3 oil spots under center differential {...} - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916
3 oil spots under center differential {...}

I will notice 3 little drops of oil in a straight line from door to door {...} right under my center differential. the drops are not big (quarter size) and do not seem to be dripping a lot. I have yet to see it drip but i see it on my driveway. the drips have to be coming from the differential i figure. is there a seal i can replace on this? do you guys think this might be the problem?

#11 http://catalog.roversnorth.com/catal..._37/page36.htm

also, since im sick of having the garage rape me of my money, how do i change the differential oil myself? is it the same deal as changing normal motor oil? where is the spout to pour the oil in?

Thanks all!

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:26 PM
1994 NAS Defender 90
There are a bunch of seals you can replace. I wouldnt worry about a few drips. Just check the level when you change your oil.

yes you can change the tranfer fluid yourself an easy job. the bottom of the transfer case has a drain plug.

I think 80/90 weight is recommended??

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
1995 SW #487/500
just check the level of fluid in the t-case every time you change your oil
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM
'95 D90 SW#106
There is no spout for the diffs. Just a fill plug (near vertical) and a drain plug, on the diffs themselves. Diff oil is a pain to replace if you do not use some kind of pump type of container with a hose. I used to use a cylinder type of heavy oil hand pump (much like a greaser) but that was a pain to keep re-filling.
Last time I tried a large garden type plastic container with hand pump in the lid, (the generic kind that is also used for pesticides/ same type as the power bleeder) that you can purchase at any hardware store. I pulled the insecticide sprayer nose off the hose part, but kept the trigger on the hose. I filled the container, pumped it up, and presto, the 80/90W oil pumped into the diff. Didn't even have to stay under the Rover. It was a little slow in filling, but worked like a charm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions