3.9 Cuts out for short period of time - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 18th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Small update. I have not had any time to really screw with this thing, but it has gone from intermittent stallings/shutdown to completely cutting off. I rolled the dice and drove it today to work just trying to see what all happened. Early when the truck was cold this morning sure enough I hit 3rd and it starting cutting out. On the way home from work, same thing........hit 3rd and it lost power/cut out. Less than 1/8 mile later it stalled completely. I pulled over and it would turn over and start for less than 1 second and then shut down. I did this for about 15 times thinking I was going to have to say screw it and go get my trailer, but eventually it started, ran fine and I got home. Anyway, I'll add that to the "story" and see what other ideas you all might have.
disconnect the alternator and drive it to rule that out.

Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 19th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Mason Worley
'95/NAS D90 SW #59/500
I have to say that disconnecting the alternator has a good chance of eliminating it, but I'm not sure that it will still give the answer your looking for. I tried to look at all the suggestions and the only thing I could come up with at this time was grounds. There are a lot of grounds and for good reason. "What doesn't go out can't go in". Starting with the battery. Check both ends tight and connected. If/when you get started go start moving each ground and I don't just mean a little. Move like you mean it and if that engine drops off you may have found it. Try the fuel pump, try the battery, ECU connections, Hell...Go change the air in the tires. The problem is their...it's just figuring out what it isn't. You'll find it soon and I'm sure. These are good lessons for when off-roading in the middle of nowhere.

Old September 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
1969 IIA
Dirty Connections on the wiring harness @ the fuse block.

Dielectric grease and 10 years of crap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions