300 Tdi Brake Vacuum Pump - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2014, 04:37 PM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

All-

I've had no issues with oil leaks or poor brake performance since I made my repair to the vacuum pump.
Pull the pump and do it on the bench- much easier to do vs in-place as noted in this thread above. The first
couple of links supplied by Don130 above have good pix and narrative on these repairs. Pretty easy to do.

Hope others find this thread useful in the future.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2014, 09:58 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrufy View Post
All-

I've had no issues with oil leaks or poor brake performance since I made my repair to the vacuum pump.
Pull the pump and do it on the bench- much easier to do vs in-place as noted in this thread above. The first
couple of links supplied by Don130 above have good pix and narrative on these repairs. Pretty easy to do.

Hope others find this thread useful in the future.

Tim
Cool, good to know. I'm going to restore my old one that had a slow leak to put up for sale.
Old May 25th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Though the main body seal can fail (and allow oil leakage), there are other internal valve parts that can fail too. So I'd be wary about this being the "Fix" for all situations of a lack of vacuum. With having read over 3 hours on foreign posts about these pumps, brand new units fail at high rate and exhibit no oil leak, they simply stop sucking in a short time after install (such as mine with 246 miles) and being under warranty, no one pulls them apart to discern the reason for failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2014, 01:22 AM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

Dennis-

Very good observations - other internal parts can certainly fail, causing loss of vacuum w/out any external oil leakage from failed gaskets or seals. In my case, perhaps I just got lucky- oil leakage- and lots of it, was my main issue, so drilling out the rivets and replacing them with screws was all I needed to do to solve my problem. As mentioned earlier, I never had any brake issues. With hindsight, perhaps I should have named this post 'leaking like a sieve 300tdi vac pump'.

I would be interested if anybody has some fixes for any of the internal valves and seals.....

Tim
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Tim,
My original WABCO (and still working) slightly leaked oil so maybe all it need is a new gasket as did yours. I was keeping it as a emergency back up in my spares collection. I do plan on returning the new/defective unit & just installing the old one which has a slight leak. But maybe I'll hold off & wait for a new unit & rebuild the old "spare" as you did. Be sure to check your servo for the hair line crack. I hooked up my MITIVAC to check for a vacuum leak and it held for quite some time but did leak down after about 1/2 hour. There are only a couple of domestic sources that have the servo's in stock, AB & RN. The old servo # is STC442 with a newer part # of LR013488 (that would be for the NAS D90's).
Old May 26th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Well, I've removed the defective unit & the in/out plunger is stuck in the retracted position. Not sure why but better to fail in that position than extended where it could possibly damage the cam shaft.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, ac, brake, tdi, vacuum