3-link Vibration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

Angry 3-link Vibration

97 D-90 Station Wagon 3-link, 3 Inch Rovertym Springs, Heavy Duty Steering Rods, Sg Front
External Shock Mounts, Rockware Rear Hoop Mounts, Sg Rear Heavy Duty Drive Shaft, Rovertym A-arm Extension, Rovertym Heim Jointed Pan Hard Bar, Gbr Front Heavy Duty Drive Shaft, 35 Inch Ssr, 12 Bilstien 7100 Remote Reservoir Front And Rear. Pinion Angle Between Two Bolts At Rockguard Zeroed Out With Driveshaft. Still Has Vibration. Am I Measuring It Wrong. Steering Wheel Vibration At 55-60 Mph. Wheel Balance Issue Or What. Tired Of Adjusting Pinion Angle With No Results. Please Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

If your steering wheel is shaking then it is likely:
tire balance.
swivel pin preload
tie rods
alignment
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

Wink Thankyou For The Input

Tomorrow I Am Going To Buy Some Tire Beads, Innovative Balancing At A Local Tire Shop. If That Does Not Do It I Will Check Into Tie Rods And Swivel Pin Preload. I Work At A Land Rover Dealership In Glenwood Springs, Colorado. So I Have Tools And Parts Readily Available. Thanks Again To Help Me Narrow Down The Problem. John Land Rover Parts Pro And Technician.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I had similar problems and it was always tire balance. Drop/knock a weight of a wheel and it would start. I try to keep the wheels requiring the least amount of balance weight on the front and the worst as a spare.
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I'm in Basalt and am willing to help in any way possible.

Capitalizing Every Word Must Get Laborious
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

Red face Whats up Andrew!

Hey there Andrew, hows it going man. Glad to see that there is someone in the area who might know a thing or two. Call me sometime down at the dealership. or e-mail me. W- 970-945-4600, C-303-801-7154, E- jp52500@gmail.com . Would like to get a beer or somethin sometime. THANKS. JOHN
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

panhard rod...it may be new but make sure it is tight, and that the bolts themselves are fresh.

or, all the other stuff mentioned above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:19 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

You may be aware that I am dealing with a minor vibration as well. But mine is not in hte steering wheel. Anyway, I narrowed it down to the rear of the vehicle by pulling the driveshaft on each end and driving it that way to see if it made a difference. When I pulled the rear DS the vibs went away. I'm going with a DC driveshaft next to see if things improve. I suspect yours is in the front since the steering wheel shakes.
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:04 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

x2 on the panhard rod. Had a bad vibration at around 55mph. Bad bushings caused a vibration that loosened the bolts and caused worse vibrations.
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:51 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

put in dyna beads today at work today balance is good, still have a vibration 55-60, kinda comes and goes. I'm gonna put in some new pan hard bolts on monday, or at least see if they are loose. will check my swivel preload next if the panhard is ok.
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

Update

on my way to work today i could tell my wheel balance is perfect. my vibration seems like the driveline. the vibration comes and goes at around 55-60 mph. maybe a u-joint. Don't know but the gbr driveshaft is brand new. I have my old sg driveshaft that took a shit on me that i am going to send out to be rebuilt and balanced today. Gonna put in some new panhard bolts today as well. If anyone has felt this type of vibe please chime in and let me know. Thanx
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Is your upgraded driveshaft a single or double CV? You don't run zero pinion angle on a single, it should match the angle on the driveshaft which is what I think you are stating in your first post.

I bought a 90 from a guy who had recently put on a 3 link and apparently forgotten to tighten the tie rod end clamp on the side he removed. Created a vibration at the wheel, but much more randomly than you experience.

I agree, take your front driveshaft off, put it in diff lock and cruise down I70 and see if you get the vibration.

What ate the front SG driveshaft?
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

Driveshaft Angle

My gbr driveshaft is a double cardon, and the pinion angle is the same angle as the driveshaft. Not really zero degrees at the pinion. My old sg driveshaft gave me vibrations from day one. The rear i have never had a problem with. I have driven my truck with the front shaft out w/ diff lock and no vibes. I had the sg driveshaft balanced twice no luck. Called greg a while back and had no luck dealing with him. He told me the guy who makes their shafts has been doing it for over twenty years. Finally about two months ago the centering joint took a dump and it felt like it was going to come flying through the floor board. Hence the new shaft from gbr. 100%, better but it still seems to have a funny vibe in their somewhere. But know where near what their was with the sg one. Still searching for the answer!
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

check the nut on the front output of your xfer case for correct torque or unusual play. Same for front diff pinion nut.

Good luck.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

Pinion Flange/ Output Flange Run Out

When i pulled out my drivshaft recently i noticed the t case output flange was loose. tightened it back up an seemed better. My dumbass forgot to check the pinion flange while i was there. maybe i will check to see that it did not loosen up as well. definately a possibility. thanks for the input.
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

When I Put On My New Gbr Driveshaft I Left On The Old Sg Adaptor Because I Was In A Hurry After Work. I Wonder If That Is Where My Vibration Is Coming From. I Know On The One From Gbr That There Are Marks Where The Two Line Up. Hopefully Tonight After Work I Can Get On A Lift And Put In The New One So It Is Aligned Where They Had Balanced It Properly. Keeping My Fingers Crossed.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
You may be aware that I am dealing with a minor vibration as well. But mine is not in hte steering wheel. Anyway, I narrowed it down to the rear of the vehicle by pulling the driveshaft on each end and driving it that way to see if it made a difference. When I pulled the rear DS the vibs went away. I'm going with a DC driveshaft next to see if things improve. I suspect yours is in the front since the steering wheel shakes.
Mike - I have DC driveshafts on my truck but that didn't help the driveline vibes. I isolated mine to the rear just as you did. I then played around with a lot of different pinion angles since I have the Rovertym adjustable trailing arms. I was able to completely eliminate the vibes with the right pinion angle.

Follow-up Post:

John - I believe you said you removed the front driveshaft, and the vibes go away. So it would seem that something is causing it to rotate off-axis (assuming the DS is correctly balanced). Have you checked the transfer case front output shaft for radial play? They normally have some play but maybe yours is excessive? Or could the SG adapter be machined such that it's positioning the driveshaft flange off-center?
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Ryan, thanks for the reply. Funny but I just finished changing out my rear DS to a GBR DC version. As you mentioned, it didn't help. The vibs are still there. I notice it in my shifter button, the button on the side of the shifter that you depress to change gears. It rattles at certain speeds. I guess I should be happy that this is all the vibs I get. My next move is to get some trailing arms. Probably the Rovertym ones.

But I have a question as well. I seem to be loosing gear fluid from my 3rd member. It seems to be leaking from the flange seals. I guess I need to address this soon. Anyone ever had this happen? The flange feels really tight and secure however. It seemed to start when the u-joint went out. Not sure which came first the 3rd member leak or the u-joint demise.

This is going to be an expensive little problem, I'm affraid.
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:10 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
John, I emailed you back

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
3-link