3.9 Classic died driving down the road - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:12 AM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

3.9 Classic died driving down the road

My Sunday drive was ruined when my rover stopped running. I was driving down the road when the gas stopped responding and the RPMs slowly fell to 0. No sputtering at all, just a slow death. I got towed home and started looking around.

So here i am now unsure of what the problem is. I tried my entire pile of fuel relays, but I don't think that is the problem. The pump comes on when I turn the key. Even when i spliced all of the relay wires on the truck still didn't start.

Today i got a new coil and that didn't work either. I am running out of ideas. Is it possible that an O2 wire broke and could cause this? I didn't check those. How can i tell if the amplifier module is any good?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:15 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Have you checked if you actually have spark? Take the lead off the center of the distributor (the lead connecting the coil and the dizzy) and see if it sparks against the engine block. If it does and it's still not starting, pull a spark plug and see if you get spark with the body of the plug held against the engine block.

If you have no spark from the coil and the coil is new, the most likely culprit is the ignition amplifier.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:16 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Have a peek inside the distributor yet?

I had a rotor disintigrate once...no sparky, no drivey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
A 1990 Maryland Classic....the fuel line probably rusted out along the frame rail.

Kidding, sort of....I'd check the spark as mentioned above if you don't have an obvious puddle of gas under the truck.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:41 AM
badvibes
Jeff
1991 RRC

Registry
Became the caretaker/owner of a '91 this past year. Had a sorta similar issue. Here's a link to a thread where I got some good info. HTH.

Jeff

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...-pump-symptoms
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
ignition module still mounted on the side of the distributor ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
ignition module still mounted on the side of the distributor ?
I'm gonna see if a new one will get him going

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Yea we are going to give the module a try. I think it is a newish one I had bought for the 87 a few years back. It has the clip on type connector not the --| style one.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:39 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Picked up all the parts I need to get this going. Several distributors to choose from, a like new IM, caps, resistors, ECMs, MAFs, etc. I'll get to it this weekend hopefully. Maybe it won't be 6 degrees outside...

I think I'll figure this out yet.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:58 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I just went out in the cold and gave my diesel a big hug.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:21 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

When checking the distributor, rotor, etc., don't forget to remember to make sure the distributor is actually turning while the engine is cranking. The last Classic I had in the shop with no spark had a broken timing chain.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Good to know, wouldn't that mean my engine is ruined though? Pistons a valves hitting? There was no signs of catastrophic failure at least.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This sure sounds either complete fuel starvation or electrical. I think if your timing chain broke, you would have heard a catastrophic noise. Most of the parts you have allow the engine to run well, but without, it should at least run poorly. If you can confirm spark on the plugs, then it's gotta be fuel. Maybe the pickup in the tank got plugged up. You could pull the fuel line at the engine and put it in a jar, turn ignition on to get pump going and confirm the fuel is flowing under power.

Also check to make sure the ground strap to the engine is in good order.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:09 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Talked to a buddy today and described it to him. He said he had the exact same slow death and it was his IM. He drives a ford 5.0. Can I get the IM off without pulling the distributor.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:19 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob View Post
When checking the distributor, rotor, etc., don't forget to remember to make sure the distributor is actually turning while the engine is cranking. The last Classic I had in the shop with no spark had a broken timing chain.
While that is certainly something worth checking, I've never heard of a RV8 timing chain breaking until just now.
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:15 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCbass View Post
Talked to a buddy today and described it to him. He said he had the exact same slow death and it was his IM. He drives a ford 5.0. Can I get the IM off without pulling the distributor.
Did you get a chance to run a few tests and narrow the problem down a bit? Have you confirmed whether or not you have no spark?

The IM might be tough to get off without pulling the dizzy. It's simple to pull (assuming you remember where the rotor goes!) and makes the job much easier.

I once ran into a problem with the connector/wiring between the IM and the coil. It had all the symptoms of a bad IM, but the actual module was just fine. It's worth checking that as well.

Sounds like Bill has you covered. Hope you guys figure it out.
Old January 25th, 2014, 01:26 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Ok it's fixed. It was the IM.

I first tried to get spark at one of the plugs and had no success. I then pulled the wiring apart and saw that a bunch of the wires were cracked exposing the bare copper. I separated the wires and insulated the the best I could. I tried to start it again and still had no spark, so I took the distributed out and replaced the IM with one I had bought for another truck, with only a few thousand miles on it.

Here comes the fun. Despite my careful pulling, marking, taking pictures, etc. of the distributer, I still managed to loose the timing. It was as if the oil gear moved while the distributer was out or something. Anyways I had to pull the number one plug and go through the TDC routine. Good news is that the truck runs just fine!

Thanks for the help.
Old January 25th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Good news Rob
You can eventully get TDC! lol

My own experience, having owned 3 RR Classics, for upwards of 14 years...I've never had an ign module issue and never relocated one!

(Running off to knock wood now!
)

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:52 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

My 87 used to cut out at lights and not start again for minuets to hours. I swapped the IM on that too but it didn't make a difference. That truck had an inch of sludge throughout the whole engine, it was a different situation.

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2014 05:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCbass View Post
Ok it's fixed. It was the IM.

I first tried to get spark at one of the plugs and had no success. I then pulled the wiring apart and saw that a bunch of the wires were cracked exposing the bare copper. I separated the wires and insulated the the best I could. I tried to start it again and still had no spark, so I took the distributed out and replaced the IM with one I had bought for another truck, with only a few thousand miles on it.

Here comes the fun. Despite my careful pulling, marking, taking pictures, etc. of the distributer, I still managed to loose the timing. It was as if the oil gear moved while the distributer was out or something. Anyways I had to pull the number one plug and go through the TDC routine. Good news is that the truck runs just fine!

Thanks for the help.
Oh yea, the oil gear had moved but that's not what messed up the timing. I did a quick test and to see if the new IM was ready and the truck started, but in my haste I didn't bolt the distributer down and it walked out of its hole...there went my Timing. Anyways, even if you are giving a quick test, bolt down the distributer...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
classic, vin