All done! Had to use a drill and an extractor to get the last screw to come out. Job's not that hard at all if you don't have seized hardware. . .
I second Michael67's recommendations--
1) pull the lift pump--I tried to leave mine on, and that's actually what caused me to damage the torx head on that last bolt--I had the tool canted a bit to clear the lift pump. Duh. And then I took the lift pump off. Which, yes, takes about 4 seconds, especially with the fuel injection lines out of the way.
2) clean the outside of the pump. I didn't do this, since dieselgeek doesn't recommend it. But I suspect VW engines see a LOT less grit and dirt than many Land Rover engines, and I think it would've been a good idea to wash mine off as much as I could, especially at the body/head junction. As it was, once the pump was split, I had to use moist- q-tips to very carefully clean the lip that the o-ring would hit on its way to the groove. That lip was COVERED in grit.
I think the job worked--no leaks at idle; will take it for a test run today and see. . . thanks for the assistance!