255's on a 110 with 2.5 NA? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
255's on a 110 with 2.5 NA?

Anyone here run 255's on a 110 with a stock 2.5 NA diesel? I have stock gears and a 1.6 t-case and 235's. I can cruise at 65mph unloaded in her current configuration. Naturally it takes about 2 minutes to get there. I'm about to add 400 lbs to the truck between a custom cage, custom bumper/carrier and an ARB w/winch. Wondering if I add 255's if I'll ever be able to maintain 4th gear on anything other than a downhill. Any thoughts?

I had an engine upgrade in mind but I'm going to give it a few more years since the 2.5NA runs so well. I sold my first motorcycle for something 'bigger' and regretted it for years. I figure I ought to get my money's worth out of the 2.5 for a while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2013, 08:16 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I think you're gonna have a bad time. Stick with that you've got. Embrace the suck. Start saving your pennies for a two hundy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

think you are looking at adding way more like 600 lbs plus. Go down to your local Home Depot and buy 600lbs of soil mulch etc. Drive for a month. Then decide. Bet the cost of all those additions isn't to far from dropping in a tdi.

You'll get a far better return on your investment every day with a Tdi than an ARB.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You will be fine with 255s.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I an running 33x12.5r-15 old school BFG's with an ARB bumper, winch (steel cable) and a 255/85R16 on the hood. Full size spare on the rear and the full Safety Devices cage, Plus a 33x12.5 BFG spare on a swingaway tire carrier on back. So I am heavy andit is taxing the 2.5 pretty hard. I get a top speed of around 60 mph depending on the wind. You will lose 5th on any grade or high head winds. At the end of the day all you have is 68 angry little hamsters in there.
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
This is how I roll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slow Rover.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	84243  
Old November 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Very helpful ya'll -- thanks.

The weight is getting added regardless - payments already made. I asked specifically about tire size because I knew the wider diameter would slow down my acceleration and ability to maintain speed under load... just looking for results of similar setup from those who have done it. I want 255s, but if 235s will propel me a little better I may just stick with them.

I'd load up my truck with 600 pounds, but I'm deployed and my truck is in the shop. Thanks!

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2013 10:33 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I an running 33x12.5r-15 old school BFG's with an ARB bumper, winch (steel cable) and a 255/85R16 on the hood. Full size spare on the rear and the full Safety Devices cage, Plus a 33x12.5 BFG spare on a swingaway tire carrier on back. So I am heavy andit is taxing the 2.5 pretty hard. I get a top speed of around 60 mph depending on the wind. You will lose 5th on any grade or high head winds. At the end of the day all you have is 68 angry little hamsters in there.
Very helpful, thanks!... sounds like we'll have similar setups. I'll probably lose 5mph max speed with the 255s due to the lower gearing, lack of horsepower and increased weight.

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2013 10:34 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I think you're gonna have a bad time. Stick with that you've got. Embrace the suck. Start saving your pennies for a two hundy.
Pennies were saved this deployment for an OM617 kit... but I decided I was no longer comfortable driving around in a ROW110 without a roll cage. That took priority!

Thanks!

Old November 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I have a 200tdi, but when I went from 235/85s to 285/75s, I didn't really notice a big drop in acceleration or top speed. Actually I think the truck works better with these tires as it now has taller gearing which works better at freeway speeds.

I did recently add a full external cage though, and that made a big difference to how the vehicle handles. It's noticeably more top heavy around corners, it's noticeably slower to accelerate, it can't hold its top speed as much on hills, and it's louder at speed. I made a tradeoff there for the extra safety. It's ironic that the modification I made to make the vehicle more safe in a rollover is what's most likely to push it "over the edge" in an accident.
Old November 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Yea Dave when I went from the qrigional 7.5 r16's to the 33's and bumper/winch I lost a solid 5mph But I plan on addressing the motor soon because I have driven a 110 with a 200tdi and it is a world of difference.
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have a very nice 200 for all you fellas- or at least the first one, when you get ready. Has all the entire drivetrain, dash, wiring, etc. Not all of that is needed when going from a 2.5, but it does keep it factory correct...
I still -after all these years, prefer the 2.5 on a trail rig, but the 200/300 makes it livable in the real DD world.

Old November 15th, 2013, 12:03 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
It's ironic that the modification I made to make the vehicle more safe in a rollover is what's most likely to push it "over the edge" in an accident.
Bitter irony indeed. Once I get some modern seats in the middle row I think this thing is going to be potentially safer than some modern vehicles for impacts... between exo-cage, sliders with tree bars, ARB, beefy rear bumper. That being said, it is definitely going to be even more roll-over prone.

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2013 12:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
I have a very nice 200 for all you fellas- or at least the first one, when you get ready. Has all the entire drivetrain, dash, wiring, etc. Not all of that is needed when going from a 2.5, but it does keep it factory correct...
I still -after all these years, prefer the 2.5 on a trail rig, but the 200/300 makes it livable in the real DD world.
I'd be all about it -- but its a new engine or a full contribution to the Roth this year. I figue I ought to save at least a little money after this deployment

Old November 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
sliders with tree bars
Agree - sliders on a Defender are as important has a roll bar or cage. Perhaps even more given a slow speed T-bone would probably push the door/floor/seat box to the frame rail and take out your legs with it.

Even the Land Rover crash dummy knows not to ride in a Defender without sliders and cage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRCrashTestDummy.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	84272  
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Agree - sliders on a Defender are as important has a roll bar or cage. Perhaps even more given a slow speed T-bone would probably push the door/floor/seat box to the frame rail and take out your legs with it.

Even the Land Rover crash dummy knows not to ride in a Defender without sliders and exocage!
Great photo. I'd never seen that before.

I've been pondering some designs to straight up replace the sills with sliders that would also improve on the existing folding step design by incorporating the mounts in somehow. However, I had too many other projects going on this year to work on that one.

I guess the consolation for me is that between the lift and the bigger tires, most vehicles are going to be hitting me somewhere below where my legs are anyway.
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:51 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

You guys crack me up. You don't need an exocage. You're not driving across the Darien. You just need a simple but sturdy internal roll cage to protect you and your passengers in the event of a rollover. Sliders before roll cage? You're mad.

/
/
/
/
Old November 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
You guys crack me up. You don't need an exocage. You're not driving across the Darien. You just need a simple but sturdy internal roll cage to protect you and your passengers in the event of a rollover. Sliders before roll cage? You're mad.
Wow, I really wish I had you around when I was deciding what kind of cage to put on my truck. I guess all that time spent on needs assessement and sorting out the best option for my scenario was a waste of time when I all needed to do was ask you.
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:32 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
When I put my 255's on the 110 drove better and turned easier. Maybe a little slower but I couldn't tell. I have yet to have it on the highway (too many damn things I keep fixing) but it moves along on the local roads at 50-55mph.

If you already have 235's, I'd probably just keep them and do the other updates for now. I wish those 2.5's had a bit more power, they are neat little engines.

Nice looking 5 door BTW!
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Dale, out of curiosity, LT77? 1.4 or 1.2 TC? Thanks.

-Neil
Old November 16th, 2013, 01:34 AM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

My 110 has 285/75/16 on 93 RR wheels with a 2.5 NA with the 1.66 and get about 60 mph on the flat drops off about 5mph on over passes. It pulls pretty strong around town. Of course you piss people coming out of a light but by third gear your up to traffic speed and rolling pretty strong. I have a rack internal roll cage winch bumper, tire carrier and assorted light protection. I have no idea what all that stuff weighs. A guess is about 300 lbs. I'm going to TD engine soon but the NA has been a good little for the past 4 years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags