3.5 v8 wont start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
3.5 v8 wont start

1986 ROW

3.5 v8 wont start. It ran good yesterday with no issues.

Engine is turning over and has plenty of juice due to jumped it as well as switched out the battery. Think I have rulled out the battery or a fuse.

Have tried starting with choke at all positions. Followed choke cable to engine to ensure was working properly.

Slight smell of gas after trying to start for a bit.

Have tried to wait awhile incase it is flooded but still no start.

Filled up the gas tank yesterday.

Think the starter works. I hear a tic right before the engine turns over.

Any tips would be fantastic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2012, 04:37 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Can you hear the fuel pump running before turning it over?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 9th, 2012, 04:38 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
Tapped a few times on what looks to be the starter. It tried to turn over once after this. Now it wont even try to turn over.

Looks like I need a new starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Before you pay out hard earned cash for parts... check a few things...

If it was turning over and not starting before - then the starter worked at one time.

If it is not turning over now - the battery may just be dead from all of yesterday's cranking.

Definately check your battery - then disconnect and clean your wires going to the starter - all of them - even at the back of the alternator and battery terminal (not sure how the starter +12V wire runs on a 90).

Definately follow up on the earlier recommendation about listening to the fuel pump run... it should "whir" or "tick" with the key turned on - before you start to crank.

After that - check for spark at the distributor.

Also - do you have points or have you swapped to electronic ignition. If you have fuel but no spark - i would start with the points and condensor.
Sterling, VA
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

it's a long shot but bad gas??

Do you have spark??
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
Battery is charged. Motor is turning over but sounds like it isnt getting gas. Choke is good. Pretty sure the starter is working...even though it may need replaced soon as well.

Pretty sure it is the fuel pump like mudsux and firmanshort mentioned. I remember previously hearing a few tics before the engine would start....which I no longer hear.

Fuel pump cheaper than a starter? Easier garage fix or harder?
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

Easy fix if you have an external fuel pump. I have a 3.5 and replaced my fuel pump in about an hour.

FYI, I had the same thing awhile back. It ended up being my module on the distributor. I replaced the entire distributor as it was cheaper than a module by itself.

Did you mess with the carb? This could cause it.
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:35 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by egor View Post
Battery is charged. Motor is turning over but sounds like it isnt getting gas. Choke is good. Pretty sure the starter is working...even though it may need replaced soon as well.

Pretty sure it is the fuel pump like mudsux and firmanshort mentioned. I remember previously hearing a few tics before the engine would start....which I no longer hear.

Fuel pump cheaper than a starter? Easier garage fix or harder?
Yeah easy fix if it is an external one. I have an 1983 3.5 V8 and it is external, here attached to the outrigger:

Old fuel pump

I just removed the whole thing (pump and filter) and put a Facet pump in. RovahFarm has both OEM and facet:

Replacement fuel pump

Here is the new one installed

new fuel pump

The pump has 2 wires, positive and ground. I just connect the positive wire to an inline "super secret" switch and turn it off when I park. My poor man's anti-theft device.

Before you go through all the trouble, just take the fuel line off and see if the pump is pumping any fuel through it. Just be very careful.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:39 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
Went into the garage today and turned the key and nothing...didnt even turn over. Hit the starter with a lug wrench a few times.....started right up. Turned the engine off, tried it again and nothing. It started up again after hitting the starter again.

So, I think a bad fuel pump is rulled out. Unless a fuel pump can work sporadically.

Anyone install a starter? Doesnt look to be too difficult.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:50 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Two bolts. Easy.

Old October 11th, 2012, 11:35 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Two bolts. Easy.
"Should" be easy.... Took me and my father heat and finally an angle grinder to cut of of the bolts (Allen head) to get the starter out.

Then took the starter apart, got everything cleaned up (and lubricated). Put it back together and back in the truck. It's been 5-6 years and no no-start issue since then. Before taking teh starter apart, make sure that if you manually actuate it (by going under the truck with a metalic wrench or something along those lines) it fires up (i.e. this is a "starter" issue and not a "connector to starter/signal to starter" issue).

BTW, this is a different issue than the one you reported above (since the starter/motor turned over and did not fire up).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
"Should" be easy.....
definitely soak it with PB Blaster for a day before you start.

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Trey C
Trey Crowther
1983 V8 110 County

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by usadventureracing View Post

FYI, I had the same thing awhile back. It ended up being my module on the distributor. I replaced the entire distributor as it was cheaper than a module by itself.

Did you mess with the carb? This could cause it.
module ? Do you mean the ballast resistor ? What did you replace it with ?

Mine wouldn't fire even with ether. Dad took a spare plug, plugged it into a plug wire so he could see it spark and grounded it and had me turn the key-no spark. My points weren't opening. He filed them and set the gap and it started right up.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

It is the electronic module on the distributor, bought a proline distributor ( it included the module) from rovers north. My issue this spring was it was not fire on all plugs and then would not start.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
Initially it was turning over but wouldnt start. Not sure what was up with that.

Now nothing happens when you turn the ignition other than the dash lights turn on. No tic or anything. Once you hit the starter a few times with something it starts right up.

Think I will have someone turn the ignition while I am checking the starter for current....before I buy a new starter. Looks like I can get a new starter for under $200 delivered.

I couldnt imagine it being anything other than the starter.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by egor View Post
Initially it was turning over but wouldnt start. Not sure what was up with that.

Now nothing happens when you turn the ignition other than the dash lights turn on. No tic or anything. Once you hit the starter a few times with something it starts right up.

Think I will have someone turn the ignition while I am checking the starter for current....before I buy a new starter. Looks like I can get a new starter for under $200 delivered.

I couldnt imagine it being anything other than the starter.
I would spend the $40 to change the starter solenoid (RTC5049) before I would buy a new starter.. Cheaper parts are designed to fail before more expensive parts... Last weekend I changed out a $40 relay when I feared I had to replace a $1500 refrigerator!

Good luck!
Jay
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
Not a starter issue.

Replaced all of the fuses. All is good now...starts right up and runs fantastic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, v8