3.9 rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2010, 05:13 AM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

3.9 rebuild

how much does a rebuild usually run with a good mechanic? i'm getting tired of making excuses for my rover, it's slow, it's underpowered and i'm always putting money into it. i'm trying to see if regearing, upgraded cams, and an engine rebuild would be cheaper than getting a new car. i love it to death, it's a beast at off-roading bar none but i'm getting tired of half of my paychecks going to it. stepper motor just went out, coolant and oil leaks, head gasket leak, sometimes it will start then immediately stall, or i'll start it and the idle will be really low, under 500rpm, and it will take a while for it to run smoothly. most of the times i'll start it and the idle will just up to 2500rpm because the stepper motor is out. please help, i love it, most fun vehicle i've owned and when i look at it i feel like "how could i get rid of it? am i crazy?" but then i think about all the work that it needs and what will go out after i do that work. so i just need a little help from someone thats been where i've been. i'd appreciate it greatly!

-Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Chris,
If you are in KC, I would encourage you to talk to Kevin Hinckle over at KH Automotive. He will probably recommend a 4.6 transplant, as we had that very converstation today, but he has good rates and does good work.
Matt
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:45 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Chris,
On a side note you do have a one off front cover for a 95 on your classic - it is a serpentine belt with a distributor drive gear. This part is expensive in itself so just make sure you take care of the housing.
My 3.9 cost me the following to rebuild myself:
New sleeves (8*50) - $400 sleeved installed
Deck the motor - $130
Polish the crank - $65
Do the heads - $175
Bearings - $60
Rings - $130
Cam bearings - $100
Gasket set - $?? can't remember
Valley pan and head gasket upgraded
to new style - $80 I think
odds and ends $100
So around $1200 for a resleeved motor.
Don't forget to switch to an steel crank and cam pulley set up.

I also went the 4.6 route rebuild. On top of the above costs figure $2K for the motor and then figure if you resleeve it, the cost will be about $600 for just the sleeves.
O BTW - L.A. Sleeve makes the Tophat sleeve for the 4.6 the part number is "Rover1" and runs about $65 jobber cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2010, 05:15 AM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

matt, thanks i'll definitely check him out. i've been needing to find a good shop that i trusted with my rover. i usually only take it to aristocrat if i can't fix it myself. CDeWan, thanks for giving me the detailed prices, it really helps.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Talk to pendy (Jim Pendleton) here on the forums. He rebuilt a 3.9 out of a disco for me (with serpentine belt front cover and anciliaries) and I love it.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Chris,

I recently re-geared my D90 and it's a heckuva lot better than it was with the stock 3.9 and stock gearing. I was heading down the 4.6 road as well but my mechanic suggested changing the gearing first with heavy duty axles as, if I were to eventually go with a 4.6 and wheel the truck I'd probably need the stronger axles to handle the extra power anyway. I'm happy with the results- and I now have a good, strong platform if I ever get bored and decide to pop in a 4.6. I had a lot of stuff done to my rig at the same time, so it's difficult to tell exactly what the re-gearing portion cost...but I'm guessing the total job is less than what you'll need to spend on a decent running donor 4.6 prior to the labor charges of fitting it into your classic. That being said, it sounds like you need some work done on your motor- not sure how extensive the repairs may be or what your costs will be...just thought I'd throw the gearing argument out there in case you hadn't thought of it in that way. Good luck with whatever you decide- and keep us posted on how it turns out.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

i've had work done with pendy. he's replaced two of my transmissions and put in an LT230 for me but with my car the 3.9 really isn't an option anymore. I have a 5 inch lift with 35 inch tires. i'm going to regear it to 4.11 gears already but i've talked to someone who did that and they had huge tires and it helped but they said it didn't make a dramatic difference. i want a dramatic difference. I want some power because my RRC is such a great car, perfect off-road capability but the power is horrible. I talked to the Kevin Hinkle guy matt was talking about and he said the 4.6 was the way to go with what I want. it's strong, more reliable, and more power. He's put in a 4.6 in a 110 and their 110 was like mine, lifted, big tires, and they loved it. so i think that's the route i'm going to take.
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like you need a sports car, but ask pendy for a price on a 4.6 then.
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Chris,

