Defender Source Forum banner

200tdi smoke under any acceleration

Tags
200tdi ac tdi
7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  NPT90 
#1 ·
For a variety of reasons I had to be a pocketbook mechanic for my top end rebuild. I finally got my truck back but it still needs some fine tuning.

Basically, I am seeing a noticeable black haze with any acceleration even with low rpms. Frankly, not sure if it is an issue, but is new after doing a bunch of work. Under hard acceleration it is a decent cloud. The egts are low with a max of maybe 850/900 on the highway at 65 ish. The boost is about 15. Max speed seems to be about 70 ish. Also, I have noticed that going from a stop is sluggish. I basically can't get moving until the turbo kicks in.

I'm fairly confident it has to do with the IP. Most of the engine has been overhauled with new injectors, header, head gasket, Alisport intercooler and radiator along with a VNT turbo.

I'd like to tackle this myself, but being newbie I am a little intimidated about the possibility of making things worse.

It seems like I have two issues - the low speed power and smoke under load. So do I start by turning in the smoke screw and then back off on the star wheel?

#3 ·
I can't find any obstructions. The only issue I can see is the air intake is just laying in the engine. When it was converted from a 2.5 there was not good option. I had a snorkel but that seems too restrictive with the VNT.

Should I try turning back the max fuel?

#4 ·
Likely you have a leaking injector.
Regardless if brand new or old, trash in the fuel will clog the injector nozzle and make it leak fuel.

#6 ·
If you don't have a pop-tester, you can remove the injectors one at a time and use the poor mans pop tester.

#8 ·
The smoke is not abnormal, but to have low EGTs and poor power with it is strange.

^^ All good things to check. Another possible place to look is timing. The timing belt could be off a tooth on the cam. The injection timing could be off. It is best to check with a dial gauge, but confirm the pin method is dead on.

On the intake restriction discussion, you need to check for hoses that collapse internally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.