300 Td1 egt rises faster than the tach - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

300 Td1 egt rises faster than the tach

I just am noticing lately, that when I floor it through the first 4 gears (R380) the exhaust gas temperature runs up to 800-900 degrees but when I shift into 3rd and continue to floor it it quickly jumps through the yellow and into the red (1,200 degrees) if I don't back off. Same in 4th. I was running the motor up to 4,000 rpm before I shifted from first or second, but in third at about 3,000 plus rpm the EGT gauge was rocketing into and through the yellow range.
Does this sound right?
Engine temp is fine.
This is a 1994 NAS D90 with a 300 TDi motor with supposedly 40,000 miles on it. The Injection Pump has been reworked for higher pressure, the turbo wastegate pops off at 16 lbs. I'm running a 2 1/2 exhaust - if these make a difference.

Thanks for any ideas,

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thats not unusual. I recently hit 1300 degrees simply by flooring it and downlugging the engine (in 5th too early). The motor responds to how you drive it. If you keep the rpms up, it will run cooler. Also, there seems to be that least 1/2 of pedal that changes the sound of the motor when you get on it. If that makes any sense. That will make the egt's go up very quickly. IMO, its worth dealing with for the extra power.

PS: Don't run anything in front of your radiator/intercooler. By removing my fog lights, it made a noticable difference.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Sounds good Buck. I hardly ever use those offroad lights anyway.

Clark

Follow-up Post:

Moved the offroad lights to the sides of the winch. Looks much better (less like a frog) and out of the airflow. Now if I can find someone to trade a Warn winch with a separate solenoid for my XD900 I'll have a completely clear airflow.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do you have a gas muffler in the system?
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Ron......
Re: gas muffler?
I'm not sure. I did have a small MagnaFlow muffler installed to bring down the crackle of the exhaust a bit. It must have been a gas muffler.
Are you thinking it has clogged up?

Clark
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I removed the lights on the bumper and that helped a bit in the heat of the summer as well....

As for the muffler, I would get rid if it. NRP has a rear tail section that I have used that is SS and has 2 flow through resonators only... no muffler and 0 back pressure.. If its not a flow through design, it will clog with soot and you will eventually melt the motor.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I run a 3in straight pipe with one bend. My egt's still heat up like described. I noticed more power and quicker "recovery" with the new pipe. But, no egt change as far as upper temperature and quickness of heat buildup. Sounds badass though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Ron......
Re: gas muffler?
I'm not sure. I did have a small MagnaFlow muffler installed to bring down the crackle of the exhaust a bit. It must have been a gas muffler.
Are you thinking it has clogged up?

Clark
I run one of those straight through magnaflows as well, I don't think you have anything to worry about with it. It's a straight pipe with some packing around it.
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

I think Buck is right. Unless I want to dial down the IP I'll have to live with a rapidly rising exhaust gas temperature if I stomp on it. It is a diesel after all.
I did check and there is no back pressure in the MagnaFlow muffler like Kevin said.
However, when they were checking the backpressure at the muffler shop they mentioned that it fluctuated at idle like I had a vacuum leak. But he also said a diesel doesn't pull much vacuum. Any idea, anyone, what would cause that?

Clark
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:25 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think you should turn the pump down some unless you are going to upgrade the intercooler. I tweaked my IP and had similar temp readings, I backed it back down a little and the performance didnt drop any but the EGTs did. Then I scrapped the magnaflow and the EGTs stayed a little cooler and when they do climb, they cool more quickly.
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
I think you should turn the pump down some unless you are going to upgrade the intercooler. I tweaked my IP and had similar temp readings, I backed it back down a little and the performance didnt drop any but the EGTs did. Then I scrapped the magnaflow and the EGTs stayed a little cooler and when they do climb, they cool more quickly.
I have an uprated intercooler. It didn't really seem to help. The no muffler exaust did cool more quickly, but the top temperature still stayed up there.

I think the bottom line is that it will behave like this. Keep and eye on it and drive accordingly. If you keep the temperature at 12 or under, the engine doesn't mind. You can hit 1300 for brief periods. I know that for sure.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Buck in your case there is always the strong possibility that your pump is adjusted so much towards the extreme that an intercooler the width of the entire front end would not have a dramatic effect.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Propane injection?

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Buck in your case there is always the strong possibility that your pump is adjusted so much towards the extreme that an intercooler the width of the entire front end would not have a dramatic effect.
Pendy did my adjustment. It is not rediculous.

The advantages of the intercooler are vastly overstated. They do good, don't take it the wrong way, they are just not what people make them out to be. I simply don't think there is a way to avoid heat when you up the pump. But if you can keep it around 1100, your good to go.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Propane injection?
Yeah, I guess. But your going to be into it for at least $2000 with a DOT tank and non-retarded system. I couldn't justify it, and I tried.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac