3.9L V8 viscous fan clutch removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Angry 3.9L V8 viscous fan clutch removal

I'm obviously an idiot. I've been wrestling with this for 2 days now, and I know it's reverse thread to remove - it won't budge. This is for a '94 NAS 3.9L V8.

Being reverse thread, everything I've read states to go towards the driverside to remove. Is that right? A lot of what you read states counter-clockwise (but that's them referring - I believe - to if you're facing the front of the truck like you're in the driverseat), which in this example would be towards the driverside of the truck as I'm hunched over the front of the vehicle.

However, others have said that when they did it (recently) on the D1 (same fan setup essentially) they thought it was actually to the passenger side to remove. Didn't seem to jive with what I've read but tried it anyhow - with no luck. The only thing I've succeeded in is bashing up the nut real good.

I've got the pulleys stuffed with rags where they meet the belt to keep them from turning, also put a pair of vice-grips on one of the pulleys to likewise keep the entire thing from moving, AND used a strap wrench. NO DICE. And yes, I've got the official fan clutch wrench and have switched between that and a heavy-duty crescent wrench that I can sneak in there and hit with a 5lb mallet. I've used PB blaster, heat, and brute force...and many 4-letter words. Nothing.

So let's start with the basics...towards the driverside is the right way to remove, correct?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:36 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I'm obviously an idiot.
Too easy... I won't even comment on this one.

I'll be there shorlty... I just did the DI and DII...
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
Too easy... I won't even comment on this one.

I'll be there shorlty... I just did the DI and DII...

while you are there have Jason show you what good wine looks like

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Ouch! HAHAHAHAHA

It is supposed to be reverse - from what I remember you can cheat by turning the car on and seeing which way the fan turns, and (of course turn the truck off) then use the wrench to loosen in the opposite direction than it was just spinning. When tightening, don't make it too tight, as it'll continue to tighten as the fan runs.
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
And yes, I've got the official fan clutch wrench and have switched between that and a heavy-duty crescent wrench that I can sneak in there and hit with a 5lb mallet. I've used PB blaster, heat, and brute force...and many 4-letter words. Nothing.
Usually I jump on the front of the truck, hold one wrench with both hands and push the other with my foot. Works real nice.
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter

hahaha

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Ouch! HAHAHAHAHA

It is supposed to be reverse - from what I remember you can cheat by turning the car on and seeing which way the fan turns, and (of course turn the truck off) then use the wrench to loosen in the opposite direction than it was just spinning. When tightening, don't make it too tight, as it'll continue to tighten as the fan runs.
So fan appears to be spinning towards the driverside...which means I need to turn nut towards the psgr side. Which has served to confuse me even further as that seems like it would now be regular thread?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Use a super long flathead screwdriver to prevent the fan from turning (wedge it w/the bolts that hold it to the clutch) take the fan clutch removal wrench and a rubber mallet and smack the shit out of it toward the left as you look at the engine from the front of the truck.

Or wait for Pedro, easier w/two people.
R-
Ray
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Use a super long flathead screwdriver to prevent the fan from turning (wedge it w/the bolts that hold it to the clutch) take the fan clutch removal wrench and a rubber mallet and smack the shit out of it toward the left as you look at the engine from the front of the truck.

Or wait for Pedro, easier w/two people.
R-
Ray
did you really just say that having Pedro there would make it easier?!?
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So far I've smacked the hell out of it (right and left...lately left based on fan rotation to the right and advice) and the only thing that's happened is I've marred the hell out of the AC pulley, broke a screwdriver while holding the fan, and just about stripped the head of the fan clutch nut. Awesome!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf

did you really just say that having Pedro there would make it easier?!?
Your emails are going to my spam box.... Do I need to block you here as well?

Old October 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Sawzall.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
So far I've smacked the hell out of it (right and left...lately left based on fan rotation to the right and advice) and the only thing that's happened is I've marred the hell out of the AC pulley, broke a screwdriver while holding the fan, and just about stripped the head of the fan clutch nut. Awesome!
Damn...that always works for me but if it's the original and never been out it can be stuck good.
I'm in CA through Sun am but have the stuff in my truck and can stop by on the way back from IAD sun of it's not resolved before then.

Heat & pb in the mix now?
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:45 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

I've made the fancy pants tool to hold the pulley...
It's an extra piece of garage door opener arm...about 3/4" side and 3/16ths thick, maybe 20" long.

Drill a hole in the end and slip it over one of the bolt heads on the pulley....stick the big old 36mm wrench on the "nut" and squeeze....

Bob's yer uncle.
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Dude... Call me.

You can have my fan clutch and fan in the mean time.

Which BTW took me 30 seconds to remove.

Old October 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lav, I recommend some PB and then we can try heat tomorrow. If Pedro has a clutch I recommend getting it because while you may not want to think about it, I did end up cutting my original fan clutch off with a sawzall

------ Follow up post added October 12th, 2012 04:53 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
Your emails are going to my spam box.... Do I need to block you here as well?
You know I love ya!
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Use a chisel and a hammer on the edge of the hex... One good whack and it will spin right off.

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I have never owned or needed to purchase a wrench for a fan clutch on a LR and I have never had one give me problems about coming off. I've been taking them off the same way for years with no damage and no problems.

Take a small sharp cold chisel and put it across the topmost flat on the nut close to the edge nearest the direction of removal. Angle it about 45 deg back in the opposite direction. Couple of taps with a hammer and the nut turns a little. If the thread is OK then you can spin the fan the rest of the way off by hand normally. If not then it might take a few more taps on the top faces as it rotates.

The key is the right angle and small taps, you're not trying to smack the nose of the water pump off. You will put a shallow groove in the flat of the nut but nothing major.

Putting it back on is as simple as spinning it on by hand until it stops then let the engine rotation tighten it. Put some anti-seize on the threads 1st if you want it to come off easier next time.

Not a good idea probably for a shop with paying customers but works fine for me on my own trucks.

HTH

Ian

Edit - Great minds think alike Scott I guess, sorry for the double post.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
On a Vbelt Rover V8 (water pump HRC2325) they are reverse threaded. If you have mangled the nut, you can always use a pipe wrench.

-Jeff

Note: reverse threaded would mean you are turning the wrench clockwise as you are standing in front of the truck.
I'm pretty sure mine is the waterpump STC483...not finding HRC2325 anywhere?
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC483.cfm

So yes, the big debate is which way this sucker spins off. The majority of things I find say clockwise as standing in front of the truck (towards driverside) - which is what I was doing yesterday/this morning. Then, there's also the principal of you should remove the nut opposite of which way the blade spins...in my case it spins towards the driverside. So you'd think perhaps then it should be move the nut towards the passenger side to remove - which is counter of what I've been reading/talking/finding.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I had the thread direction backwards and sawzalled one off before I determined I was doing it wrong. Try the other direction.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, fan, fan clutch, v8