300 TDi AC kit install manual - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2010, 01:36 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Question 300 TDi AC kit install manual

Hi all!

My heater motor is seized up (won't even turn by hand), so I'm removing the heater box. The previous owner installed what looks to be 300 TDi Land Rover AC kit, which is blocking access to the two interior bolts that hold on the heater box. The AC unit looks somewhat like the one offered by Rover's North:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-1...ning-kits.aspx

However, mine has "Land Rover" emblems on it, and the controls are in the center rather than on the LH side. It does not look anything like the AC units shown in the Land Rover service manuals I've downloaded, which seem to be integrated rather than bolt-on.

I need to remove what looks to be the motor housing, but I really would rather avoid loosing my coolant. Does anyone have a manual for this AC unit? Or, barring that, anyone have any experience with a unit like this? Otherwise, it's trial and error, push and pull, and hopefully no

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

you need to discharge a/c system, disconnect a/c pipes block on bulkhead then you can take the unit out, 2 screws on each side and a long m6 in the midde and wire plug. But i'm not sure heater bolts are behind it, they may be behind under tray.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Thanks - I was able to loosen enough of the plastic covering to get my hand back in there without removing an A/C pipes. I just hope it goes back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

let me know how it goes, i have to remove my heater box also.
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:55 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Julien,

I spent a couple of the days over the holiday putting things back together. I used this page as a guide for removal and installation:

http://landytown.myfastforum.org/arc...t__t_1383.html

I ended up buying a new heater box assembly from RDS, and the fit of the new wasn't exactly the same as the fit as the old, with the new weather seals and all. I used one of the bolt holes plus a screwdriver to force alignment for the other bolts, and then used two pry bars and some safety wire to force alignment for the last bolt.

As I said above, loosening the AC plastic cover gives you enough room to work for removing the two nuts holding heater box in place, and barely gives you enough room for installation. During installation, I placed a magnet on the head of the bolt (exterior) in order to hold the lock washer in place (interior), then used the two-finger "balance and turn" method to start the nut. Fortunately, when I dropped the nut, it only fell to the floorboards, not to some unreachable location. Once the nut is started, it's easy enough to get a box end wrench on it.

When putting the AC plastic cover back together, be careful of the alignment of the heater vent duct. On mine, there's a short, two piece ductwork that extends the original heater duct location. This duct is between two AC vents on mine.

Everything else installed relatively smoothly, although if I pull things apart again, I'll replace the plastic air intake that feeds the blower motor. I don't think it can survive another removal/install.

When filling the coolant, I followed the Land Rover instructions to reduce air pockets. However, because I replaced my heater core, I had to heat the engine up enough to open the thermostat to get the air out. This being my first diesel, I was surprised at how long I had to let the engine run in order for the thermostat to open; idling doesn't do the trick, either. And of course when the air escapes, coolant also escapes.

Hope this helps - let me know if you want any more details.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

that's great, thank you. Diesel does take a while to heat up. I'm planning to take the heater box out and it's not coming back, i never use it. I'll use the available space for something else, may be an air compressor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, ac, kit, manual, tdi