3.5 V8 replacement? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:28 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
3.5 V8 replacement?

Hey everyone,

I am going to start by apologizing ahead of time because while I can do a frame off rebuild, I have no clue when it comes to engine and transmissions. Currently I have the original 3.5 V8 with dual carbs in my 110. I would like to replace this sometime in the future. I would like to keep it simple and avoid any ECUs. I like the quirkiness of dual carbs and like to keep my 110 original as possible, but I just want something more reliable with more power.

At this point I am just looking for options and doing a little research. Is it possible to buy a "crate" motor and just bolt it in? I know this is a loaded question but any insight is greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Well you could fit a 4.6 short block and a new cam which, if you retuned the carbs, should give more power. Short of swapping out for an electronic ignition or rebuilding or replacing the carbs (edelbrock makes a replacement manifold and carbs) I don't see getting much more reliable.

What issue are you having? My experience is that 3.5s are the most durable of all rover motors. Other than cams and carbs they seem to run forever.
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:01 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Think his callsign is Firemanshort. Redid his engine which was a 3.5 I believe. Part of the Virginia crew. I think he did a write up on the G&R forum. Got really nice results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2013, 08:11 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
....What issue are you having? My experience is that 3.5s are the most durable of all rover motors. Other than cams and carbs they seem to run forever.
Hey Ron,

It's running fine, leaks a little oil, but a little underpowered. Coupled to my LT95 I am barely hitting 65 mph with the Fairey Overdrive engaged. I am sure the cams are worn, among other things. It could very well be my gearing, another thing I don't know anything about

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2013 08:13 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Think his callsign is Firemanshort. Redid his engine which was a 3.5 I believe. Part of the Virginia crew. I think he did a write up on the G&R forum. Got really nice results.
I'll have to look this up. I really don't want to rebuild the engine. It's been 3 long years for the project, now I just want to drive this thing. Hoping to just drop in a replacement and go.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:33 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
How about with the fairey overdrive off? Janey had a 3.5 with dual carbs and no overdrive and I could easily pull 75 all day. No idea what RPMs it was running at but I never felt like I was winding it out.

I know you said you don't want any ECUs, but if I were going down this path I'd get a used V8 (3.9/4.2/4.6) and put a megasquirt system on it.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I had Janey up to 100mph.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
like ron said, drop in a 4.6, if you want to keep the carb setup, put on the edelbrock intake/carb set up, that is really simple and will drop right in. if you get the carb from RPI, they will jet it for you, or edelbrock will help you out. the 500cfm on a 3.5 or 3.9 will be pretty much spot on out of the box, but a 4.6 will probably need a bit larger jets. the newer carbs work great and have the springs in them to stop flooding out on the trails. i am doing this coversion right now and it should be up and running tomorrow.
Old April 12th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

that RPI looks like a good resource...thanks for that post.
Old April 12th, 2013, 10:14 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
I can hit 100 km/hr

Rick, would love to see some pics or info of your project. Will the 3.9 or 4.6 bolt in to the same bellhousing? Motor mounts in the same place? Will I need to move the radiator fowards? See I told you I don't know anything about engines.

Old April 12th, 2013, 10:28 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
ALL Rover V8s have the same physical dimensions (bellhousing, manifolds, etc) For ease, stick with a Vbelt 3.9 or 4.2 (from LWB). If you go with a 4.6 you need to change the timing cover over to a distributor. Its really not difficult, but it does take a little bit of part sourcing.

-Jeff
Thanks for that info! Didn't even think about the belts.

Old April 12th, 2013, 10:56 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, but didn't you have a Series II up to that speed as well?

What sort of MPG's do the 3.5's get (assuming running well)? I'm guessing they are a little worse than the 3.9/4.0's. Or are there too many variables (cam, carbs, weight of vehicle)?
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:07 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Yeah, but didn't you have a Series II up to that speed as well?

What sort of MPG's do the 3.5's get (assuming running well)? I'm guessing they are a little worse than the 3.9/4.0's. Or are there too many variables (cam, carbs, weight of vehicle)?
Don, I haven't even looked. This is the first time I have driven it in the last 3 years. I assume it will be like my LR3, I just fill it up and drive--without looking at the cost or mileage. If I did I would just have a heart attack.

Old April 12th, 2013, 11:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij

No. Never took Noah the SII to 100. I did peg the speedo with 7.50x16 tires so 80mph or so.
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:13 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I had planned on putting a 1996 3.9 D1 engine in my last 110. I believe that 1996 was the change over point for the distributer/ timing cover.
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I had planned on putting a 1996 3.9 D1 engine in my last 110. I believe that 1996 was the change over point for the distributer/ timing cover.
A 96 will be a GEMS motor which you don't want other than the block. The wiring and sensors are much more complex than the 95 and down 14CUX. Also, finding a 97 D90 fan shroud is nearly impossible these days which would be required for the serp belt set up.

IMHO the ideal donor is a 4.2 out of a 93 or 94 LWB or, better yet, a 4.6 block built up as a 14CUX motor.
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
A disco shroud with a few easy mods works fine with a serp belt setup. I would go with a serp belt 14cux motor myself.

It's best not to think about fuel economy but it's in the 10-12 range iirc.
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Really? Isn't the disco shroud like 4in wider than the defender one?
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I have done it twice now. The removable top cover is wider and can need trimming if it is mounted too low, but if installed properly it covers the belts with a bit of clearance. Mine has shifted downward over time and so I just trimmed it to clear the belts.

Initial mods include trimming the corners to clear the oil cooler lines, and making some L brackets to mount the bottom.
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Don, I haven't even looked. This is the first time I have driven it in the last 3 years. I assume it will be like my LR3, I just fill it up and drive--without looking at the cost or mileage. If I did I would just have a heart attack.
haha, I know - all my vehicles I do that with right now. Was just curious is the 3.5 was in the sub 10MPG range

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2013 11:48 AM ------

Quote:
No. Never took Noah the SII to 100. I did peg the speedo with 7.50x16 tires so 80mph or so.
I knew it was fast and beyond the threashold of many. Both feats are impressive.
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:14 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Ok you guys just lost me. I am just looking for a simple (as possible) drop in replacement for the 3.5 V8. Nothing fancy, no ECUs or shroud trimming. I do not want to replumb the fuel system for higher pressure. I have an external pump now that only puts out 6-8 psi. I also have a snorkel set up and would like to reuse the air intake I have now, if possible. Is it as simple as buying the "lower" block and fitting the "upper" carbs and such back on? God I sound like a moron. That is why I ask here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, v8