Defender Source Forum banner

285/75/16 SSR's on stock wheels

Tags
wheel wheels
16K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Red90 
#1 ·
Does anyone run this set up? I have 2" RTE springs, and want to know if there is any rubbing with these tires on stock wheels. It seems through my searching that most guys with these tires have steel wheels. I would enjoy seeing pictures of these tires with a 2" lift as well if anyone has some handy. I have been leaning toward the 255/85, but really like the SSR's in the 285/75.

Thanks

#2 ·
Most of steel wheels are 6", some are even 5.5", so you shouldn't worry too much.
285/75R16 on stock wheel is a very common set up, you can find plenty information on past threads. If i remenber well, you may have to adjust your steering stops and also you'll get some rubbing crossing axles with stock suspension, but as you have a 2" lift you should be safe.

#4 ·
I currently have 285 BFG KM2s on my 94 with stock wheels and no lift there is no rubbing in the front at all. But in the back I have no swaybar and at full stuff there is very minimal rubbing.
I think that the 285/75/16 is a great tire size for these trucks.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. The reason I am asking about the 285 SSR is because they say they are 33.9" tall where as most of the 285's are 33-33.2" tall. I didn't know if that made much of a difference or not. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I guess if other 285s rub these would to though.

#7 ·
Not quite applicable but my 255/85/16's rub the radius arms on full lock. My series LR's used to do the same on the leaf springs. Never worried about it really.

The 255's also rub at the front edge of the rear wheel arch eyebrow when the axle moves upward. I'm using Rovertym trailing arms and I suspect I might need to insert one of their spacers to lengthen the arms a bit. This bothers me more than the front situation.

Don't know if that really helps, but there you have it.

#9 ·
I have these tires on 7" modulars. I've trimmed the flares and extended the rear bump stops by 1". Mine are fully tested to the limits of wheel travel and they just barely fit.

First, what do you mean by "stock"? Stock NAS90 rims or stock ROW 90 rims?

Personally, I cannot see how they could work without spacers. These tires are much larger than normal 285/75s. At the least, your turning radius would be horrible.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/Red90rover/100_1651.jpg

#11 ·
I don't know why this is such a hard decision for me, but I can't decide what tires to get. I want to go as big a possible without having any trouble. Seems like the 255 might be the ticket due to width issues with the 285. Anyone running a 34 x9 x 16? Seems real narrow and like you would be giving up some traction, but maybe the added height is worth it???? Any other suggestions?

#13 ·
Anyone running a 34 x9 x 16? Seems real narrow and like you would be giving up some traction, but maybe the added height is worth it???? Any other suggestions?
I use as a spare for the SSRs. You don't want to run a tire like that on the road. Great off road.... The SSRs are quite decent on the road.

#14 ·
I still have not been forced to make a decision on the tires, because all of the "buyers" on my current tires continue to fall through. Where can I source the spacers? What is the approximate cost? Would I be better off buying steel wheels with different back spacing? If so what back spacing would fix the problem? Where can I find the steelies? Can some of you post pictures of your rig with these tires and tell me what you set up is?

Thanks- Martin

#19 ·
Some pics of the SSR's in use here: http://defconfour.unionstreetbikes.com/media/index.php?level=album&id=6

Running Steel Wolf's, no spacers, 2" OME suspension. They only rub the front arm on one side and it's at really low speed (like pulling into a parking spot) and I just correct it by not turning the wheel as hard.

On the trail the rear tires rubbed the fender flairs a little at full tuck. But again at slow speed so I just let it go. I can take some driveway pics too if you want a level ground look.

255 vs 285 - I had 255 BFG MT's before these. Great tire. Lighter and tucks with no issue compared to the SSR. Keeps the mud inside the wheelwell. Noise and ride level they are about the same. On trail - about the same but it was a while between when I swapped so I don't have any 'scientific' data. On road - about the same - the SSR's feel heavier but once up to speed feel good.

The main issue I had with the 255 BFG was the pizza cutter look. I'm sorry, I'd get into the 90 and just wasn't stoked on seeing those skinnier tires. I've heard good things about the SSR's on the board and for the price (I bought 4 used) I was happy with the +33" size and little extra width. They are still even with the fender flares so they keep the mud from flying. But seem to work rocks better. They are a little wider so should over better protection for your alloys. Keep the psi's from being too high and they will ride well.

Overall, I'm happy with them. There is a little wobble at 65mph or so but at 70 they feel great. I drove a friends stock Jeep with little street tires and even my wife commented that the 90 with Swampers had a better ride.

Let me know if you have any questions.

#21 ·
Super swampers are on back orde due to a strike at the plant that produces them. I was told they might not be available for several years because production has been off line for quite some time now. Anybody know about this, or where I might still find these tires?

#22 · (Edited)
I found mine at NTWO after several calls.
They were the last four; I read that production started again (or was about to start) and some models will be made in China (can't say if SSR are on the list).

Try NTWO, they might have found more in the meanwhile...

BTW, this is my 2nd set.
I just love them, there are a few threads of mine about these tires,
the Cube has almost no lift at all, very soft springs, trimmed flares and inner gurds and rear corners, 8x16" steel rims (go check John's page on rims, mine are listed and John made a good compilation, you'll find the most common rims and their offset).
They sure do rub on the radius arms no matter what, but get used to it, no big deal, plus reduced steering angle might help your CVs :tounge

The only thing I don't like it's the weight...they're as heavy as dead pigs.

Attachments

#25 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this is the closest one I could find related to my question.

Deep dish alloys 16x7 rims... Can I fit Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 285 75 16 tires on them that state an approved rim width minimum of 7.5? Tire stores mount these?

Thanks

#27 ·
I ran 315/75's on stock deep dishes. I had an independent mechanic/tire shop mount them. The chains wouldn't do it. Not because of the size but because I wanted 8oz of airsoft pellets in each wheel.
The guys at thw indie shop had actually heard of motocross guys doing that so it wasn't a foreign concept to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.