300 TDI Block Heater Part # - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 26th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
One more thing- do these freeze plugs knock out from the edge or do you have to punch a hole and pry them out?

punch and pry. being careful not to push the whole thing into the water jacket

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle douglas View Post
punch and pry. Being careful not to push the whole thing into the water jacket
10-4

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:17 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Punch one side it "should" rotate so you can grab it.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No way would I put a block heater anywhere other than the front freeze plug.

Jeff, the plugs come out same as any, just hit it near the edge with something big and it will rotate out. Clean up the bore and install the plug heater per the directions. They provide a torque setting for the center screw, don't exceed that or it will leak. Ask me how I know...
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
No way would I put a block heater anywhere other than the front freeze plug.

Jeff, the plugs come out same as any, just hit it near the edge with something big and it will rotate out. Clean up the bore and install the plug heater per the directions. They provide a torque setting for the center screw, don't exceed that or it will leak. Ask me how I know...
That was my thinking too, so that when it leaks next year after its in the truck, I'll have a remote chance in hell of access to change it out.

I'll be carefull not to overtighten...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:48 PM
Chriscadet3
Chris Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
The 3100087 fits the 300Tdi as well. I have one in mine. Haven't had to use it yet, but it's starting to get pretty cold again.

Brett

Follow-up Post:

I installed mine before fitting the engine to the truck. Fairly easy that way but the core plug is somewhat blocked by the turbo, so it could be some fun fitting the heater with the engine in place.

Brett
I purchased a block heater for my Land Rover. Engine is 300tdi. Does anyone have information or photos showing the install?
Old April 4th, 2015, 01:20 AM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
I originally installed the block heater in the centre hole but did it when the engine was out. It stopped working this winter and it turns out you can't get to it without doing some major dismantling. Didn't want to do that so installed a new heating in the in the front hole. Turns out that is a bit of a tricky location too as the hole is not centered between the first and second cylinders. You need to offer up the heater and then turn it until the heating element slides in between the cylinders. It then needs to be tightened up to 20-25 in.lbs. Don't know how to measure that, but it isn't much. Mine leaked and I had to snug it up a couple times without over tightening until it finally stopped. All is well now and the heater helped get the 110 started a couple times this winter up north in -30c temps.

I see you are fairly close to me Chris. Not sure where you got your heater from but if it's the Temro, check the size before knocking out the core plug and commenting yourself. I didn't check and after the plugs was removed, I found the heater was too small. The packaging listed the correct item but the heater was too small. The correct heater should have a diameter of 2.06 inches. The two I received had a diameter of 1.62 inches. Somebody screwed up somewhere and it took several calls to Temro to get the correct sized shipped out.

Looks like we are finally out of the deep freeze now so shouldn't need to plug in again until next winter I hope.

Brett
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:55 PM
NC_MULE
Pat
1991 Range Rover Classic w/300tdi

I purchased a block heater for my 300tdi from Rovers North, a little more expensive then you guys found but those guys always treated me well when I was buying Series parts. I did the first frost plug left side as well. It was a very tight fit. After carefully trying every possible spot I ended up bending the heating element a few degrees open from it's starting point of 90 deg. Even then it would only fit in one position, the 5 oclock position which looks to be exactly where the previous guy installed his. I had a inch pound torque wrench handy but it was too tight to get it in and hold the heater. I ended up doing snug plus a 1/4 turn. I has not leaked after several weeks. The heater works great, I have to climb a long steep hill on the way to work and the engine is much happier climbing that hill when it's been plugged in.
The Rovers North heater is made by Temro Industries.

pb

**rotate my pictures to the right, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3113[1].jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	212017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3114[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	212025  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, heater, part, tdi