200tdi spigot bush removal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2014, 03:52 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
200tdi spigot bush removal?

Does anyone have a tip on how to remove the spigot bush on a 200tdi?

I just spent about an hour trying to use the "pack the hole with grease" and use various sockets and extensions and a hammer to hydraulically extract the bushing, but it is not moving one bit.

Any tips short of buying a puller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Ed, grease has worked in the past for me, however I've also hooked the edge of a hex bolt behind the bush then passed it through the hole in a socket and wound it out far enough to grip with mole grips and then twisted it out.

have also cut through the bush with a snapped hacksaw blade then used a punch to start it turning was then easy to hook out with a spring hook.

have also made a hook out of flat bar, clamped the end with mole grips and beat the shit out of the grips like a sort of hillbilly slide hammer - this has worked twice, but once gave me a huge bruise on my shin when I missed with the hammer.

regards
Gren
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Grease sucks for this. To hydraulically force it out, I pack the hole with wet toilet paper and use a close fitting punch wrapped with a few layers of electrical tape to provide a snug fit. This method also works very well to remove the blind bushing in a Discovery rear drive shaft with the rubber donut joint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi