200tdi spill rail leak - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 17th, 2016, 11:07 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Back to top - anyone ever snap off the head of the bolt (ERR1200) while it was in the injector ??

If so, how would one, hypothetically of course, go about removing said banjo bolt from the injector ??

This may or may not have happened on a 200Tdi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Easy out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:22 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2016, 09:09 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
Hello all, my 200tdi has developed a pretty significant fuel leak from the spill rail hoses. This started after the head and valves were completely redone. Engine runs better than ever but I see the fuel and the lines are wet. I have replaced them all with braided (what was on it to start) appropriately sized hose but still they leak. What's the next step?
Chris:
If my theory is correct, you won't be able to stop the leak.
What I see all the time are injectors that are damaged right where the washer on the spill over banjo bolt goes.
This gouging happens when people remove the injectors from the head and put a wrench, pliers, or vice grips on the top of the injector right where the crush washer goes.
The gouge leaves a channel that the fuel takes a path through and no amount of tightening the banjo bolt will stop the leak.
The next thing that happens is the same knucklehead that gouged the injector will over tighten the banjo bolt trying to stop the leak and break the hollow banjo bolt off inside the injector.
People get angry, act shitty, and so on when they send me 200TDI injector cores that can't be used and loose the $125 core value.
In some cases, the area where the crush washer seats against the injector housing can be machined flat, but the setup and machine work for this runs between $50 & $100 to have done properly.
It's tough to provide exchange sustainability when people are careless when they remove the injector cores.
So my theory is that one or more of your injectors has a gouge providing a leak channel for the spill over fuel.

You should be able to see the gouges, if my theory is correct.
My only clue is that you stated "this started after the head and valves were completely redone" and this generally involves removing and replacing the injectors.

Drew at Sarek Autowerke in Richmond, VA came up with the best way to remove 200TDI injectors. He welded 2 nuts together to fit a slide hammer.
This allows Drew to connect the slide hammer to the injector where the fuel line connects and with one slide, jank it out of the head.

Check the crush washer seating area of your injectors and let us know if you find any gouges.
It doesn't take much to let the pressurized fuel leak by

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 18th, 2016, 10:55 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Dunno if it helps but when ever I need to take the injectors out, I use an open wrench on the body of the injector to free it. Rocking from right to left. Usually it's easy and fast. When I put them back I apply a generous coat of copper grease for futur removal.

If they are stuck, apply generous amout of "mouse milk".
Old June 18th, 2016, 11:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Dunno if it helps but when ever I need to take the injectors out, I use an open wrench on the body of the injector to free it. Rocking from right to left. Usually it's easy and fast. When I put them back I apply a generous coat of copper grease for futur removal.

If they are stuck, apply generous amount of "mouse milk".
If you place the wrench in the spill over crush washer seating area you risk damaging the surface.
When you turn the injector back and forth, you risk loosening it when moving it counterclockwise. If it comes loose the internals can get out of alignment, then when it is tightened back, it cam damage the internal parts.

Anti-seize is a good idea.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 24th, 2016, 08:47 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Follow up: fortunately, the banjo bolt did not snap off flush to the injector; the threaded part of the bolt was exposed, so I was able to simply spin it out.

Fortunately, no need for screw extractor. Gave the injector the ole' Robert Davis inspection and there are no gouges in the crush washer seating area. Lucky on both counts!

Tip for next time...order extra crush washers. I dropped one and spent 15 minutes trying to reach it before I surrendered and called in the reinforcements: one of my daughters small hands.

Sealed up and back on the road.
Old June 24th, 2016, 09:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Follow up: fortunately, the banjo bolt did not snap off flush to the injector; the threaded part of the bolt was exposed, so I was able to simply spin it out. Fortunately, no need for screw extractor. Gave the injector the ole' Robert Davis inspection and there are no gouges in the crush washer seating area. Lucky on both counts! Tip for next time...order extra crush washers. I dropped one and spent 15 minutes trying to reach it before I surrendered and called in the reinforcements: one of my daughters small hands. Sealed up and back on the road.
Nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi