3.9L V8 viscous fan clutch removal - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
It's toward the passenger side on an NAS LHD truck (as you face the truck staring over the radiator). Ive done it about 10 times in the past 4 mo on my 4.0, a 4.2 (LWB) and a 3.9 (SWB) while playing with different fan clutch options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Oh, and put the new one on with antisieze! Serp belt trucks are one way and v belt are the other if memory serves me.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Passenger side? Seriously? So confused...

Anyhow, one thing that may not be recommended - but certainly felt good - was I just decided to take my big 5lb mallet and smashed the existing fan right off! Well, access is no longer an issue . Also made me feel a bit better...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sweet baby Jesus wearing a tuxedo shirt...it's off.

For those wondering - passenger side to driver side to loosen the viscous fan clutch (i.e. clockwise if you're standing in front of the vehicle facing it). Which is what I was doing all along...it just wasn't cooperating.

The remnants of my bashing...literally the only way to get this thing off was to bash the fan blades and get better access and use a pipe wrench on it with the handle of my floor jack on the end of the pipe wrench for leverage. Insane. The downside is I'm pretty sure I'm probably due for a new fan clutch now, which I don't have, and takes me out of the running for heading to Jeff Huffs' tomorrow.

I'm also pretty sure I nicked a belt or two while in there, and tore up my AC pulley pretty good .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	58998  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Where is the video? That bastard needs to hang in your garage.

-Jeff
The video would have just been a bunch of headbutting, unintelligible profanity, and bits of fan flying everywhere while I smashed it with a hammer. Actually that probably would have been pretty good.

I'm not even sure there's enough fan bits to hang in the garage but I'll give it a place on the wall of shame next to the broken drag-link end from Rausch.

I have a long way to go to catch up to Huff's collection of broken bits though.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf
Lav, I recommend some PB and then we can try heat tomorrow. If Pedro has a clutch I recommend getting it because while you may not want to think about it, I did end up cutting my original fan clutch off with a sawzall

------ Follow up post added October 12th, 2012 04:53 PM ------

You know I love ya!

------ Follow up post added October 12th, 2012 09:28 PM ------

For the posterity...

You should loosen it the same direction it spins when the truck is running.

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
For the posterity...

That is also correct! Horsey...are you listening!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind

That is also correct! Horsey...are you listening!
Glad it worked out.

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I was waiting for somebody to say: Hold the wrench while I bump the starter, I might not start....
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij

As the cause of your repair, I am sorry, but in any event, it is better than a dented hood and busted rad.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
As the cause of your repair, I am sorry, but in any event, it is better than a dented hood and busted rad.
Ronald don't apologize! It needed to be done...I'm not one to drive around with sh*t unfixed - so you were not the catalyst, but you were a voice of reason. I'm very much happy it's off and the new fan it on. I'm just not happy that it took 2 days .

Missing a fin would not be good for the waterpump either as the fan would be spinning out of balance, and if it grenaded and took out the rad and hood we'd have an "I told you so" situation on our hands, which in my opinion is much worse. I actually appreciate your input and kicking me in the arse to get it done. If it wasn't a love/hate thing with Rovers I wouldn't own 4 (cough, cough...5 : ).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I feel bad when I say something is easy and then this type of thing happens.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:11 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

I feel bad when I say something is easy and then this type of thing happens.
It's Rovers man...it's always the ones I over-prepare for (replacing the injectors in the Tdi for example) that end up taking 45minutes to fix. And the simple ones (replacing the fan on the V8) that take 2 days. Me (and my wife...as she knows where to find me at least...in the garage) are used to this business!

------ Follow up post added October 12th, 2012 10:13 PM ------

It's funny though, I was determined not to let a second evening go by where I had to go to bed mad at the truck. I was going to get that thing off tonight come hell or highwater. So when I took one look at the 5lb hammer sitting there it seemed like it was now or never to start smashing things . Worked out in the long run...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Jason, when can I send my truck down to your place for some maintenance - I like your work. haha
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Jason, when can I send my truck down to your place for some maintenance - I like your work. haha
You should see my paintwork!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 11:08 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb

Just saw this thread. Can't believe Jason did not write this the first post... Someone needs a vacation.
It's pretty much the same for anything that turns: you don't want it to fall off/unscrew itself. Turn the engine on, check which way the fan turns and turn in the same way to unscrew!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Just saw this thread. Can't believe Jason did not write this the first post... Someone needs a vacation.
It's pretty much the same for anything that turns: you don't want it to fall off/unscrew itself. Turn the engine on, check which way the fan turns and turn in the same way to unscrew!
Pretty much did this the entire time....wasn't until later I got mixed input. Regardless it was still on there like a b*tch!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
That's what I'd be saying if I was posting after the resolution had already been determined, too. haha.

Let's face it - Jason wasn't going to get this fan off no matter which way he tried.

This was what I meant to type before iPhone auto-corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Ouch! HAHAHAHAHA

It is supposed to be reverse - from what I remember you can cheat by turning the car on and seeing which way the fan turns, and (of course turn the truck off) then use the wrench to loosen in the same direction it was just spinning. When tightening, don't make it too tight, as it'll continue to tighten as the fan runs.
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
This was what I meant to type before iPhone auto-corrected.
Dam them... ROFL

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb
Dam them... ROFL
Auto correct? I call it auto corrupt!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, fan, fan clutch, v8