3 bolt to 4 bolt flange conversion, or new prop shaft? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 10th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB - Alpine White

Registry
3 bolt to 4 bolt flange conversion, or new prop shaft?

Got a rebuilt final drive/pinion carrier/center section, whatever lingo you want to use. It is wearing a brand new 4 bolt flange. The current set up is wearing a donut and 3 bolt flange with the locator stud.

So - get a new seal and swap flanges? Or just upgrade the rear prop shaft to double UJ and leave the new 4 bolt flange on the new center section?

2" lift on the truck. Never had problems with lift generating an issues on the donut setup.

Thoughts?

'95 RRC CountyLWB - dripping all over central TX
'83 110 HCPU - in piceces, all over central TX
'90 RRC Truggy - loud and proud
'95 RRC CountyLWB Beluga Black - SOLD
'01 P38 - POS Leaked Electricity - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2016, 08:40 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagey71 View Post
Got a rebuilt final drive/pinion carrier/center section, whatever lingo you want to use. It is wearing a brand new 4 bolt flange. The current set up is wearing a donut and 3 bolt flange with the locator stud.

So - get a new seal and swap flanges? Or just upgrade the rear prop shaft to double UJ and leave the new 4 bolt flange on the new center section?

2" lift on the truck. Never had problems with lift generating an issues on the donut setup.

Thoughts?
Your current set up is a flex joint, your future set up is a u joint.
Unless you know how to work on a differential or having a shop do the flange swap, don't attempt it your self. It is more complicated than just bolting on a different flange.
If the gear ratio of the new unit is the same as the old unit then the whole differential swap is highly recommended for a do it yourself, specially if the new unit is trusted to be in good working order.
2 to 3 1/2inch lift is very standard on rovers with the higher number bordering on driveability issues.
2 inch does not seem much on paper but in actuality it makes a huge safe change in all aspects, handling, drive feel, longevity of components, off road clearance, stance etc.
Rovers do excellent in Stock conditions when off road due to the articulation geometry of their suspension, 2 Inches allows to retain such prowess above that and they get too stiff and you tend to loose this advantage if not heavily loaded.
Ask around and good luck
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
Your current set up is a flex joint, your future set up is a u joint.
Unless you know how to work on a differential or having a shop do the flange swap, don't attempt it your self. It is more complicated than just bolting on a different flange.
If the gear ratio of the new unit is the same as the old unit then the whole differential swap is highly recommended for a do it yourself, specially if the new unit is trusted to be in good working order.
2 to 3 1/2inch lift is very standard on rovers with the higher number bordering on driveability issues.
2 inch does not seem much on paper but in actuality it makes a huge safe change in all aspects, handling, drive feel, longevity of components, off road clearance, stance etc.
Rovers do excellent in Stock conditions when off road due to the articulation geometry of their suspension, 2 Inches allows to retain such prowess above that and they get too stiff and you tend to loose this advantage if not heavily loaded.
Ask around and good luck
Right on all fronts. I know I need to thread in a puller and remove the spigot, then I'll have access to the nut on the pinion. I can't imagine it's that difficult to pull out the spigot and then back out that pinion nut. So long as I torque the thing back to spec, the preload should be correct withthe new 4 bolt flange and seal. Even though the seal is brand new, I'll cut it out and press in a new one. If i do this, it's a $10 seal, and not $200 for a prop shaft. I've put 40k miles on the truck, it has 220k total and never blown a rotoflex.

Is there anything I need to worry about pulling the spigot or retorquing the pinion nut?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey

Registry
Okay new plan - Seeking long wheel base drive shaft w/out RotoFlex.

Anyone have a double U-jointed RRC LWB Prop shaft?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion