300 Tdi broken rocker arm *pics* - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

300 Tdi broken rocker arm *pics*

Has this caused major damaged? Do I need to replace the assembly or just the one arm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	060.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	30356   Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	30357  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Probably no damage since the valve would just stay closed. I should think a new part will do the trick, however I would have the rest magnafluxed.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

My first concern would be what caused the rocker to break. Make sure that it wasn't due to any interference in the valvetrain. Check the lifter and the valve for proper operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had this similar problem with a rebuilt 300tdi I bought. The engine broke 2 different adjusters screws. I ended up replacing all of them and has never had a problem since.. Just replace the rocker for now.. Its easy to do and adjust the valves...
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

It probably had a broken cam belt at some time in its history (find me a Tdi that hasn't!) so weakened the rocker.

Might pay you to get a couple of spares (one of each, there's a "left" and a "right" angled one) so if one breaks again, it'll just be a trailside repair.

RH one is ERR3343 20.70 UKP
LH is ERR3342 20.70 UKP

there's a bush shown as ERR1203 22.52 UKP which is mightily expensive (more than the rockers themselves), although from microcat the above numbers show the bush & the rocker.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Have you been adjusting valves clearance every 6,000 miles ?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
kevkon
kevin

Hey Randy, fellow TDI Jerseyan, did you or were you able to determine the mfr of those broken rocker screws ? What make did you replace them with?
It's still a good practice to ascertain that there is nothing in the valvetrain that's binding or seized when you break a rocker or bend a push rod.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
Have you been adjusting valves clearance every 6,000 miles ?
Just done the conversion so the history is unknown.

Ordered new rockers from George today.

Thanks!
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:32 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

Got the new rocker today but before I start I have a question about the rocker numbers. Does rocker number 1 start at the front of the engine and go to the rear in sequence? What are the four rocker shaft assembly bolts torqued to? Rave wasn't much help or I was looking in the wrong place.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:35 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have seen this on a 300 once before, it was an exhaust rocker and made one hell of an interesting noise through the intake.
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Just to make sure I would check the timing. It is a very easy thing to do with out taking much apart. I would also make sure that the rod is not bent. If the motor is questionable on the miles since the rebuild I would consider doing a timing belt change. I would get the modification kit to the newer style tensioner and pulley. That is unless you have taken it apart and know that the modification kit has already been installed. I would keep the old belt as a spare. my2cs
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

300 Tdi

I strongly suggest getting hold of the 300 Tdi specific factory shop manual or a copy there of. The timing sequence isnt complicated but it is somthing that needs close attention. Just as installing the timing belt does on these engines. You need the manual and it certainly helps to have the proper tools.

One thing that I cant help but notice from the pics is the failure of this particular rocker. In the left photo the rocker appears to have broken off at a point right where the part number casting took place. In the right photo the granular nature of the break in the top half of the rocker, which is also it's thinest cross section vs. the bottom half of the rockers somewhat smooth (sheared) surface would lead me to think that something was introduced in the way of crack propagation during the mfg. process. Whats weird is the although the failure of the part seemes to have originated from the lower of the two stress points while in operation, it seems to me you'd have to be trying pretty hard to crack a rocker from the top down. I'd be curious if there's any known history on this engine, it's milage, any replaced parts and if the timing settings have been confirmed.

Mark
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonough View Post
One thing that I cant help but notice from the pics is the failure of this particular rocker. In the left photo the rocker appears to have broken off at a point right where the part number casting took place. In the right photo the granular nature of the break in the top half of the rocker, which is also it's thinest cross section vs. the bottom half of the rockers somewhat smooth (sheared) surface would lead me to think that something was introduced in the way of crack propagation during the mfg. process. Whats weird is the although the failure of the part seemes to have originated from the lower of the two stress points while in operation, it seems to me you'd have to be trying pretty hard to crack a rocker from the top down. I'd be curious if there's any known history on this engine, it's milage, any replaced parts and if the timing settings have been confirmed.

Mark
seems to me the shinny area is the slow growth crack that polished itself over thousands of cycles and the granular area is the fast fracture zone - so the failure is bottom up, in the direction of stress. no? - but yes - straight up to the part number area.
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

rocker

yes, it certainly seems that a slow growth crack could have developed at the high stress (underside) area from common cycling until the part failed.

I wonder if somthing crept into the part due to valve train slap on that particular rocker from a misadjusted valve. Something way out of ajustment would have the rocker floating between cycles and seeing higher than normal sudden loading on both ends of contact.

As it is with so many things that break, it's sometimes hard to tell what hapopened first. These photos are some of the best I've seen on this subject though. Ive looked at them several times now. The other puzzling thing is that the direction of separation seems to be on a pretty well formed diagnol across the load path. Ive seen rockers break off at the lobe end, at the adjustment end, at the adjuster itself but the features of this part present an interesting case study indeed!

Mark
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:06 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Hey Randy, fellow TDI Jerseyan, did you or were you able to determine the mfr of those broken rocker screws ? What make did you replace them with?
It's still a good practice to ascertain that there is nothing in the valvetrain that's binding or seized when you break a rocker or bend a push rod.
I was not but I checked the 2 separate intake valves that broke and they had no problems.... THe adjusters that broke had a slight different casting at the top. not sure of who made them. They were replaced with new Genuine Adjusters...

What sux is that you have to remove the entire rocker assembly even to do 1 screw... Not a big deal but you then have to reajust the valves again.... Only takes about 10 min.. though.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
someone make a TDI valve adjustment thread
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

so what kind of - symptoms - does this kind of failure create? Noises, loss of power, ?
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
so what kind of - symptoms - does this kind of failure create? Noises, loss of power, ?
runs on 3 cylinders... very rough.... lots of smoke...
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:57 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
someone make a TDI valve adjustment thread
It's been discussed here, quite simple and easy operation. The only pita is to turn the crankshaft.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:46 PM
kevkon
kevin

Out of curiosity, was the adjuster screwed that far in when it broke?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi