285 75 16 on the Hood? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
I found a good solution for a narrower tire on the hood for the 265-75-16 (235-85-16) is the same diameter but about an inch narrower. Wrangler DuraTrac is Goodyear, Firestone MT, Kumho KL71

I was wondering if anyone made a size to match to a 285-75-16, I can't seem to find any with the same diameter but with a narrower tread.

My other question is how close does a spare have to be to the rest of the tires? (for short term use)
I would just deal with big tire on the hood or get a swing away carrier. I would not want different sized tires on my truck. Ever. I do not buy a set of tires unless there is a matching spare, it's sloppy.

Do not read the next sentence.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:30 AM
83 110
leads me to another ? Doesn't the wear on the 4 tires eventually make them a bit smaller than the spare that never hits the ground?
Whats an acceptable size difference in a spare tire/

Old August 26th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Capt Milks
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25
On any AWD car/truck it is very important to have the same size and type of tires on the four corners unless the car/truck was engineered that way. With that said... Ever see a car running around on those fake spare tires? As long as you are not taking a long trip with the smaller spare on and realize that you can not emulate Speed Racer with it on, it should be fine. if you use it as a spare to get to a location to fix or replace the busted tire you will be fine with a smaller tire.
I am doing a 110 Double Cab project. I am planning on doing the spare on a swing away carrier. I have had the smaller tire on the hood of the 90 and couldn't stand the thing in my vision. Off road it was horrible.

Land Rover 110

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions