295/75/r16 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 18th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Rover- Girl

Exclamation 295/75/r16

I just had my OME kit installed which made a considerable difference in lift.
My mechanic thinks that as far as tires is concerned the 285/75/R16 would fit nicely
but that I also could fit the 295/75/R16 if I wanted to!
Has anyone put these tires on there truck !? I have a lot of wheelwheel showing and want
to make good use of it...FYI this will be a "Birthday" present from my husband( the tires), so I want
to be sure and make the most of it ..
ps.. I don't mind trimming the fenders if needed, I just want to know if you all think the
295/75 are a bit overboard !?
Thanks
Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover- Girl
I just had my OME kit installed which made a considerable difference in lift.
My mechanic thinks that as far as tires is concerned the 285/75/R16 would fit nicely
but that I also could fit the 295/75/R16 if I wanted to!
Has anyone put these tires on there truck !? I have a lot of wheelwheel showing and want
to make good use of it...FYI this will be a "Birthday" present from my husband( the tires), so I want
to be sure and make the most of it ..
ps.. I don't mind trimming the fenders if needed, I just want to know if you all think the
295/75 are a bit overboard !?
Thanks
Christine
If it's a case of trimming for 295's and not trimming for 285's, I'd opt for the 285's. The 295's would give you less than a half-inch more in width and just a little more than a half-inch in diameter. Not much of a benefit IMHO. Even so, if hitting the fender is an issue, there are a few remedies to try before resorting to trimming.

Cheers,

-- Spalding
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
255/85
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

On stock rms, you'd need spacers for a good turning radius and flex not hitting the inner wells/spring mounts, but yeah, other than that, GO FOR IT! my 285s on stock suspension and 1.25 wheel spacers is a great combo...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
are you saying that the 255/85's will fit with no mod besides having the OME's? I recently did mine suspension also, and have been wondering what kind of tires to put on since I too have a lot of wheel well space. I have read just about every thread on tires, and like many it seems to be just about personal preference. Mine is a daily driver right now, so maybe the stock ones it came with are just fine.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Be Careful! I had 255-85-16's and I hated them!!! They sucked in the rock, which is 95% of the wheeling we do in CO. When you air down the tall size tends to role under the rim on a side hill effectively narrowing your track width. (This sucks!!!) Also your track width is narrowed by 30 cm just by the tire size (using stock rims).

In mud they are probably OK. Generally you do not air down in mud because you want the tire to bite into the ground.

I have seen 305-75-16's on Art's old truck, but he said the turning radius was horrible.
You can put wheel spacers on to better the t-radius, or change rims, then get out the saws-all to increase the tire clearance for full stuff into the wheel wells. This is not an option for most.

Also with bigger tires comes gearing questions axel questions etc.

285-75-16 is a great size with an OME lift. Full wheel stuff, no rubbing, no cutting, looks good too.

I have also seen 285's on a stock suspension, but it looked kinda silly.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I agree. 235's and 255's are probably best left for people who deal with mostly mud and snow. Too narrow to air down properly for rocks and I would say too narrow for sand too. Of course, since I mostly deal with mud and snow around here..... 235/85R16's have been working great for me.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Rover- Girl

Great overall advice, thanks...I'll go with the 285/75 BFG/AT and have them adjust the steering stop since( they did rub against the whatyamacallit arm ....anyway, I am really happy with the looks of the whole set up.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:03 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I would be careful around the BFG AT. I have had them in the past and was not fully satisfied. Over rated in my opinion. They were good in the snow, lousy in the mud, good on the road wet or dry. I had about three flats, no hard wheeling at the time either. I just put on a set of Interco Trxus MT's 285/75/16. They are quiet, great in the wet, snow, ice, and mud. They are very well siped which softens them up to keep them quiet. On the highway they are better than the BFG MT's that were on the truck. The Trxus MT's cost me $220 a piece up here in Calgary and I see they are dirt cheap in the US. To compare with a TOYO Open Country MT that was going to cost $360 each. The Trxus is a great deal and will do the mud 20 times better than the BFG AT.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Down side to the Trxus is that they wear fast, at least mine did. I'll say 1/2 the miles a BFG AT will go. My experience is that a Trxus also takes a lot more weight than the BFG, but we are comparing an AT to a MT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags