300 Tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

300 Tdi

Do you ever see a D 90 with a TDI conversion for sale? What does it cost to get one converted? Seems like a great way to get rid of reliability issues. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselVol
Do you ever see a D 90 with a TDI conversion for sale?
Yes but only rarely as those that convert generally intend to keep them forever as the price premium they do get doesn't cover the cost of conversion.

Quote:
What does it cost to get one converted?
There are at least two on this board that do these conversions fairly regularly and can give you a quote if you're looking for one, but think in the area of 10k

Quote:
Seems like a great way to get rid of reliability issues. Thanks.
That's the theory but - YMMV
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Roverhybrids converted my 1994 D90 to a 300 TDi and did an excellent job. Meticulous detail and well thought out design. Find a high mileage D90 and call Shane at 530.221.2541. He might even have a used 300 TDi motor available in the near future. It is not cheap to do and you'll have to live with the noise of a diesel, but they are very enjoyable to drive and you'll like the mileage. Financially, these conversions make no sense unless you are going to hold them for a long time or you have more money than brains.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Right now, I'm glad I put the 4.6 in the 110 doublecab. I put a 300tdi in my D90 project and I'm still getting used to it. Eventually, I may go the 300tdi route in the doublecab also, but it's not on my to-do list at the moment.

Follow-up Post:

Oops - I meant the above to be under the double cab tread My bad.
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:06 PM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

Been driving a 6.0 litre F-250 for 5 years and 110k miles, so the diesel and the noise aren't going to mess me up. I am concerned about performance though. My 6.0 is no rocket, but you'd never know it wasn't a gas V8 unless you really get on it. Do these hold up fairly well in traffic?
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Roverhybrids fitted a larger exhaust (1 1/2"), increased the fuel pump pressure, raised the wastegate blowoff point and port matched the heads so I don't notice much difference vs. the V8 except on hills. Then I have to watch my EGT and sometimes back off the throttle along with downshifting. Also, I am running 33" tires with 4:10 gears. They 60 - 70 mph acceleration really surprises me. Feels stronger than the V8

Clark
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

Now how to find a D 90 with a bad engine or at least with enough wrong with it to knock the cost down enough to make the numbers make some sense? All the ones I see for sale have had major work and major price tags. Can't see putting a nearly new engine on the shop floor.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:54 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
There are at least two on this board that do these conversions fairly regularly and can give you a quote if you're looking for one, but think in the area of 10k
I'm not sure why this figure gets thrown out there so often, but to the best of my knowledge it's far from the mark, (no offense intended Brad)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
I'm not sure why this figure gets thrown out there so often, but to the best of my knowledge it's far from the mark, (no offense intended Brad)
I think its probably because its about the largest figure that first-timers want to spend, so they talk themselves into in and work up from there. Thats how my estimation process went.

January: "I can do this myself for 8-10k"
April: "hmm, maybe this will be more like 12"
August, wife: "this looks like its already over 14"
November: "perhaps I can finish for under 25"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

Just for the diesel conversion?! Surely you talking about doing lots more than just engine and tranny. If not, it may be time to bail on this idea before I follow the list from above.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Just for the diesel conversion?! Surely you talking about doing lots more than just engine and tranny. If not, it may be time to bail on this idea before I follow the list from above.
I did mine for 5k, sold the old engine for 2k and installed it myself. It's just about what is available at the time.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
my money bought a new chassis and a lot of other stuff. it is a matter of timing, but dont count on repeating buck's experience.

Old February 18th, 2008, 11:12 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
No offense taken... all I can say is that I have reciepts from the conversion on mine that total over 9k
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I have the impression that you can buy a new diesel from Britain for $11-$12k including suspension upgrades and little things (plus shipping, I think)... but labor for conversion isn't cheap.

I think you're looking $20k+ for a hired conversion withs materials and labor.
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

Is a 300 TDI really the engine I want? I've seen International 2.8 discussed as well. Any others? Is cost going to be in the same ballpark no matter the engine choice?
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Is a 300 TDI really the engine I want? I've seen International 2.8 discussed as well. Any others? Is cost going to be in the same ballpark no matter the engine choice?
What do you want to do with your truck?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

That's a great question. My love of the diesel is the rattle, the smell, the indestructability (if you put oil in it) and reliability. I also want this thing to be problem free. Some mild offroading, no mountain climbing, and if I want to pull something heavy, the F-250 will be a lot better. It does need to have good response, to allow for merging. It will mostly be driven to work and back.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
4.6 V8
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
No offense taken... all I can say is that I have reciepts from the conversion on mine that total over 9k

Almost eight years ago with the exchange rate at 1.45 to 1. That figure could very easily double today.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Retail for a new ROW Tdi 300 + tranny + rad / IC + all the little bits and exhaust as per factory all genuine parts = about 16K

if you can even find one.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi