200tdi timing belt change - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

200tdi timing belt change

I probably already know the answer to this, but here goes:

I have the radiator, intercooler and frame out of the 110 now as I replace the radiator. While I have it all pulled apart, coolant and oil drained, etc, this seems like a good time to replace the timing belt that's in it. PO felt as though there were maybe 40K on the exitisting belt (but who knows).

Is it worth the time and effort to replace the belt at this point? Has anyone local actually done so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I have, and it is exceeding easy with all that crap out of the truck.

you can use but DONT NEED the timing pin tool for the flywheel and the timing pin for the injection pump.

In place of the timing pin tool for the flywheel i drilled and tapped a spare wading plug i had for a 4mm bolt and used this instead. Or you could just forgot it all together and eyeball it. The injection pump pin can be replaced with a drill bit, just select the one with the snugest fit through tthe hole in the belt gear and the injector case.

You WILL NEED:

Bar or gauge style 3/8 torque wrench and a second clicker style 3/8 torque wrench
New idler pulley and possibly a new lower belt gear depending on the type.

Just get one of the kits with a conti belt and all the pulleys included, if it does not come with a new front timing cover gasket, get one of thoes too.

If you have a defender 200tdi, you might as well do the waterpump at the same time
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Good data there, thanks. Strangely it doesn't appear that BP or AB carry a 200tdi kit. I'll call RN in the morning, but paddock has the for about $60. Might as well do water pump and belts at the same time I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Yes, it would be a good time to do all you have mentioned. Much easier of a job with everything you have removed.
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tony:

Though you don't need it, I have the pin kit and some other tools (except for the crankshaft tool) to do this. I'd actually be willing to/want to give you a hand so that when it comes time for my Tdi belt change I'm well versed in it. Let's put together a wrenching party. I know Bobeck has done one, not sure who else locally.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
defiitely do the water pump @ame time. Took me about 3hrs the first time. 200's are a bit more of a pain than a 300.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 27th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Begs the question: how different is the 200 from the 300?
Old August 28th, 2012, 01:00 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Is it worth the time and effort to replace the belt at this point? Has anyone local actually done so?
Hey Tony, I did my 200tdi timing belt in my apartment parking lot in one night. With the right tools and parts on hand it's easy. The only thing I removed was the fan shroud and it was still a piece of cake.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
200 and 300 are dramtically different in so much as the engine was designed for the belt to be easier to change. 200 tdi the entire front cover comes off complete with water pump. On a 300 there are two covers and the water jacket is kept seperate so the waterpump doesn't get disturbed on a 300. Also one serp belt to remove vs all the v belts.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 28th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind
I know Bobeck has done one, not sure who else locally.
I've done mine too. A lot of steps, but pretty simple and worth the peace of mind.

Semper Fi!
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Timing belt kit and water pump are on their way. I wound up ordering from the UK since neither AB nor BP carry the kit and RN has to order the kit from the UK anyway.
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Timing belt kit and water pump are on their way. I wound up ordering from the UK since neither AB nor BP carry the kit and RN has to order the kit from the UK anyway.
Keep us posted when it gets here, we'll round the troops and do a wrench-fest at your place.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 31st, 2012, 01:03 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Tony:

Though you don't need it, I have the pin kit and some other tools (except for the crankshaft tool) to do this. I'd actually be willing to/want to give you a hand so that when it comes time for my Tdi belt change I'm well versed in it. Let's put together a wrenching party. I know Bobeck has done one, not sure who else locally.
Yep Bobeck did a 300Tdi with me and I believe he also did his 300tdi with the engine out.
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Apparently the Rover Gods don't want me to do this job. Literally nobody in the States seems to carry the timing belt kit. Roversnorth has a stock number but it's special order. I tried to order it from Paddocks but they simply forgot to send it . . .

Anyone know of a domestic source that has the kit in stock?
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did you try Loco George?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

haven't been able to get through to him. Roversnorth can have it to me in 2 weeks or I can have it in 3 days if I order the parts seperately, but then the price doubles. This cant really be this esoteric of a part, can it?
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:29 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
mail@roversdownsouth.com - he's usually pretty responsive, give him a shout.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I've had great success ordering from Dingocroft and have been using them since '99 or so. They sell better parts IMO than Paddock and DLS for a just a little more money. They are great at shipping and I get everything in about 3 days and it is always very well packed and often genuine parts. And I never get dinged for extra fees or duties either. They are slow to answer email but usually quite fast when I call.
Ask for Tim Britnell.

-----------------------------------

Dingocroft - suppliers of Land Rover genuine and original equipment parts, accessories, manuals etc.
Tel: UK 01494 796001, Fax: UK 01494 459964

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk
Our address is: Dingocroft (Penn Rental Service Ltd t/as), High Street, Downley, High Wycombe, Bucks HP13 5XJ
VAT no. GB 209 1483 73, Company registration no. 1163210 (England)
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

George had the parts in stock, as did DAP, but DAP was substantially cheaper.
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I think because George uses only Genuine parts and DAP uses britpart/allmakes

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi