200tdi valve cover bolt gasket problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

200tdi valve cover bolt gasket problems

Purchased the following Proline gasket set from Rovers North

GASKET SET DECARBONISING 200 TDI

I went to install the valve cover gasket today and the 3 gaskets with metal tops do not fit into my valve cover. I do not see a way to make them fit as the metal top is too big to fit into the valve cover properly.

Has anyone had this issue?

Will I have this issue with genuine parts as well or is this just what I get for being a cheap bastard and buying the Proline stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2009, 06:04 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The cap should fit "into" the cover.
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Bill B
Bill
73 S3 109 Tdi, 95 RRC

If you have a 200tdi valve cover it should have three rubber cones with a metal washer moulded into each cone. You should be able tp prise the three old cones out and push the three new ones in. If you you don't have a cover with them in, or the cover doesn't have conical depressions in it then it isn't a 200tdi Defender or Disco valve cover.
Bill B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I already removed the 3 cone shaped rubber gaskets with the metal tops, as far as I can tell there is no way that the ones Rovers North supplied are going to fit

I am kind of right now as this is the 2nd week in a row that their parts have halted work on my 200 due to the fact that the Proline overhaul gasket kit arrived with a torn gasket last week and now this.

Anyone happen to have the part number for the 3 cone shaped rubber gaskets that hold the valve cover down?
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Bill B
Bill
73 S3 109 Tdi, 95 RRC

That's a bugger. I have just finished rebuilding my Def 200tdi and got all the bits from John Craddock and Turners. The two overhaul kits for top and bottom did not have those in so ordered them from Craddocks. Part number is ERR663.
Good luck on getting it all done.
Bill B
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas

Anyone happen to have the part number for the 3 cone shaped rubber gaskets that hold the valve cover down?
ERR663

and the bolts are FS106256, but just M6 x 25mm bolts with a large washer will do.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:46 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Thanks for the part numbers, I placed an order for 3 and should have them next week.

My replacment gaskets from Rovers North are MIA, called them and asked them to check the shipping info and said they were deliverd Monday... to the wrong address
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Frustrating eh, I had a vendor ship me the wrong doors putting my entire build back 2 months since the paint needs to go on all the body panels at once. I am very much hoping the engine more or less just bolts back into place needing no more than a few studs but who knows at this point.

The end result is worth it though.... Please reassure me that it is!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Lets just say I am not happy with RN at this point

I got the replacement overhaul gasket kit today, I had to drive 50 miles to get it since they could not manage to get UPS to reroute the package to me

Still waiting on the 3 genuine gaskets that I had to order / pay for since the one’s provided in the proline decarbonising kit did not fit

Needless to say I will never purchase a proline part again, if something as simple as a gasket is troublesome to them I would hate to see what a more complex part is like…
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:45 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

I can always send them over from the UK.
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:04 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

that Proline stuff is hit or miss as it is all made by different manufacturers. Some of it is junk and some of it is the same as what would have been genuine parts were it still available as such. RN's efforts to offer "competitve pricing" have been frustrating to say the least, but generally the feedback has resulted in the junk being dropped and better parts being sourced.

As for the customer service and shipping issues........

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Agreed on the Proline gasket sets...el cheapo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
that Proline stuff is hit or miss as it is all made by different manufacturers. Some of it is junk and some of it is the same as what would have been genuine parts were it still available as such. RN's efforts to offer "competitve pricing" have been frustrating to say the least, but generally the feedback has resulted in the junk being dropped and better parts being sourced.

As for the customer service and shipping issues........
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Jamie,

thanks for the offer, I have a big order that I need to place with lrseries so if I do not have them soon I will just add them to my order.

To be honest I should have just purchased the gasket sets from lrseries, they have great prices and really good customers service. I can honestly say that I have been 100% satisfied with everything I have purchased from them and only purchased this stuff from Rovers North so I could get it a little quicker.... I can say that LRseries would have had it here faster and for less money at this point
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

oddly for me as it seems if there is a possibility of a part being bad I get a bad one (I use allot of parts) I just used a Proline top end set for a 200tdi and did not have any issues at all.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Once the Land Rover genuine part arrives I will compare them. I do not think it is my valve cover but you never know
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The LR parts arrived today, compared them side by side and the proline part is not even close to being the correct part. The metal top of the proline is 1.110 the factory part is .980 for a diffrence of .130. There is no metal bushing in the middle of the proline part and the shape of the rubber is diffrent.

Installed the LR part and it was a perfect fit.

Needless to say I will never buy another proline part
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	23014   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket (1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	23015  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gasket (2).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	23016  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, cover, gas, problems, tdi