3.9L coolant on intake valley gasket - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM
1987 defender 110
3.9L coolant on intake valley gasket

My 94 Disco 3.9L V8 has developed a coolant leak that shows as dripping from the bell housing. As I traced it, it appears to be accumulating on the valley gasket and then running over the back on to the bell housing and dripping from there. There is coolant on both the front and back of the valley gasket, but it only seems to run off the back to show as a leak. I am guessing this is due to the "pitch" of the engine toward the trans. The picture is the back of the engine valley.

I changed the upper radiator hose and clamp thinking it may be leaking at the thermostat housing and on to the valley. After the change, I dried up the valley topped up the coolant reservoir, and ran the engine for a while and seems like I had it licked. This morning I came out to find another small puddle under the bell housing and more coolant in the valley.

My next attempt may be to pull the thermostat housing and reseal it to the block. I cant see or feel any leaking there, but I cant see any leaking anywhere and it seems like the next logical place, but a bit of a pain to get to with the dizzy.

Any ideas or input on other options and direction would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valley gasket.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	91972  

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Tighten the bolts holding the end clamps to the valley pan down and check the back of the heads for leaks.

*not legal advice*
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Robert F
1995 Discovery
I'd replace the short heater pipe reducer on the passenger front side of the intake manifold, the throttle body heater lines, and the small coolant tube near the temperature sending units, and the heater hoses.

Does your 94 have the vacuum switch on the heater hoses? Rover abandoned it by 95 and left the plug dangling in the wiring harness and replaced the threaded nipple in the intake with a plug. You may want to do the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

coolant, gas