed into the wee hours we could have got it finished, but that might have been pushing it a bit.

Everything fit surprisingly well. Because my truck had an R380 with the short bell housing already in it, we were able to just offer up the new gearbox onto the same mounts and that put the tdi into exactly the right spot. I was also able to reuse my original prop shafts (which was good because I didn't have any others). My friend Tom made up some chassis mounts and welded them into place based on the pictures I was sent and I am sure that they could probably pass for genuine. No problem with the seat box, so that was a nice bonus.

One problem we did have was the exhaust. The Britpart front pipe I have fouled on everything. Once we finally got it to mate up to the manifold, the other end was up tight against the gearbox and the cross member. We ended up using the sawsal on it at about the middle, then rotated the end about 75 degrees, and Tom stitched it back together. Fit just right then. The rest of the exhaust seemed to fit well and Tom just had to fab up some new hangers.

Another thing that slowed us down a bit was the night before we started, I realized that although both the gearboxes were R380's, they had the slave cylinders on opposite sides. We had to make do with what pipe and fittings we had at hand, but in the end we won. Bit of a struggle getting the old and the new pipe routed behind the brake booster though. It did give me a chance to replace a leaky clutch master with new, so it was all good.

Anyway, my only free night this week will be on Wed. so the rest of the work will have to wait a few more days, but most likely, we will just wait till Sunday and finish 'er up then.

This has been so long in the planning, I guess another week won't kill me!

Brett
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Nice. You'll be blowing black smoke in no time.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Splendid work, you'll notice the difference in power
Any pics?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Ok, here are a few pix of the festivities. Obvously the next project on the truck will be a paint job

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4475a.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	13016   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4482a.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	13017  

Name:	DSCN4487a.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	13018   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4494a.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	13019  

Name:	DSCN4497a.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	13020   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4505a.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	13021  

Name:	DSCN4515a.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	13022  
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Aviation stripper headed your way. From Wichita shes hawt...................

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:40 AM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
I like the pictures I have just fabricated new motor mounts for the the existing 2.5na with the same transmission

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, mount, tdi