Defender Source Forum banner

200tdi squeeling timing belt

Tags
200tdi tdi
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Landysam 
#1 ·
Good afternoon
I have a land rover 90 with a 200tdi out of a discovery. I havnt had the landy very long and notcied that the vibration dampner was loose,i thought as it was loose id do the timing belt incase it had damaged anything behind the cover. Ive changed the belt and tensioners and followed every thing by the book using the correct tools ie locking pins and a dial indicating torque wrench. But for some reason the belt is squeeling once the engine has been running for about half hour. Ive removed drive belts to confirm its not them ive removed the cover twice and checked over every and all looks as it should. The only thing i had an issue was was the static idler bolt as it has been helicoiled out to 12mm so i got a machiniest friend to open the hole out to 12 mm on his lathe so i could fit the idler pulley. Has any one experienced this before ? If so any info aboult how to solve this many thanks Sam

#2 · (Edited)
Never heard of a timing belt squeeling.
You'll have to tear the front of the engine again to investigate.
My money is on bearing noise.

#4 ·
Exactly... if that re-machined bit has the bearing slightly cocked after it gets a little warm with 30 minutes of run time, you hear it crying out loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.