3.5 twin carb switching to twin K&N air filters - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2014, 12:17 AM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
3.5 twin carb switching to twin K&N air filters

Folks - was thinking of taking out the original air filter can and replacing with a pair of K&N filters on my twin SU carbs.

Its a 1988 and I have an exhaust gas recirculation system (metal tubes coming off exhaust manifold to a small header on each side of engine with 1" hoses that join just before going into the 3" breather pipe between the carbs and air cleaner

Plus I have one rubber hose from one of the valve covers also into the same 3" breather pipe.

So the the existing system is pulling from these connections and recirculating these gases back into the carbs.

It seems safe to block the egr hoses from the two small headers (that gas will just go out the exhaust pipe). BUT what about the rubber hose from the top of the valve cover? Block it? leave it open? If I leave it open it might be a mess. If I block it will it build air pressure inside the valve cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2014, 08:16 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

you will need to route the breather from the valve cover back to the air cleaner somehow. If you block it off, pressure will build up in the engine and will cause all the seals to leak way worse than they may do now because the pressure has no where else to go. If you drive a lot of dusty roads, you may want to consider leaving the original air cleaner as it does a pretty good job.
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
you will need to route the breather from the valve cover back to the air cleaner somehow. If you block it off, pressure will build up in the engine and will cause all the seals to leak way worse than they may do now because the pressure has no where else to go. If you drive a lot of dusty roads, you may want to consider leaving the original air cleaner as it does a pretty good job.
I'm in agreement. K&N products really add nothing useful to a LR product. You don't say what you are trying to solve with the proposed mod but I suspect messing with emission related item (EGR) might be a no no.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I removed it all. The pipes screwed into the head will unscrew and a stubby bolt of the same thread fixes that issue. The engine is far easier to work on with all of that removed. That said given your location wouldn't you want to keep the warm air warm up setup ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:11 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

They also make a filtered cap for the valve cover issue

Old October 19th, 2014, 12:12 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
good advice but a couple questions

I was considering doing this because the K & N folks boast about their products breathing better than conventional air filters so they give better performance. Also they are serviceable/reusable.

I have a K & N on my Chevy duramax and like it.

Doug you mentioned that the original set up has an air warming function. Yes that seems like something I should be keeping up here. Which part of the setup provides this function? Is it the gas recirculation from the heads? Is it the fact that the whole intake system rests on top of and behind the engine which has a warming effect?

I ask so I can make a more informed decision whether to do this or not.

Is there anything that could/should go that will help with performance without degrading the functionality? I.E anything that strictly has an air pollution function and nothing else?

Thanks
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:44 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Happened across this thread.

I would not be driving a licensed vehicle right now if I have not removed the stock filter(s) and put KN filters on the SU carbs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch