3.5 V8 questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

3.5 V8 questions

My new to me 1983 Defender 110 was just delivered today and driving home from the drop off I could not get past a speed of 35. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also does anyone have any info on the type of carbs that are stock on the 3.5 engine, one has oil in the other is dry. What type of oil do I use? I may have other question so thank you in advance.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Only running on one carb

The factory set up us dual side draft carbs. I think you figured it out - you are running on only one carb from the dual carb set up.

There is a connecting rod that links the throttle from each carb together. It has cheap plastic ends on it that like to break. Check that.

If your oil dash pots are not right then the one carb is not going to breathe correctly.

There are lots of people with theories for oil type. ATF or normal engine oil seem popular choices. Do not use brake fluid.

If you find no joy with the side drafts - seriously consider an Edelbrock intake with an Edelbrock carb.

Really cool guys wire up the EFI from a DISCO 3.9 on thier 3.5's - but I could never be that cool.

But back to reality - check and clean your side drafts - refill both with clean new oil.
Sterling, VA
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Congrats on your new to you Rover! You probably have an LT95 transmission/transfer case. Make sure its not stuck in low range, that may account for your slow speed. Your carbs will be either Zenith or SU's. If I remember correctly, you use 10w motor oil for the carb and you should feel the plunger contact the oil with about a half inch of the punger out of the top of the carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
blenkush
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3

carbs

Brett,

I have a Triumph TR6 with similar carbs. Mine are Stromberg, I think Rover used the same ones. Regardless, there is something called "Dash Pot Oil" made by Solex that I use. It's in a plastic yellow bottle with a red top (roughly 4 oz in size) and is designed specifically for this carb style. One of my TR's was dry (not sure how it happened??) and the car would idle but barely drive - sort of like the sypmtom you described. Filled the carb and it ran great. I'd try Moss Motors, The Roadster Factory or any other place that serves British cars for the oil. In the mean time, it won't hurt to add a lightweight motor oil. Good luck!

Cheers,
Severin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100167.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	34495  
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:15 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

Thanks for all the info.

Does anyone have info on part numbers an Edelbrock intake with an Edelbrock carb. In the meantime I will fill with oil and check the throttle linkage.

I have a 1968 series II and I have a workshop manual (green bible), is there anything like this for Defenders.

Thank you again,

Brett
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by usadventureracing View Post
Thanks for all the info.

Does anyone have info on part numbers an Edelbrock intake with an Edelbrock carb. In the meantime I will fill with oil and check the throttle linkage.

I have a 1968 series II and I have a workshop manual (green bible), is there anything like this for Defenders.

Thank you again,

Brett
Looks like we have the same truck. Details man, details! We need pics! Here you go:

http://dividingcreekroverimports.com...erhaul_manuals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

Edelbrock Performer Dual Plane manifold #2198 fits a Rover V8. You can also use a four-barrel intake off an early '60s Buick 215 V8 which is what I did. The Edelbrock (Carter) carb 1403 works well with either manifold and you can get it with a manual or electric choke. I suggest adding the off-road kit (needle valve springs) and lowering the fuel level in the float bowl a little from stock setting to prevent flooding in extreme angles. Tons of info on the web about this carb and how to set it up for off-road.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have some spare carbs you can have for cheap if you are interested.
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

What type of carbs? how much? Do you have a manifold?

I will get pictures out soon, it was dark last night when I brought her home, but I puchased it from Rovers Out East.
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just stock ones. I do have the manifold.
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

So is there a straight 10w motor oil or are you talking about 10w-30 or 10w-40?

Thanks again
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:46 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig

I think my owners manual called for 10w motor oil but I used 10w-30 with no ill effects.
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Ditch the stock manifold and carbs and replace it with the Edelbrock 2198 manifold and 1404 carb.
Is your truck 4 speed or 5 speed? Replace the distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Change all the fluids etc...

I have a 1988 Defender with 3.5. I installed the Edelbrock manifold and carb as soon I could after buying it. The switch made a big difference in performance.
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by usadventureracing View Post
My new to me 1983 Defender 110 was just delivered today and driving home from the drop off I could not get past a speed of 35. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also does anyone have any info on the type of carbs that are stock on the 3.5 engine, one has oil in the other is dry. What type of oil do I use? I may have other question so thank you in advance.

Brett
Dashpot oil can be ATF. We always used it in the ZS (what you have) and the SUs. They are good carbs but are more work than a 4 barrel. Edelbrock has a good one for this motor. I have an Offy sitting around for my Olds 215. Put a 390 cfm Holley on it and youll be fine. Anything bigger on a stock motor is overkill.
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

I just ordered a manifold and carb. I have an automatic transmission. Thanks
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

In the meantime while my parts are shipped I would like to get the car running.

I filled the carb with oil, but the car will not start. I was told the car was driven on New Years Eve and in a warmer climate. It is cold here so I was told that I will need to adjust the carbs. Are there specific tools I will need and is there a source on how to adjust these.

Thanks
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Adjusting the Z/Ss is simple enough once you get the hang of it, but also complicated enough that you probably don't want to learn just for a "meanwhile" thing. To do it properly, you need a carb balancer i.e. an Uni-syn or something like it.

Also, cold climate per se should not warrant a carb adjustment.

IMHO, it sounds like you have a broken diaphragm. Take the carb tops out (just four screws each), and look at the rubber thing bellow. The slightest crack there, and the truck will run as described.
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Wow, seems like you are jumping to conclusions too quickly here Brett.

Let's begin with the no-start. What exactly happened? Did it just turn over and not fire? Did you use the choke? If yes, did you try holding down the accelerator pedal in case you flooded it? You might want to charge up the battery and try a few things before tearing into the carbs (other than putting oil in therm).

For the speed issue, you need to make sure you are not in low range. How first could you go in first gear for example? Force the tranny into first to make sure.

charles
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

The car was delivered on the transport and the guys got it started and it ran terrible. I drove it home and could not get it moving past 35 (I checked the low vs high range). Now it turns over but does not fire and yes I used the choke. I thought maybe I flooded it and did hold down the accelerator pedal and still no start. I completely charged the battery.

Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Brett
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like you should check for spark, maybe try some starting fluid into the carbs, or pull the plugs to see if they are wet (although if it was flooded, then sitting for a while should fix that on it's own).

So it was just running poorly and not getting rpms up?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
v8