300 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2012, 06:57 PM
flatbar
charles
1984 defender 127 crew

300 tdi

Looking for members that might have a reommendations for a good mechanic for a tune up on a 300 tdi in western MA. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbar
Looking for members that might have a reommendations for a good mechanic for a tune up on a 300 tdi in western MA. Thanks
I would recommend Cityside garage they actually have my truck now. 508-429-4336

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:00 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbar View Post
What - specifically - are you looking to tune up? Timing belt-ish, or like injectors/lift-pump things? The latter are easy DIY projects.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM
flatbar
charles
1984 defender 127 crew

I have had the 300 tdi set up since 2001 when RN was selling full kits- only about 20K on the engine- lately if feel that it losing power on steep hills where before it did fine. I have only changed the fluids and filters since my ownership not sure if it just needs a knowledgeable tune up and it will be back up to snuff. thanks charles
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:39 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Adjusting the tappets makes a lot of difference.... both smoothness and quietness!
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:10 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Adjusting the tappets makes a lot of difference.... both smoothness and quietness!
x2...and it's super easy to do by yourself. I leaned a big mirror against the hood prop stick and used a socket/breaker bar to move the main crankshaft to get each tappet into position for adjustment. I know they say adjust them every 10-12k, but I think every 6-8k can't hurt and it's easy enough...I'm thinking about doing mine again as they're coming due.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 9th, 2012, 10:31 AM
flatbar
charles
1984 defender 127 crew

Thanks!! I will search the D-90 site for info on the adjusting the tappets and the booklet that came with the engine, may have some info as well if I can find it. Thanks again
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbar View Post
Thanks!! I will search the D-90 site for info on the adjusting the tappets and the booklet that came with the engine, may have some info as well if I can find it. Thanks again
Here's the sheet I used to do mine (just make sure you have them in the right order...I think I did it backwards initially so had to re-gap everything):
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...4&d=1221673854

And here's a good resource for step-by-step with photos that I read through before I did mine:
http://www.landroverexpedition.com/t...ve-clearances/
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So I decided to check mine today, had been about 6500 miles since I last did the valve clearance adjustment / valve lashing. All clearances were fine and holding at 0.2mm...no adjustments needed on any of the valves. So maybe the 10-12k adjustment is probably more than sufficient.

On a side note, it can be tough to check/adjust the clearances solo. What I do (as alluded to in my prior post) is setup a mirror propped against the hood stick (as shown below) and put a 30mm socket and big-ass ratchet on the camshaft bolt (also as shown below) and turn it until the correct valve is in the correct position for adjustment (No.1 tappet with No.8 valve fully open, No.3 tappet with No.6 valve fully open, No.5 tappet with No.4 valve fully open, No.2 tappet with No.7 valve fully open, No.8 tappet with No.1 valve fully open, No.6 tappet with No.3 valve fully open, No.4 tappet with No.5 valve fully open, No.7 tappet with No.2 valve fully open).

Figured since I was doing it I'd take these pictures to see if it better explained (since if you, like I, have a wife that is probably not patient enough to stand looking at the valves as I turn the crankshaft by hand to let me know when each is in position...so this is an easy way to do it solo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2098.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	57350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	57351  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:00 AM
flatbar
charles
1984 defender 127 crew

Thanks again, Must of married your wife's sister- I am going to give it a try on Thursday night- no soccer or other distractions- charles
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
I would recommend Cityside garage they actually have my truck now. 508-429-4336

Eric
X2 on this.
Holliston, MA is only 5 minutes from the Junction of Mass Pike and 495.
Alan Elliot knows Defenders and is more than fair with his time.

He tuned my 300Tdi earlier this spring after I was noticing some heavy puffs of smoke under hard acceleration. I though I'd be in for a new lump. He quickly discovered a clogged PCV which led to filling the IC with blowby oil. Cleaned out the entire intake system and PCV and we were off and running. He also repaired a small dent in the oil pan and when it was off noticed a dislodged oil spray cooler on the piston skirt. Small item that could have been catastrophic. Good eye that saved me big time.

............Of course if you want to spend $2,000+++ on a tune up, just make a run up I-95 north about 4 more hours and see God himself and he will "tune you up" alright
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
X2 on this.
Holliston, MA is only 5 minutes from the Junction of Mass Pike and 495.
Alan Elliot knows Defenders and is more than fair with his time.

He tuned my 300Tdi earlier this spring after I was noticing some heavy puffs of smoke under hard acceleration. I though I'd be in for a new lump. He quickly discovered a clogged PCV which led to filling the IC with blowby oil. Cleaned out the entire intake system and PCV and we were off and running. He also repaired a small dent in the oil pan and when it was off noticed a dislodged oil spray cooler on the piston skirt. Small item that could have been catastrophic. Good eye that saved me big time.

............Of course if you want to spend $2,000+++ on a tune up, just make a run up I-95 north about 4 more hours and see God himself and he will "tune you up" alright
PCV...by this do you mean the cyclone breather on the side of the valve cover?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wow, I just adjusted my tappets and it made a huge difference. I got rid of a pretty loud tappet rattle and smoothed out the motor. It seems to drive a bit better to.

Semper Fi!
Old September 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
When I do my valve adjustment, I take the fan off and turn the breaker from above. No mirror required. Also, the trailfitter videos on youtube are really good at visualizing what needs to be done (rule of 9).
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:02 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Some says you can adjust 4 valves at a time, 2 sets of adjustment and you're done...
Old September 17th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

If you end up wanting to bring it somewhere, you might want to check out JE Robison Service, especially as you are in the Pioneer Valley. They are only 20 minutes (if that) down 91 from you.
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:35 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

If you can find me I might do it.....but I also recommend people to Alan (cityside) as one of the few places I'd trust, all the time.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi