300 tdi - baad economy - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 15th, 2012, 07:46 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

It doesn't smell like gear oil.

I'm going to bring it to HH this week so the Kilroy's Rover Society can have a go at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2012, 09:02 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

I would take the time and really dbl check the timing. I have seen them with decent power but bad MPG with timing off a touch. Your "perfect" timing may or may not be as originally indicated with the marks....gotta find the sweet spot.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old May 15th, 2012, 10:40 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

What is the best way to check the timing? DIY? Diesel mechanic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2012, 10:46 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97XD View Post
What is the best way to check the timing? DIY? Diesel mechanic?

Do a little research. Not blowing you off but it will be tomorrow until I can dbl ck the book. I use the factory manual. IIRC you need to remove the ft plate to access the marks. Some 300TDI had an upgrade to prevent the gear from moving from the "set" position.

Give us call or PM and we can walk through it.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

My 300TDI conversion also normally gets 17-18mpg - uphill, downhill, side streets or freeway all seems to be dead nuts in this range. I dream of low-mid 20's mpg and would really like to know how to get there. There is no problem with the emergency brake and the tire pressure is fine if not on the high side of normal. There are no fuel leaks. This mileage is over a year and a half of driving - never below 16-something, never above 18-something.

* the engine isn't new, it was a used engine which I had the head rebuilt on. The cylindar walls have noticeable wear so it's not fresh, but since the engine doesn't really use oil I'm assuming it's not critically worn.

* the truck has an OME shock/spring kit on it, which causes it to sit 1.5" taller. The tires are one size larger than stock. I have the factory NAS roof rack (see my photo). This all subtracts some mileage I know. I also installed the fiberglass top, which provides slightly better mileage than the softtop.

* the TC was replaced with one from a Discovery when it went out... so, I'm not sure exactly what gear ratio that is.

* on level ground I have no problem holding 75mph unless there is a big headwind, but a slope does quickly push that back down in the 60's and big uphills require downshifting and driving in the 50's.

* power seems OK-ish, but not sure what to expect. It's much less power than the V8 it replaced.

* I get a puff of black smoke when starting, and when accelerating from a stop or very hard acceleration.

* I replaced the fuel injectors with brand new ones, which made no noticeable difference in mileage or performance.

* I slightly adjusted the off-idle adjustment on the injection pump a few months after the conversion (there were three steps in the 300TDI tuning thread, I just did step #1 and won't modify it further without installing the EGT gauge I have sitting in a box waiting for me to not be lazy). This made no noticeable change in mileage but very slight change in off-idle performance (unless it was just my optimism that I did in fact do something productive).

* power goes down when it gets warm - noticeably. The radiator was installed new (brass style) with the conversion but the intercooler is old. Fan clutch was replaced.

* there is no EGR installed.

I am also open to ideas!
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't want to rub it in, but I've been daily driving the 110 recently...mostly around town / low-speed highway stuff. This last tank I probably didn't exceed 65mph the entire time. Calculated it...25.2mpg. Almost twice what I get in the NAS90. Damn!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I don't want to rub it in, but I've been daily driving the 110 recently...mostly around town / low-speed highway stuff. This last tank I probably didn't exceed 65mph the entire time. Calculated it...25.2mpg. Almost twice what I get in the NAS90. Damn!
That's right where it should be.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:03 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

I'm going to dig into the exhaust leak this weekend. Will report in a couple weeks how that may have changed things. Wish me luck.
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:14 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
I'm going to dig into the exhaust leak this weekend. Will report in a couple weeks how that may have changed things. Wish me luck.
What modifications are you planing?

Mine is running a turbo diesel exhaust (smaller bore than a tdi exhaust) completely standard until the rear box fell off. then I welded in a straight pipe as an "interim measure" while waiting for the new exhaust to arrive. The exhaust arrived swiftly and is hanging in the garage and has been for the past year.
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

I'll be replacing the exhaust/intake manifold gasket for starters. This will bring the boost back up to normal...which I actually haven't measured but the leak bleeding pressure off under load.

Anything else I should do while the manifolds are off?
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
I'll be replacing the exhaust/intake manifold gasket for starters. This will bring the boost back up to normal...which I actually haven't measured but the leak bleeding pressure off under load.

