255/85 wheel spacer experience - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2005, 02:30 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

255/85 wheel spacer experience

is any one running 1" spacers on 255/85's with wolf wheels and a 2" OME. do they rub on the flares? I know it's easier to get new rims with an offest ...but I have two sets on/off road and spacers would be cheaper.

Thanks for the input.
-s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2005, 09:28 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

why would you want spacers, those fit perfect. The edge of the tire comes flush to the edge of the body. Going for that "jeep" look?
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM
D90user
steve

Not going for the jeep look. If you look closely the tires are ressed and when the wheel tucks up under the flare the is a good deal (1" mabye) of space between the tire and the flare. I like the cleel look, all I want is a slightly wider track to reduce my precived pucker factor. I managed to rest my truck on a tree last weekend at twin peaks in tahoe, if the tree wasn't there I would have completly tipped. Got me thinking of a wider track (and some better driving). I have seen a 110 with 255's and spacers and it looked clean, but I have no idea if it rubbed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2005, 03:03 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Strange, I have the same set-up without the spacers. My tires are in perfect line with the outside edge of my sliders. My rear tires rub against the plastic flare when stuffed, they barely rub, but I would imagine if I had spacers it would be bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1593.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	3418  
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM
D90user
steve

Thats what I'm wondering, myne don't rub on full stuff (except now because my bump stops are like putty). look at the top of the flare and notice that there is about an inch over hung on the tire, just at the top, and when the tire stuffs it archs in. if I can get an inch on each side, keep it in the flares and still have full articulation w/ no rub, then I would like to have the two inch gain in track width. I wish there was a way to test with out buying....any ideas.
Although mabye this is a mute point, will a 2 inch track width gain matter that much? I bet it won't hurt (except the wallet).
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

From my understanding, using a spacer will effect the strength of your drive train one way or another. I'm no engineer; however, something's going to get weaker from the added extension. Maybe someone else will chime about that point.
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It does put some extra leverage on the hubs, but not enough to matter. If you want them, get them.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, wheel, wheel spacer