I recently re-geared my D90 and it's a heckuva lot better than it was with the stock 3.9 and stock gearing. I was heading down the 4.6 road as well but my mechanic suggested changing the gearing first with heavy duty axles as, if I were to eventually go with a 4.6 and wheel the truck I'd probably need the stronger axles to handle the extra power anyway. I'm happy with the results- and I now have a good, strong platform if I ever get bored and decide to pop in a 4.6. I had a lot of stuff done to my rig at the same time, so it's difficult to tell exactly what the re-gearing portion cost...but I'm guessing the total job is less than what you'll need to spend on a decent running donor 4.6 prior to the labor charges of fitting it into your classic. That being said, it sounds like you need some work done on your motor- not sure how extensive the repairs may be or what your costs will be...just thought I'd throw the gearing argument out there in case you hadn't thought of it in that way. Good luck with whatever you decide- and keep us posted on how it turns out.

What did you regear from -> to?

bill
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

It's always going to be underpowered, and its especially pronounced with stock gears and 35" tires. I can't imagine driving around with that combination actually. A cheaper option would be bringing it back down to a more normal lift and tire combination. If you're on a tight budget, being a college student, you might consider that. It would allow you to keep the Rover. A 2" lift with 235/85/16 will make it drive a whole lot better. That's what I have, and I have 4.10 gearing, and it drives great, even at elevation. I also wheel it on trails out here and it does amazingly well.

Have you addressed all the other issues with this lift and tires? If not, you're going to be throwing a ton of money at it as various things go wrong or wear out. I can relate sort of...I bought mine in college 7 years ago. Mine was stock but I put in many thousands of dollars just doing neglected maintenance and I almost sold it many times. Glad I didn't but they're hard to own if you're on a tight budget.
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Chris,

Gears are what I did first also. When you think gears, You think arbs also?, pegged, compressor, upgraded half shafts, CVs?

You are at or above 5 grand now.
A motor is cheaper, but gears are the right way to start in my opinion.

These things aren't race cars. I went 4.43 by the way.
And I love you too
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Make sure it is running right before you condemn it. My second D90 was really slow, it turned out that one of the injector plugs was was switched with the temp sensor and it was running on 7 cylinders.

Stupid stuff and things like clogged cats can really cause them to be dogs.

Ron
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:20 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
Gears are what I did first also. When you think gears, You think arbs also?, pegged, compressor, upgraded half shafts, CVs?

You are at or above 5 grand now.
A motor is cheaper, but gears are the right way to start in my opinion.

These things aren't race cars. I went 4.43 by the way.
Good points! Mine already had the ARB's, etc- so I wasn't even thinking about the domino effect!

------ Follow up post added April 13th, 2010 09:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic View Post
What did you regear from -> to?

bill
stock to 4.11
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

i don't need a sports car. i just need something that can go up a slight incline on the highway and not need to rev up to 4500 to keep a speed of 55mph. that's ridiculous no matter what but that's what my rover does. i have everything replaced with the lift, it's a 3 inch lift and 2 inch body lift so it's wasn't putting a whole bunch of stress on the radius arms and making my driveline angles crazy. i have double-cardan driveshafts and that fun stuff. i've priced everything out, i'm not getting ARB air lockers but everything for the drivetrain is at 3000 for the shafts, cvs, ring and pinion, and the lockers i'm getting. new 4.6=4500 from AB labor to put it in=1900. i've had trouble finding a decent used one with low miles. but maybe it's like Ron said, maybe something as small as my fuel injector is slowing me down. i'll check it out. oh yeah, another reason why i need more power. when i'm passing people, not on the highway, but on a street, it take a good ten seconds just to go ten miles per hour faster. so maybe you guys can understand my need for more power.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild