3.9L V8 viscous fan clutch removal - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
It's Rovers man...it's always the ones I over-prepare for (replacing the injectors in the Tdi for example) that end up taking 45minutes to fix.
I can SO relate... I've been mentally preparing for the replacement on the tail pipe for a few months. Even had a dry run on the Acura last weekend where I (of course) broke a rusted bolt... Replaced it this morning without much issue! Even had time to spare after putting the tools away! Almost unheard of! Even have time to post this here before the kids come back!
Anyway, hope you guys are having a good time at Jeff's (I assume he got all the parts he needed, you have another 30 mins to call my cell otherwise).

------ Follow up post added October 13th, 2012 11:24 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
That's what I'd be saying if I was posting after the resolution had already been determined, too. haha.
Crap... Busted! I'll blame me on me reading the thread late on my phone, not looking at the timestamps and not realizing that the helpful answers were after the first 10 I read and this was done already!
I mean c'm'on! Who has time to work on his rover during daytime during the week!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
5lb hammer. Damn my biggest is a 3 lb. Wonder how long your water pump bearing will last after two days of beatings.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:23 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
My turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Pretty much did this the entire time....wasn't until later I got mixed input. Regardless it was still on there like a b*tch!
I need to take the fan clutch off to replace my water pump... Finally located the spare pump I bought light years ago, then stood in front of the D with the same question: which way did my engine turn again? (and also the "how do you loosen those tensioners" question). Anyway, bolt did not give way when hitting the wrench, BUT the stuffed rag did not hold the pulley very well, so I guess I'll have to resume this later with more manliness! Looking for something to do over the Thanksgiving WE?
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Jeez guys...put away the 5lb neanderthal mallets. Have yet to meet a fan clutch that would not break loose under strategic application of an air chisel to one of the flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
I need to take the fan clutch off to replace my water pump... Finally located the spare pump I bought light years ago, then stood in front of the D with the same question: which way did my engine turn again? (and also the "how do you loosen those tensioners" question). Anyway, bolt did not give way when hitting the wrench, BUT the stuffed rag did not hold the pulley very well, so I guess I'll have to resume this later with more manliness! Looking for something to do over the Thanksgiving WE?
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:18 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Jeez guys...put away the 5lb neanderthal mallets. Have yet to meet a fan clutch that would not break loose under strategic application of an air chisel to one of the flats.
My Craftman air compressor is recalled and I was told not to use it because it could overheat and catch on fire! [seriously, got a letter on Sat (all joking aside, that will not prevent me from using it)]
I'm going to try to not mark my nut with a chisel first (with application of pbblaster and locking the pulley). If this does not work, them I'll mark it for good hitting!
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
My Craftman air compressor is recalled and I was told not to use it because it could overheat and catch on fire! [seriously, got a letter on Sat (all joking aside, that will not prevent me from using it)]
I'm going to try to not mark my nut with a chisel first (with application of pbblaster and locking the pulley). If this does not work, them I'll mark it for good hitting!
Let me know if you need a hand. It can be tricky getting access even with the correct angled 32mm wrench, the nut is recessed pretty far back.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 18th, 2015, 11:35 AM
mono
david
1999 discovery 2

removal of viscous fan with seized nut

I have taken 4 fans off 4 different land rover disco2s from 99 to 02. Two were very easy with just a tap and two were near impossible to budge. I would first start with watching Doug on youtube at british atlantic where he is taking off a power steering pump. In there he shows the proper wrench and direction to remove the fan. It is important to note he hits it off in a counterclockwise direction as you are facing the truck. That is important because if you start up your truck you will notice the fan also moves in a counterclockwise direction. I think this confuses people as one thread states to watch the direction of the fan and go opposite to remove, which in a disco is wrong. I would like to thank all the replys in this thread as I used them all with my toughest removal.
Steps:
wd40 the nut the day before
at removal time:
heat to nut (I used a small torch on the nut)
rags between the pulleys and belt
vice grip on the right side of the water pump belt
pry bar between the water pump pulley and alternator housing (someone helping hold pressure as the water pump pulley will still move without fixating the pulley)
I tried small punch first at 45 degree angle but with no success
What did work was wrench on the bolt and hit it with a sledge hammer. I hit it first several taps in a clockwise direction and then hit it hard in a counterclockwise fashion and the nut loosened immediately. I made my own 36 mm from a 32mm cheap 8 dollar wrench and angle ground to 36 mm. It is a meaty nut and as long as it it tight to two sides of the nut you will be fine making your own wrench

------ Follow up post added April 18th, 2015 10:38 AM ------

last paragraph should read wrench on the nut.
Old April 18th, 2015, 05:31 PM
mono
david
1999 discovery 2

I realize this thread was for a 3.9 however I find google will direct to your site on the first page and alot of land rover discovery owners end up here. Sorry for the confusion. This thread had alot of similar problems and their ideas have helped me along the way for other issues with my trucks
It is a unibelt serpentine belt with or without active cornering. For the 4.0 or 4.6L

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, fan, fan clutch, v8