300 Tdi & dieselgeek.com - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I replaced the head O ring on my pump last year, you only need to remove the electrical connection to the solenoid however it would be an ideal time to replace it.

I made a cone from an old pop bottle to roll the O ring over the 4 outlet fittings, buy 2 O rings in case your cack handed and snap it or nick it.

I would also use a viton seal rather than plain rubber.

have fun
Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2016, 09:36 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Gren,
Great idea re. the pop bottle--thanks much-I'll do that if I ever get this accursed thing apart. Already have two Viton o-rings on hand, so should be good to go if I screw anything up on attempt #1.

Got the blasted solenoid out tonight, and now torx screw 6 of 6 (all the others came out) is refusing to come out, and partially stripped itself (OK, it didn't strip itself, I partially stripped it) during the extraction attempt. So now it's night three of three with a PB Blaster soak for a stubborn part.

Tomorrow I'll attack it with needle nose vise grips. . . good times.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:15 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

All done! Had to use a drill and an extractor to get the last screw to come out. Job's not that hard at all if you don't have seized hardware. . .

I second Michael67's recommendations--
1) pull the lift pump--I tried to leave mine on, and that's actually what caused me to damage the torx head on that last bolt--I had the tool canted a bit to clear the lift pump. Duh. And then I took the lift pump off. Which, yes, takes about 4 seconds, especially with the fuel injection lines out of the way.

2) clean the outside of the pump. I didn't do this, since dieselgeek doesn't recommend it. But I suspect VW engines see a LOT less grit and dirt than many Land Rover engines, and I think it would've been a good idea to wash mine off as much as I could, especially at the body/head junction. As it was, once the pump was split, I had to use moist- q-tips to very carefully clean the lip that the o-ring would hit on its way to the groove. That lip was COVERED in grit.

I think the job worked--no leaks at idle; will take it for a test run today and see. . . thanks for the assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Mine just started leaking. I remembered this thread and took a while to find it. I just ordered the dieselgeek kit (still$9.00).

Thanks to those of you who did all the hard work ahead of me and shared it on this forum!
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, diesel, tdi