300 tdi - baad economy - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97XD View Post
Good input. I've definitely changed my driving style in the 110, but haven't perfected it. the additional gauges are on my short list of parts to order. how much boost is normal for a stock 300? What is the danger temp to avoid on the egt? I know I can look this up but forum recall is faster than searching from my phone.
Most people will agree that temps of 1400*F, pre-turbo, and your melting aluminum parts, head, pistons. I travel doing about 700-800*F @ 63mph, level ground. I have my EGT sensor mounted in the place where the EGR goes. Your sensor needs to have a probe 2 to 2-1/2" as you are trying for a reading in mid stream of the exhaust. The highest I will go is 1100*F, and then I back off until I'm 1000*F or below. I mounted my boost port on the rear of the intake plenum as mine had a hole that was drilled, tapped & plugged,....but you could just as easily rob some pressure off the small hose ("T" into it) that goes to the waste gate. Boost is factory set to max at 1 bar which is about 14.5psi. But if yours is used, someone could have adjusted it higher. I actually turned down my fuel screw down (on the IP) 1/8 turn because I live at high elevation (1 mile+) and if there's no air, your just wasting fuel (black smoke) and over heating internal components. My mileage does go up at low elevation (<2000' ) at least 2mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Collin, what gearing is in your tcase? I run 1.41 tcase, change my fuel filter every oil change, 235/85-16 tires, Tdi, a squirt of Optilube XPD in every tank, and only run Shell 45 cetane, BP 47 cetane, or B20 and I religiously get 22-23mpg. If your hearing is different it may affect your economy, but that is lower than I'd expect.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:39 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
22 to 25 mpg with a 200 tdi, 1.4 t case and 285/85/16 mud terrain... Even with a trailer with 2000pounds of wood. All depends on the heaviness of your right foot. If it can help you, when going up hill try lifting your foot off the gaz pedal until it makes you go slower and the reapply some throttle to keep it going. No need to push it more, it will only waste fuel and you won't go faster.. Well at least it worked for me. Are you running a 1.6 tcase? a year ago I had a 1.6 tcase and on highway I obtain as bad as 16mpg. But damn, that 1.6 gearing makes it pull like a train!
Cheers!
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That's what I was sort of wondering on his tcase...would explain quite a bit.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 9th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm happy to look @ it for you. As said above once you get above the rpm range the engine wants to spin economy drops quickly. Diesels require a different driving style in order to optimize mileage. I have a heavier 130 running 33's and pulling a loaded trailer am getting 20. Does your engine have an egr setup or a cat ? Both suck power and economy. 300 tdi's come with pump timing retarded from what is optimal and the egr/cat trucks are retarded even further

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 9th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
You should get nearly 500 miles to a tank full of diesel.
I always do, providing I comply with the following:

-Keep the truck in top shape

-Drive only in smooth surfaces with a 30% downward slope; and most important,

-Never engage any gear.

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:03 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Montenegr View Post
I always do, providing I comply with the following:

-Keep the truck in top shape

-Drive only in smooth surfaces with a 30% downward slope; and most important,

-Never engage any gear.

Do I sense scepticism?
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind
Collin, what gearing is in your tcase? I run 1.41 tcase, change my fuel filter every oil change, 235/85-16 tires, Tdi, a squirt of Optilube XPD in every tank, and only run Shell 45 cetane, BP 47 cetane, or B20 and I religiously get 22-23mpg. If your hearing is different it may affect your economy, but that is lower than I'd expect.
T-case is 1.4. Oil only has about 2000 miles on it. Fuel filter has the same.

------ Follow up post added May 9th, 2012 05:57 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover
22 to 25 mpg with a 200 tdi, 1.4 t case and 285/85/16 mud terrain... Even with a trailer with 2000pounds of wood. All depends on the heaviness of your right foot. If it can help you, when going up hill try lifting your foot off the gaz pedal until it makes you go slower and the reapply some throttle to keep it going. No need to push it more, it will only waste fuel and you won't go faster.. Well at least it worked for me. Are you running a 1.6 tcase? a year ago I had a 1.6 tcase and on highway I obtain as bad as 16mpg. But damn, that 1.6 gearing makes it pull like a train!
Cheers!
Will pull back on my right foot and see how it goes. T-case is 1.4, not a 1.6. It doesn't pull like a train.

