Defender Source Forum banner

200TDI swap air filter box ideas

Tags
200tdi tdi
20K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  javelinadave 
#1 ·
Before I got my truck, someone very hastily swapped a 200TDI. I've been slowly chasing down all the issues over time as you guys have seen. Now it's time to address the air filter situation...

The swapper left the 2.25 diesel oil bath filter. That's got to go. I have seen many different installations and ideas. I want something that uses a factory filter, so that it can be replaced easily in the future. So cone filters and that type of stupidity are out. I may want to add a snorkel in the future, so that's a consideration.

Here's my current setup:

Anyone have any ideas that they feel are pretty slick?

See less See more
#2 ·
To start with DO NOT use an oil bath air cleaner.
I used an air filter from a 1993 Chrysler New Yorker.
It tucks under the left wing nicely.

Also 80s era GM V6 vehicles use a small round air filter about 1/2 the size of the oil bath unit.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
That turned out really nice Dave, but Danny doesn't have a 2.5NA filter.
He has an oil bath.

#7 ·
I would like to fix the (300tdi) housing up on the left wing.

But I'm not quite sure about what our surveillance agency will tell me, the next time when showing my car? :hide:

But I'm pretty sure this way of locating the airfilter is in use! :thumb:

#9 ·
I just happen to have a few of these hanging around the shop if you want one......$25 and the ride....

#13 ·
2.5 filter housings......
Dave....send me a couple more pics of that "mod" you did. Looks good!

#15 ·
I'm sure that between Newman and Dave you can arrive at a solution, but you could consider a 200tdi air filter housing and factory mounting bracket. That what I went with when I did my 200 swap. It looks similar and might be the same as a 2.5 but that's for the experts to determine.

#19 ·
Nice job. There is no doubt I will be in touch.

#22 ·
The filter is held in by one bolt through the lower bracket.
You remove the bolt, pull out the filter pop the top off and swap the element.
It only takes a few minutes.

#23 ·
I removed the filter housing to get some better pictures. Here is an overhead view of the entire bracket. It measures approximately 21 1/2" by 6 1/2".

Front mounting point.

Rear mounting point.

Tubing from the snorkel to the filter housing.

I purchased all the silicone tubing from http://stores.ebay.com/qqqusa/ off of EBay. All quality stuff and shipped very quickly from I believe California and not China.
I hope this helps somebody out. As always I'm happy to answer any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.