3.9 to 4.6 1995 D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2006, 01:09 AM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

3.9 to 4.6 1995 D-90

I just picked up my newzed 4.6, and I like the black intake(GEMS). I think I have 5 options. 1- use the 4.6 intake w/3.9 front cover(check or change water and fuel temp sensors) and change cam 2- use 4.6 intake w/3.9"B" front cover same as #1 plus buy Disco ancillaries 3- use 4.6 intake, front cover, and cam buy 4.0/4.6 ancillaries convert to EDIS/Megajolt Lite and still use 14CUX 4- same as 3 , but use Megasquirt instead of 14CUX 5- use all 3.9 junk I know it is much less painful just to use the short block from the 4.6, but I like the 4.6 intake. ?'s I have with EDIS how do you install the 36 to 1 ring(weld or bolt to front of crank) and can I use my a/c, PS, and Alt with 3.9"b" or 4.0/4.6 ancillaries? Do I have to install spacer with 3.9 covers(D-90 or the "b")? Thanks Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK Here's the deal. To run the 3.9 14CUX you need the 3.9 plenum cover as the 4.6 plenum cover (black one) has the wrong type of TPS and it won't work with the 14CUX as the resistance range is not right.

To use the EDIS you need the 36 to 1 ring, it needs to be mounted to the back of the flywheel, you can get the flywheel with the ring on it already as there are manual transmission Rovers running 4.6s with the GEMs ECU. There are not too many, not sure of any over here but there are more in the UK. So you need to look for a flywheel on a Manual Rover made after 1996 I think (when they changed over to GEMs). You could try and attach something to the flywheel to act as the pickup for the crank position sensor but they have to be spaced just right and they need to be in the right spots.

Now I have the 4.0 in my 90 with the 4.0 intake and the 3.9 plenum cover, it works but the temp gauge sensor (for the dash) is different. The good news about that is it is a standard thread so if you buy an aftermarket temp sensor it will screw right in.

Does all that make sense?
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:49 AM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

About the resistance not bring right. Has anybody tried a 4.6 TPS with a 14cux(have they taken voltage readings). Can you change it with correct one? The ring on the flywheel, is it 36 to 1? If I get a 1996 Disco manual flywheel and use the Land RoverCrank PS that is in the 4.6 block? Does Ford Have the 36 to 1 toothed wheel on flywheel or balancer? What about the alt, PS and the a/c? Thanks Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The 4.6 TPS won't work, I have the resistance ranges for both and I didn't use it because they were too different (I work with electronics)

The Disco flywheel will work with the Crank PS on the 4.6, I don't know that a ford one will work, it may not line up in the corect spot. I also remember someone telling me you could buy something from summit that basicly did the same thing and bolted to the crank pulley, but it is very exsposed t dirt and water and is normaly used on track cars not daily drivers.

If you change the front cover to the 3.9 cover the alt AC and PS will work, but none of them will work with the 4.6 front cover.
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:58 PM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

The alt, PS and the a/c won't work with the 4.6 because of the brackets or they are just the wrong size? Could you post the voltage values for the TPS's? Can you make the 3.9 TPS work on the 4.6 intake?
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Not sure on the alt but I doubt it fits. The AC compressor mounts completly differnt. And The PS pump is similar but I think there are a few minor differances that make it so it won't work.

IIRC, the TPS is an outy for the 3.9 and an inny for the 4.6, so you would need some fancy foot work to adapt one to the other. I'll have to dig around on the weekend to find the resistance values of the TPS for the 4.6 (GEMs) but the 3.9 is 4kohm to 6 kohm the coltage should be .085 to .545 volts and should go up to 4.2 to 4.9 volts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1995, 90, 95, d-90