3.5 Carb Help Please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
3.5 Carb Help Please

So I am in the process of refilling all the fluids back into my rebuild to get the engine started. I put fuel in the tank and turned on the pump to prime it and I get fuel all over the floor. If you look at the picture it is coming from the carb and coming out the end of the tube. I made pretty good tags when I took everything apart. I do not remember this being attached anywhere. Did I miss something?

I did buy a new external fuel pump rated at 6-8 gph instead of the 4-6 gph. Could this cause too much pressure? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	28596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	28597  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2010, 09:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Forrest, I don't think fuel should be coming out of those (making me think you might be right about the pressure increase to blame). On Janey these just route to the side of the engine down the to frame where they are open - so they look like overflow/pressure release points, but I am not sure. I'm hazarding a guess that they didn't design it to dump fuel on the ground (in other words i'd think that was an air vent since its right above the intake) so something must be wrong!

I can tell you that fuel comes up in one of those lines that come under the carb and connect to the front, tees off to the other, and then returns on the other side line.
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

gph is not the issue, it is psi. The carbs like very low pressure.
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Whoops, I meant 6-8 PSI not GPH. Is that too high?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:56 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I am guessing too high, I had the same twin carbs you had and I think 5 psi is too high at times so I bought a fuel pressure regulator and dialed it down to 3.5 psi and it works just fine. A fuel pressure regulator may be your cheapest and easiest diagnostic tool for this problem.

Doesnt the lines you are talking about go to the air filter box?

BTW upgrade to an Edelbrock 1404 and 2198 intake manifold.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:19 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe View Post
Doesn't the lines you are talking about go to the air filter box?
I don't know. I don't remember it going anywhere. It just hung off the back of the engine. I think.

3.5 PSI? I can't remember where it should be at. I remember reading 4-6 was normal that's why I bought this pump.

Old June 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Hi Forrest,

Those are vent pipes. The factory set-up has a single pipe coming from each side, and then routes them down along the side of the engine to the frame. Check out my photos (if I've attached them correctly!)

I agree, fuel should not be shooting out of these things, but with that said, I've had a couple drips of fuel from these pipes after extended driving on a hot summer day.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0779.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	28599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	28600  

Name:	IMG_0787.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	28601  
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoleman762 View Post
Hi Forrest,

Those are vent pipes. The factory set-up has a single pipe coming from each side, and then routes them down along the side of the engine to the frame. Check out my photos (if I've attached them correctly!)
Thanks Mike, that really gives me a piece of mind. Do you know what PSI you are running at?

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

Hmm...I really don't know, and I'm not sure how I'd check it to find out. However, I am running the factory fuel pump, and the shop manual says it should be set between 3 and 5 psi. So my best guess is that my system is running at the correct factory psi.

Hope this helps.
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You want it near 4psi from what I hear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions