3.9 stumble stall code 44 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
3.9 stumble stall code 44

My Classic running like dogshit today. Got in drove a few blocks shut off for a while, jumped in and set off for a day trip. I drove 300 miles today got okay gas mileage. Question is, I have not relocated the ignition module from the distributor yet, could this cause all the rough running and misfiring and the resulting code 44, it turned 118k today. It would do everything short of stalling, stumble, misfire, no power. I need to check the wires on the O2 sensor, but the truck has been rough running lately with the warmer temps. Ive replace the TPS and stepper. Truck has always ran on the less than optimal side, but have managed to get 15-17 on the highway. Ive replaced all the ignition parts (genuine) and run close to a gallon of lucas fuel injector cleaner and plenty of Shell "v-power". I might do some parts swapping with the Defender this weekend, how critical is the ignition amplifier relocation? I did clean the MAF this weekend with electronics cleaner, that smoothed the truck out somewhat. I know my Defender has it by the coil, but I imagine there are thousands of early RRC's that have not had it. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
long story short, helps to have the O2 sensors screwed in.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
long story short, helps to have the O2 sensors screwed in.
LOL!
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I hate to bump this thread but. Retighted the o2 sensor ran some errands. Running like shit again, code 44 again. Swapped the O2 sensor out for a known good sensor, put the sensor that was throwing the code in a 4.2 drove it around for 30 minutes. No codes in the LWB with my O2 sensor, still getting #44 with the "good" sensor from the LWB. The plug looks good to be okay, is there a chance some of the wiring in the harness for the O2 sensor is bad? How can I test the O2 sensor plug. If it wasnt throwing this code I would attribute the poor running stalling stumbling to the advance not being relocated from the distributor cap.

Anyone thing an alternator could cause all this?

I might have a 91 Hunter for sale, Ive been working on this thing every weekend since I can. remember.
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

is there a hole in the air tube from the maf to plenum. I had issues and found a hole duct tape and been driving for about 20k no problem
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive replaced that hose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions