Defender Source Forum banner

3.9 defender runs rough when warm.

Tags
defender
2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  o2batsea 
#1 ·
I'm working on a 95 d90 3.9l v8. it runs rough when it warms up and stopped at a red light-
the oil light also flickers when it runs rough.
any help would be appreciated

#5 ·
You're oil pump may need refreshing. On mine I replaced the gasket and gears but noticed that the pressure relief valve and spring would stick. So I used some fine Emory cloth to sand the valve. That solved the oil temp and pressure issue. I used rotella oil which is also good for flat tappet engines(3.9). Now idle dropping and stalling could be the vacuum to the stepper motor off of the plenum which I too experienced due to it having a crack. Now thinking about it. Oil pressure is likely flickering when the rpm's drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
check the operation of your o2 sensors and coolant temp sensor at normal operating temp with rover gauge.
there is an underlying issue there...

#11 ·
I would start with the basics first, new cap and rotor button, new plugs and plug wires. (a tune up in other words)
Next step would be to clean /replace the stepper IACV, make sure the o2's are tight. Then I would test/replace the amp module.
90% of issues like this are ignition related.
Use 10/40 oil if your not already..

Ron's suggestion is also very good. And cheap to replaced anyway if not done already.

Let us know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.