------ Follow up post added May 9th, 2012 06:01 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi
I'm happy to look @ it for you. As said above once you get above the rpm range the engine wants to spin economy drops quickly. Diesels require a different driving style in order to optimize mileage. I have a heavier 130 running 33's and pulling a loaded trailer am getting 20. Does your engine have an egr setup or a cat ? Both suck power and economy. 300 tdi's come with pump timing retarded from what is optimal and the egr/cat trucks are retarded even further
Doug, I'll pop the hood tomorrow and check for the EGR vs. cat. what am I looking for specifically to be certain?

Will probably take you up on your offer to look at my setup. When is a good day?
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
PM me your cell and I'll call and walk you through it. If your down pipe off the turbo goes down and has a flex section then what looks like a muffler that a cat. Take a picture of your exhaust manifold just above the turbo and post it here. There should be an oval plate that is held on with two bolts. lf you have what looks like a valve there then thats an egr valve. Where did you get a tdi xd ? Is this Joels old truck ? If so you don't have a cat or egr.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I remember this truck from happy hour. Wasn't there some blowby? Maybe check the compression? Does it start easily?

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:16 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
I remember this truck from happy hour. Wasn't there some blowby? Maybe check the compression? Does it start easily?
Starts without a problem. Will have the parts to fix the broken exhaust stud soon.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Based on the start up and going out the driveway, I would say it is running way rich, but I am not a diesel guy.
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:12 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Based on the start up and going out the driveway, I would say it is running way rich, but I am not a diesel guy.
Diesels don't "run Rich" in the same way as a petrol as they always have all the air they need unless the air filter is blocked.
They always give a good belch of black smoke on start-up, blue white if you leave it ticking over cold. This clears very quickly with some proper load on the engine, all the fuel burns.

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 litres

US gallons are 83% the volume of imperial gallons

My average mileage converted to US gallons comes out at 24.98 mpg, so your milage is low
My discovery only gets 28mpg which equates to a touch over 23mpg in American gallons.

My old 90 had a split diaphram on the injection pump which upped the fuel when the boost cuts in. If I remember correctly the power and economy were terrible.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

I checked the exhaust....after the turbo it's a straight pipe directly to the muffler, then to the resonator, so I don't think it has a cat. In addition, the oval plate described by Doug looks like a blanking plate, so I don't think it has an EGR either.

This weekend coming back from camping I was taking it really easy on the skinny pedal...holding around 60mph on the flats, then backing off a little on the hills. Not sure if mileage improved cuz there was a little off road/trail exploration. Calculated MPG was 17.6 (176.5 miles, 9.98 gallons pumped back into the tank).

Also on the trip the left hand wind screen was spotted with engine oil, so I popped the hood and there was a film of oil from the front of the hood back to just above the washer tank. I couldn't see the source of oil however. The only thing thing that had any oil on it was the lower intercooler pipe that leads to the turbo, and a little on the left side of the alternator. Ideas? I can snaps some picks it that'll clear up my murky explanation.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is it possible your speedo is off? Have you checked it against gps/etc?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 14th, 2012, 07:07 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

62mph indicated...GPS says 55mph...so there is a difference. So, knowing that then I'm getting worse mileage than I suspected...I think...
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Just finished 3 days of off roading in the Cottonwood AZ with AZLRO with my D90 300tdi with the Zf auto-box and stock 1.22 TC....got 22.58 mpg.
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Your speedo is 13% out.
What speedo drive cog do you have?
There's one for 235/70R16 tyres and a different one for 7.50 R16 and235/85 R16 tyres which have a larger radius. Can't for the life of me remember which colour drive cog is which though.
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

Will have to pull the cable and check the cog.

Did a quick check today and noticed what seems to be an exhaust leak from the intake manifold (cool air vs hot). Probably a big part of the problem if I'm not getting good pressure out of the turbo.) Parts are on order.
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97XD View Post
Also on the trip the left hand wind screen was spotted with engine oil, so I popped the hood and there was a film of oil from the front of the hood back to just above the washer tank. I couldn't see the source of oil however. The only thing thing that had any oil on it was the lower intercooler pipe that leads to the turbo, and a little on the left side of the alternator. Ideas? I can snaps some picks it that'll clear up my murky explanation.
Are you sure that's motor oil?

If you're getting it on the windshield and the washer tank, that's a serious issue...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi