300 Tdi and gear ratios - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
300 Tdi and gear ratios

Previous owner said the truck, with the 300 Tdi, 33in tires, and stock 3.54 gearing was horrible to drive on the road and regeared to 4.11s. Now it drives pretty well, but I get the feeling that it would be happy with a little steeper gearing. Occasionally I notice when the converter locks up (cruising of course) that it gets tough to maintain speed (both MPH and RPM) on an uphill grade. Kicking it down into 2nd brings the RPMs into the danger zone, not good.

I realize that top speed will be limited (as if it wasnt already) and MPG will suffer some with the 4.75s, but my main concern is how they might affect performance in low range. I have 4.75s in my V8 truck and on road its great (till 75mph at 3000RPM) but in low range, trying to crawl something by the time you give it enough throttle the tires want to spin instead of crawl. I am hoping the torque curve of the diesel would mean that I dont have to use as much throttle, therefore less chance for spinning the wheels.

Any help would be appreciated guys, I thought I would ask here before just blindly doing the swap to make sure I wasnt forgetting something. Been a busy couple weeks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

4.11's +1.22 T case = 3.54+ 1.4 Transfer case

My 110 on 33's has the 1.4 T Case and 3.54 gears I'd like a little lower gearing but not as low as 4.7's.
4.56's would be nice.

The TD5ed Disco On 33's has 4.10's and a 1.22 box and it's a little low for cruising with that engine. It's really a function of Power..

I need to put a better turbo on the 300..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Speaking of which, did you hear from our common friend down south?
I can get all the hardware hey presto but I need the turbo.

The Cube is a D90 factory fitted with a 300Tdi, 1.4 box and still spinning (worn) 33" with the stock 3.54 R&Ps.

I want lower gearing but sometimes it feels like the 1st is still too low and I'd like an intermediate gear between 1st and 2nd, and sometimes I wish I had a sub-1st gear for real crawling (so not to slip cutch).

Dear Santa............................................. ...............................
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Tuning is the answer here. Lower gearing will cause problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Previous owner said the truck, with the 300 Tdi, 33in tires, and stock 3.54 gearing was horrible to drive on the road and regeared to 4.11s. Now it drives pretty well, but I get the feeling that it would be happy with a little steeper gearing. Occasionally I notice when the converter locks up (cruising of course) that it gets tough to maintain speed (both MPH and RPM) on an uphill grade. Kicking it down into 2nd brings the RPMs into the danger zone, not good.

I realize that top speed will be limited (as if it wasnt already) and MPG will suffer some with the 4.75s, but my main concern is how they might affect performance in low range. I have 4.75s in my V8 truck and on road its great (till 75mph at 3000RPM) but in low range, trying to crawl something by the time you give it enough throttle the tires want to spin instead of crawl. I am hoping the torque curve of the diesel would mean that I dont have to use as much throttle, therefore less chance for spinning the wheels.

Any help would be appreciated guys, I thought I would ask here before just blindly doing the swap to make sure I wasnt forgetting something. Been a busy couple weeks...

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah I know those two combos had to be close, my speedo is less than 5mph off. I agree 4.56 would be my ideal choice right now.
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
More POWER!!!

Seriously, shift down... Unless 1st is too high to start out or 5th is too high to use in the flats, you don't need lower.
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have the Auto...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi