200tdi won't start? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

What do the fuel lines look like? Is it pos to have a small leak letting air in untill there is enough rpm to get the lift pump to overcome this? It starts after a helper snort of starting fluid and runs good at that point, no smoke and smooth, and just will not restart? Once warm even low on compression it should restart... It should smoke if it is getting fuel while cranking... It dose sound like a fuel issue as it runs good once it starts so timing cant be far off, nor compression if it doesn't smoke white for the first few seconds after start up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I ran new braided AN hoses from the tanks, new lift pump and new tdi hoses and filter from the lift pump to the injector pump. Went over everything - tightening and looking for leaks.
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Heard back from the diesel shop today. Injection pump seriously worn. Small fortune to rebuild, but if parts arrive it may be done by tomorrow and I may have it back in by Wednesday afternoon. Fortunately, I'm off this week and the temps have moderated here in Dallas [Wish I were in Colorado, but I'll get there next month.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Starts Now :)

I got the injection pump back from the rebuild on Friday. Installed pump, reset timing belt, and closed everything up. Started first time Now I can put the radiator, and everything else back on the ltwt and move on to another project - because I'm tired of the learning lessions from this one. Cost was about $3000 to get the 200 tdi to run after buying the engine for $3200. It's beginning to look like $2000 to $3000 needs to be budgeted to get these "strong when it was pulled" engines working again.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Chris,

Can you post a list of what you had to do?

I am getting ready to install my defender 200tdi into my 90 so it would be a big help as I would know what to look out for and what to plan for.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I have come to the conclusion that we need to be leary of where and who were getting these engines from. They are great engines, but it is such a pain to pull them out to work on that it is best practice to do a few simple things before installing them. [Then again, maybe I'm a SH*T magnet ]

Next week I plan to get another canadian 300tdi on to the engine stand. My plan is to turn it over and do a compression test on the stand (I haven't done this before, so bear with me, I intend to do it). I will then pull the injection pump, injectors and turbo and take them to the diesel shop to get them tested and rebuilt if necessary. While that's being done, I can change the timing belt. If the compression test is questionable,, the head comes off. Then it's a matter of looking at the valves, the cylinders, etc to see what shape the engine is in and whether I need to flip it over and take it all apart.

On this 200 tdi, I had to buy a new starter motor, buy new injectors ($1000), rebuild the injection pump ($1100), valve job ($70), new rings, new head gasket, new head bolts, and various new gaskets. I am not using the turbo as this is going into a lightweight and I didn't need the hp or the headaches of plumbing an intercooler, exhaust, oil cooler, etc. If I had used the turbo from this engine (based on the injection pump), I would have been lookng at new turbo probably.

They are great engines and purr when they're set up correctly - and they have all functioning bits.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

So the vendor off this engine seriously misrepresented its condition. buyer beware for sure then. A friend of mine just bought a 300tdi from England via roverimports, hope it is a good one. I will pass along your story along with the advice of checking everything prior to installation.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Even if you get a "rebuilt" engine, things can go wrong. Got a 300 tdi to this side of the pond and it did fine for 250 miles. Then it started bellowing smoke - greatly reduced pressure cylinder number 2 - turns out number 2 cylinder had bent a rod - go back to guys in England - why did they rebuild the engine - engine had hydrolocked and bent number 2 rod. I pulled that engine completely apart and still don't know the cause of the second bent rod. Someday I'll put it back together and play with it, but you never know.

If you ever watch horsepower TV where they pull some engine out of the junkyard and rebuild it - that is what we are doing! Only the junkyard is in ENGLAND
Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Wow sounds like you had to do an entire rebuild

I had planned to replace the following on mine

Fuel pump
Water hoses
Water pump
PS hoses
Oil cooler hoses
Altenator
Timing belt
Starter

Having radiator tested (only 2 years old so it should be good)
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Pretty much - but it's getting easier the more I do
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
but it's getting easier the more I do
I have one you can practice on while you are here in Colorado
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:40 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Sounds like you were shafted on that 200. bad news
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You might look at the 2.5 TD engine turbo an exhaust/intake etc. Not set up for intercooler. May be just the ticket for a series lightweight. Freind of mine pointed it out to me some time back and may do the same for his project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
I have come to the conclusion that we need to be leary of where and who were getting these engines from. They are great engines, but it is such a pain to pull them out to work on that it is best practice to do a few simple things before installing them. [Then again, maybe I'm a SH*T magnet ]

Next week I plan to get another canadian 300tdi on to the engine stand. My plan is to turn it over and do a compression test on the stand (I haven't done this before, so bear with me, I intend to do it). I will then pull the injection pump, injectors and turbo and take them to the diesel shop to get them tested and rebuilt if necessary. While that's being done, I can change the timing belt. If the compression test is questionable,, the head comes off. Then it's a matter of looking at the valves, the cylinders, etc to see what shape the engine is in and whether I need to flip it over and take it all apart.

On this 200 tdi, I had to buy a new starter motor, buy new injectors ($1000), rebuild the injection pump ($1100), valve job ($70), new rings, new head gasket, new head bolts, and various new gaskets. I am not using the turbo as this is going into a lightweight and I didn't need the hp or the headaches of plumbing an intercooler, exhaust, oil cooler, etc. If I had used the turbo from this engine (based on the injection pump), I would have been lookng at new turbo probably.

They are great engines and purr when they're set up correctly - and they have all functioning bits.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Pendy - for my lightweight, i'm doing a 200 di - no intercooler, no turbo, no oil cooler. Supposed to give about 75-80 hp, which is more than adequate for the series drive train. I had thought about the 2.5 TD but had heard mixed reviews and 200 tdi engine presented itself so I went that route. It should be drveable next week and let you know whether power is adequate.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I think you misunderstood. I am saying source a turbo and exhaust manifold/intake from a TD and put it on the 200tdi. The TD engine never had intercooler so no extra pluming.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Might be interesting, if I see one I'll buy it and give it a try. Thanks for the info

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, start, tdi