200tdi squeeling timing belt - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Landysam
Sam
1988 90

200tdi squeeling timing belt

Good afternoon
I have a land rover 90 with a 200tdi out of a discovery. I havnt had the landy very long and notcied that the vibration dampner was loose,i thought as it was loose id do the timing belt incase it had damaged anything behind the cover. Ive changed the belt and tensioners and followed every thing by the book using the correct tools ie locking pins and a dial indicating torque wrench. But for some reason the belt is squeeling once the engine has been running for about half hour. Ive removed drive belts to confirm its not them ive removed the cover twice and checked over every and all looks as it should. The only thing i had an issue was was the static idler bolt as it has been helicoiled out to 12mm so i got a machiniest friend to open the hole out to 12 mm on his lathe so i could fit the idler pulley. Has any one experienced this before ? If so any info aboult how to solve this many thanks Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2015, 11:08 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Never heard of a timing belt squeeling.
You'll have to tear the front of the engine again to investigate.
My money is on bearing noise.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 18th, 2015, 11:23 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Squealing belts are caused by slipping, and it's impossible for a toothed belt like the timing belt to slip in such a way to make any noise. As Robert said it is almost certainly a failed idler pulley bearing. Perhaps when your machinist bored it out he caused some unknown damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2015, 11:34 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Squealing belts are caused by slipping, and it's impossible for a toothed belt like the timing belt to slip in such a way to make any noise. As Robert said it is almost certainly a failed idler pulley bearing. Perhaps when your machinist bored it out he caused some unknown damage.
Exactly... if that re-machined bit has the bearing slightly cocked after it gets a little warm with 30 minutes of run time, you hear it crying out loud.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:06 AM
Landysam
Sam
1988 90

Thanks for replys guys i shall look into the idler pulley:-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi