3.5 V8 replacement? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:23 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would go with a 4.2 from a RRC LWB aftermarket intake and carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:32 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Forrest, do what dave just said, or do a 3.9. yes, i am taking a few pics of my project and i will post them. it is real easy, just a few minor things to think of that you dont think of until you are in middle of it
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Regardless, you will need to do the cam and cam gears on the new motor. You might just want to do them on your existing engine and see what it is like. You sound like you are way down on power.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:56 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

You can use the heads and front cover on whatever Rover V8 you decide to go with and if you keep a simple carb on it you don't have to change the fuel system at all. I used a 4.6 shortblock and 3.5 heads and front cover for my 110. I did go with a 4bbl intake manifold from a 62 Buick 215 and an Edelbrock 4bbl carb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0270.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	69995  
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:04 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Something like this on the carb (check hood clearance) would be a clean way to hook up your snorkel.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=85-1060

Or you could always go to the junkyard and look for an old Chevy air cleaner that would work
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:15 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
You can use the heads and front cover on whatever Rover V8 you decide to go with and if you keep a simple carb on it you don't have to change the fuel system at all. I used a 4.6 shortblock and 3.5 heads and front cover for my 110. I did go with a 4bbl intake manifold from a 62 Buick 215 and an Edelbrock 4bbl carb.
This is exactly what I am looking for! Just was not sure if it was possible. Is it really this simple? Can you tell me what 4.6 shortblock you are using? I have been reading about Gems vs Bosch and have no idea what I should be looking for. I can reuse the front cover from my 3.5? Not really sure what the front cover includes . What is that on top of your carb? Another air filter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

For your purposes, there is no difference between a Bosch and GEMS short block.
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:00 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

It is really that simple and anyone who can build an American V8 can put it together for you. Yes you can use your heads with a later model shortblock, either Gems or Bosch. My 4.6 was a new at the time 2003 block. The crankshaft nose is longer on the later engines so you have to make or buy a pully spacer. I made one out of the old timing gear. I changed out the cam for a mild performance one to use with a distributor. I ran across the Buick intake manifold for better money than the Edelbrock but either will work. I used composit head gaskets with the earlier non-stretch head bolts and it works fine. Running with a 180 F thermostat and it never overheats with the stock cooling system. I did add an external oil cooler though because I tow with the truck. The thing on top of the carb is actually a peanut can that I made up as a hose adapter so I could use my stock air filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0260.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	70007   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0268.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	70008  

Old April 12th, 2013, 02:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I have seen LRover's set up in person and it is very nice.
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I can reuse the front cover from my 3.5? Not really sure what the front cover includes .
Using the front engine cover from your 3.5 will allow you to use a distributor (I believe).
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
.....The thing on top of the carb is actually a peanut can that I made up as a hose adapter so I could use my stock air filter.
Is that an actual "peanut can" or is that V8 slang for carb adaptor? Where can I get an engine like this? Is Atlantic Brtitish my only option for rebuilt Rover V8s? I assume I will have to get new exhaust headers, water pump, and distributor? I can bolt my original power steering pump and alternator back on? Should I have some forsight and plan for AC?

What tranny do you have attached to this 4.6?

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2013 02:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Something like this on the carb (check hood clearance) would be a clean way to hook up your snorkel.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=85-1060

Or you could always go to the junkyard and look for an old Chevy air cleaner that would work
Thanks Dave!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Basically you take everything off the old 3.5 short block and move it to the new short block (be it a 4.6 or whatever).

You will want a new cam and lifters, you will probably want to rebuild your oil pump, fit a new 3.5 style water pump, thermostat, timing chain, valve seals other wear items etc.

You also need to use an old timing gear and cut the teeth off and use it as a spacer as the 4.6/4.0/serp 3.9/4.2 have a longer crank than a 3.5.

If it were me, I would find a used 4.6 and run that as opposed to paying the ~5k a new reman one costs.

In all honestly, I bet a carb rebuild and new cam/lifters would liven up your 3.5 if the compression is good (easy to check with a $20 tester).
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

Just as Ron said (and thanks). The first to go on the Rover V8's is the cam so if you want to extend the life of your old engine it would be worth a try swapping cams and lifters. All the originial suff will bolt back on your new engine if you decide to upgrade as most of it bolts to the front cover and heads. I started off with the LT95 like yours with the 4.6 but I did not have an overdrive so later I swapped it out for a 5spd and an LT230. With the 4.6 I had to insert the bronze bush in the rear of the crank for the mainshaft of the manual transmission and had to pull out a peg so the flywheel would bolt up. everything else clutch and trans wise bolted right up.

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2013 03:11 PM ------

oh and yeah it was a real peanut can...was lying around the shop and fit so I used it!
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'd add to that a head rebuild. If the valves are gunked up and the guides oval and the seals dried out, you are losing a lot of HP.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:48 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Nevermind
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:59 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Nevermind
Wait, why? What happen? I would like to have your expertise.

Old April 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I put the link in there right after he posted it and figured if it was an accident damage or bad transmission it might be the perfect fit for you and not to far from you.

When he posted the blown headgasket I figured you might not want it.
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:28 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
I put the link in there right after he posted it and figured if it was an accident damage or bad transmission it might be the perfect fit for you and not to far from you.

When he posted the blown headgasket I figured you might not want it.
Oh thanks. I just saw that too.

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2013 04:32 PM ------

This looks interesting.

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Been busy ...

... I pulled my old 3.5 and put a hotter crower camshaft and new timing gears. I also put fuel injected motor's head on (they have slightly larger valves). New gaskets, rings, and bearings, Edelbrock intake and carbs - and viola - good motor.

I swapped out the transfer case gears with a high ratio set from an early Range Rover.

In the end - my 3.5 runs quite well, I can easily maintain 75-80mph all the way from Virginia to Maine.

You could use the 4.6 short block but you will end up tossing a lot more cash. It is all a horsepower and dollars equation.
Sterling, VA
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:52 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks David, I will have to find your rebuild and read up on it. Do you have a link handy? Can you give me an estimate of how much it cost you to do that? Just a ball park range to shop/compare. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, v8