Anything else I should do while the manifolds are off?
Leaky manifold won't help at all.
Bigger bore pipework for the exhaust is reputed to make the turbo spin up faster.
Straight through exhaust too is reputed to help. I removed the large rear box on my 90, made it louder, tiring on a long journey, no improvement on economy that was measurable. Seem to remember that I turned up the fuel & boost at the same time though.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring View Post
I am also open to ideas!
Are you using your trip meter / odometer to calculate your mileage? Mine is off by ~17% and I have a stock drivetrain, tires, etc. So, if that is off it could be throwing your numbers. Check it with a GPS or something next time you go for a long drive.
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover

Leaky manifold won't help at all.
Bigger bore pipework for the exhaust is reputed to make the turbo spin up faster.
Straight through exhaust too is reputed to help. I removed the large rear box on my 90, made it louder, tiring on a long journey, no improvement on economy that was measurable. Seem to remember that I turned up the fuel & boost at the same time though.
All of that makes sense. Later phase will work on the noise. I pulled all the interior panels long ago.
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:28 AM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

D 90 3.9 gas

so if its expected that the 300 tdi should get 20+ mpg what should i hope for in my '95 D90 3.9 gasoline engine? sorry im new but VERY JELIOUS of your good gas mileage. i get 12 mpg in flat southern california
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I used to get 12mpg flat in southern California... one reason I went to the TDI. The other was two slipped sleeves on the 3.9 (to separate blocks!) which, after some choice expletives, I put into the recycle bin.
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:07 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank84 View Post
Are you using your trip meter / odometer to calculate your mileage? Mine is off by ~17% and I have a stock drivetrain, tires, etc. So, if that is off it could be throwing your numbers. Check it with a GPS or something next time you go for a long drive.
I checked my speedo against marker posts at the side of the motorway - 1 every 100m, go past 16 and you've done a mile, go past 16 in a minute and you're doing 60mph which is what the clock said in both cases so I'm pretty happy that my speedo is accurate.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

Update - Manifold Gasket Replaced

Quick update. This weekend I dug into the exhaust manifold leak. In the pictures you can see that the gasket between the front most intake/exhaust ports and the rear most intake/exhaust ports is clearly broken. The front lower exhaust manifold bolt was really loose (not broken), and the rear lower exhaust manifold bold was missing completely. So the whole turbo/manifold assembly was held on by the remaining five bolts. I pulled the old gasket, cleaned the mating surface and installed the the new gasket. Did a little test drive to a spot on the Shenandoah for tubing adventure (150 miles round trip) and checked fuel consumption.

Over all the power seemed to be up. I drove about 65MPH the whole way. I didn't have to down shift on any of the hills on the I-66, though the truck did lose speed like normal...just not as quickly. There was not much black smoke while climbing the hills. So everything seemed to be better. Checked the MPGs today...averaged out to be 17.7 MPG...still not what I want. Next step is a tank or two of BG244 to clean the injectors.

I'm only changing one thing at a time until I get to the root of the problem. I'm still open to ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6844_800x600.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	52297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6843_800x600.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	52298  

Name:	IMG_6845_800x600.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	52299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6848_800x600.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	52300  

Name:	IMG_6852_800x600.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	52301  
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

i get 26 miles on the gallon. I tow a lot to ( trailer plus raft). Where i live is mostly mountains, so i get it combined up hill and down hill. The 110 has a 2 inch lift and i drive with a medium load. 2 persons plus gear.
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

Update:

Pulled the rocker cover today to check valve clearances and found valve #5 to be WAY out of spec... 0.025" vs the specified 0.008". Reset that one and three others that were slightly out back to factory specs, changed the seals on the cover and buttoned it up and test drove it. I'm hoping changing the seals solves an annoying oil leak that appears to be coming from the valve cover

I immediately noticed that the valve chatter was way down (duh, right?), but also noticed the mysterious "puffing" sound at the intake was gone. The truck runs beautifully. Not sure if this will bump up the economy. Time will tell.

I'll run out this tank of fuel, and check the economy. If it's still in the crapper I'll pull the timing cover and making sure the timing is correct.

One change at a time makes this a slow process.

Collin
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:26 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Now that your running 4cyl instead of the 3 1/2 cyl it will probably improve mileage somewhat.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi