200TDI Starter motor ordered TOO big - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2018, 09:25 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

200TDI Starter motor ordered TOO big

Hey Guys, having some trouble finding the RIGHT starter motor for my car. I have a 1991 D90 200TDI. I ordered one from LDParts in the UK and its about 1 - 1.5 inches longer than the one that was in there and it doesn't fit but they seem to think it should. Anyone have this same issue? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Never had this issue but pics/part number/measurements will help us help
You
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Have you tried to get your current one rebuilt? Whats the part number they sent you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2018, 09:43 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Have you tried to get your current one rebuilt? Whats the part number they sent you?
Thank you its Britpart # NAD500210. No have not tried to get current one rebuilt my mechanic never gave me that as an option, plus this part cost $88 so I figure that would be cheaper anyway. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
correct part no. Who's telling you it does not fit ? Why doesnt it fit - hitting the down pipe ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 18th, 2018, 09:54 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I've only replaced my starter once and I replaced it with a cheap Valeo. It's given me no issues.

Here's the parts interchange page:

LAND ROVER DEFENDER Station Wagon 2.5 90,110 TDI Starter Motor Parts
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:04 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
correct part no. Who's telling you it does not fit ? Why doesnt it fit - hitting the down pipe ?
My Mechanic he had to take the exhasut off i guess he is saying that its a very small area where it goes in and he did show me the one that came out of the car and the one that i have and the new one is about 1.5 inches longer...
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:09 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I guess to answer your question, yes there are two different sizes.

ERR5009 is the smaller size.

Both should fit, though..in theory.
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:11 AM
rdavisinva
Guess Who?
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJames View Post
My Mechanic he had to take the exhasut off i guess he is saying that its a very small area where it goes in and he did show me the one that came out of the car and the one that i have and the new one is about 1.5 inches shorter...
If you were sent a 2.5 N/A starter it is too big.
We have 2.2 KS starters in stock and will have some of the heavy duty 3.1KW starters in 30 days.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:15 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
If you were sent a 2.5 N/A starter it is too big.
We have 2.2 KS starters in stock and will have some of the heavy duty 3.1KW starters in 30 days.
Sorry i corrected the post the new starter i received model # NAD500210 which is a Britpart is 1.5 inches LONGER than what came out of the truck.

------ Follow up post added January 18th, 2018 10:17 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I guess to answer your question, yes there are two different sizes.

ERR5009 is the smaller size.

Both should fit, though..in theory.
This would make sense, so you are saying the ERR5009 is smaller than the NAD500210? Sorry i just want to be 100% sure before i pull the trigger. thanks
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:26 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJames View Post
This would make sense, so you are saying the ERR5009 is smaller than the NAD500210? Sorry i just want to be 100% sure before i pull the trigger. thanks
In theory.

Without photos of your problem, without actual documented evidence, I offer no guarantees.

No idea what your mechanic has, what was in your truck, what you received, what you expected, whatever. We have no idea what to go on except that you ordered a part, got something that was "too long" which makes no sense because all starters should fit.

Like I said, both starters should fit. It makes no sense that the NAD500210 starter doesn't fit. The Bosch ERR5009 and Valeo I know for sure are short, as the photos attached show.

No idea what Britpart is shipping when you order.

The problem is that some starters built by different manufacturers are using long-bodies under the same part numbers. It sounds like Britpart is selling long-body starters. So if you order from LRDirect and order ERR5009 and they ship you britpart, you'll probably end up with a long-body starter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	err5009b.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	347017  
Attached Images

Old January 18th, 2018, 10:35 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
In theory.

Without photos of your problem, without actual documented evidence, I offer no guarantees.

No idea what your mechanic has, what was in your truck, what you received, what you expected, whatever. We have no idea what to go on except that you ordered a part, got something that was "too long" which makes no sense because all starters should fit.

Like I said, both starters should fit. It makes no sense that the NAD500210 starter doesn't fit. The Bosch ERR5009 and Valeo I know for sure are short, as the photos attached show.

No idea what Britpart is shipping when you order.
Thanks, i ordered the ERR5009 Part i even saw notes on another site that the ERR5009 is the "smaller" version. I am sure this will work. If not i will have stock for EBAY! Rovers North sells these parts for $430 when they can be purchased from the UK for less than $100. Sweet business! Thanks
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm sure it is fine. I've used bigger and smaller ones. There is no reason for them not to fit unless you have non standard exhaust. There is nothing in the way.

You must remove the exhaust to install.

That all said, buy the 3.1 kW one from Robert. They are great.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 18th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Do everyone a favor and when you get this new starter in can you take two pictures comparing them side-by-side and post it up
Old January 18th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You must remove the exhaust to install.
For this reason, on my 1991 200TDI, I changed to a 2.5TD downpipe. It has a flange just after the elbow. It makes servicing in that part of the engine bay MUCH easier. It is less of a problem if your are RHD. With LHD, the area is very crowded.

Old January 18th, 2018, 01:12 PM
rdavisinva
Guess Who?
N/A

I think the longer starter should fit fine.
The issue is probably the mechanic has no clue, or someone did a transplant and the down pipe is restricting the starter.
If the pipe is as close that a 1.5" longer starter doesn't fit, then the old starter probably had the commutator end fried by the exhaust heat and the whole front exhaust needs to be rerouted.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old January 23rd, 2018, 10:52 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Hi All thanks so much everyone for chiming in. I did replace the exhaust on this car with aftermarket but stock replacement, but the mechanic said he had to remove part of it to get to the starter so that is NOT the issue the space where the starter actually goes is too small for the bigger started. So the 2nd Starter i ordered is ALSO too big!! I have attached photos this time. the photos with the sticker and other photo with the stamp MSP1606 are both from the original starter that FITS. i have a side by side of the starter that fits next to one of the new ones that dont fit. Does anyone know what brand the starter is with the sticker and stamp? I googled it and nothing comes up. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4257.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	348705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4258.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	348713  

Name:	IMG_4259.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	348721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4260.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	348729  

Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:07 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Show us pictures of how they do not fit. What are they hitting?

Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:10 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'm not a starter expert, but you have the shortest starter available. There's no way that the starter is the problem here

Edit: Um....waiiit a second. Are you sure you don't have a disco 200tdi? Because your old starter doesn't have the aluminum bumpout.

It still shouldn't matter though. Is it possible that your mechanic doesn't know what he is doing?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:31 AM
rdavisinva
Guess Who?
N/A

I'm with John B on this one.
Show us a picture of each starter mounted and what the specific interference is.
I think that huge bump-out is in the way and someone sent you a replacement starter for a 2.5 N/A.
If you bought this starter in UK, you could be SOL.

We have the correct fitting 2.2 KW starter in stock and the more powerful Heavy Duty 3.1 KW model due here on 2/18/18.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, motor, start, starter, tdi