3-link question... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2004, 08:19 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
3-link question...

I did some searching here and on Pirate, but came up short. Has anyone designed or come up with a sway bar setup for their 3 link? I know it's counter intuitive, but even with new HD springs, my rig leans like mad and I 'd like to find something to help me out on the highway. Any ideas or experience are welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Dave,

What are u running for springs and shocks? I'm interested in the new Koni HeavyTracks from Scorpion, thinking a set of them will get my bus settled down a bit through the turns! Supposedly they are stiffer than OME even on the lightest setting. Really want to get my girl leveled out, but trying to avoid things like sway bars...
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:17 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dave, keith has a great idea to run a sway bar up front and you can use disconnects with it. I'm not sure if he ever built one but sounded like a great idea.

Another choice is Anti-Rock but it's $$$$ I think Curri wants $400 for the universal kit. It will help with body roll and you don't have to mess with it when off roading.
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2004, 10:54 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Doug, I'm running 762's up front due to the weight of my engine. 751's in the rear because I seem to like to carry the kitchen sink with me on a daily basis.
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:13 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Switch the springs if you are leaning. Sounds like they are on the wrong sides.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Kinda hijacked this thread, sorry -- should go back to sway bars that work with Dave's 3-link.
Old June 27th, 2004, 06:45 PM
redrover

Hi David, I have been thinking about a solution for over a yr now. I would hate to make a emergency highway move with my 3link/764 springs. I have thought seriously about welding a tube to the frame where the SG bumper mounts to frame. This would allow me to install a modified sway system designed for TJ,s. I found a sway system built by Teraflex. I think they call it the S/T swaybar. It is really trick in that it looks similar to curries antirock, But has a release that gives you 100 percent articulation. The challenge is to copy the frame mount on a TJ and find a good place to weld it on the rover axle. Then with a twist of the mechanism you can release or engage. Some one buid it. JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan21.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	931  
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:39 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sorry Chris, by "lean", I meant sways...
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:29 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yousef, when is the next opportunity your going over to Rovertracks? Keith says he needs your truck to make it happen...
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL, I was chatting with Yousef yesterday and mentioned Keith had stopped over his place to take some measurements on his 90.
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Ntajeep
Matthew Bremner
1997 AA Yellow D90

I also talked to Keith about it, if I was closer I would have gone and already had it done. The 3-link just loosened my front up completely. Hopefully someone can get something made that will work.
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
Hi David, I have been thinking about a solution for over a yr now. I would hate to make a emergency highway move with my 3link/764 springs. I have thought seriously about welding a tube to the frame where the SG bumper mounts to frame. This would allow me to install a modified sway system designed for TJ,s. I found a sway system built by Teraflex. I think they call it the S/T swaybar. It is really trick in that it looks similar to curries antirock, But has a release that gives you 100 percent articulation. The challenge is to copy the frame mount on a TJ and find a good place to weld it on the rover axle. Then with a twist of the mechanism you can release or engage. Some one buid it. JP
I've heard about that system but didn't hear anything about how it performs? Do you know what's the price on it? I know Keith can build an Anti-rock for half what currie sells their anti-rock.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Yousef, when is the next opportunity your going over to Rovertracks? Keith says he needs your truck to make it happen...
Damn I wish he told me that yesterday when he was over at my house. He had a trailer with him and he could've taken my 90 with him. I'll talk to him today!

Mike, the measurements he took weren't for the sway bars. It was for something else.
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:47 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Was that for my "something Else" Yousef?
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Mike, the measurements he took weren't for the sway bars. It was for something else.
I know, I just thought it was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
I've heard about that system but didn't hear anything about how it performs? Do you know what's the price on it? I know Keith can build an Anti-rock for half what currie sells their anti-rock..
Waht is Aniti rock? is it that hydrolic system that forces swaybars to keep the vehicle level?
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Mike, are you referring to ACE on the DII's? Had it, and aside from the extra noise, pumps, lines, etc. Loved it.
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:01 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
you had ace on your DII or your 90
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Randy, yes it's for your something else :p

Mike, It's a torsion bar sway bar. It will allow your truck to flex and minimize the body roll at the same time. It's used alot in Comp. buggy and Jeepers.

Oh man I love ACE. I drove the Disco like a sports car and took corners with it like no other. On the trial I had the flexiest truck of all the modified DII's. Great system, but it takes some engine power away though
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Dii.
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
you had ace on your DII or your 90
DII I think he said. For the right amount of $$ I'm sure you can add ACE to a D90
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:26 PM
redrover

My understanding on the anti rock is that it is a blend of off /on road performance. I thought it still limited the full capable articulation. The antirock has no disconnect . It is and looks similar to the S/T system. I found out that S/T stands for street/trail. The S/T installs almost exactly the same as the antirock. But the S/T has a push button disconnect. And thus allows the full capable articulation of your suspension . I wish my external shock mounts were behind the springs. Right now it would be difficult to weld a bracket to axle to connect to the S/T links.
Yousef what is Keiths idea?
Has anyone mounted their shocks to rear of springs?
rock on JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
3-link